328 Stalk Help | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kyle Veit

Kyle Veit Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle Veit
    Hello.

My 86 328 brake lights do not seem to work and I believe it has something to do with the stalk. I replaced the stalk months ago because I was encountering a problem of only the right side brake lights working and the headlights only turning on in an odd position on the headlight switch. After I replaced the stalk with a much better condition one, the brake lights and headlights seemed to work fine. Now a few months later, I am encountering the same problems except, neither of the brake lights work and the headlights again only turning on in a very odd position. It is hard to explain but the headlights only flip up if you turn the headlight switch about 90% on and dont flip it all the way.

I need help with this I was told I should clean the stalk connections but Im not sure that is the fix. The fuses are good as well.

Thank you in advance.

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Most cars have a switch behind the brake pedal that activates the lights. I have replaced that on my truck when I had no brake lights. Does the third brake light in the back window work?

My turn signals did not work once and it was a sticky hazard switch.

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Mule is correct. Check the switch at the petal. It has two wires, jump them, if the brake lights come on, replace the switch.

4. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I had the same problem with my 328 that was picked up during my annual inspection..
    Replaced the switch and all was good..

5. Kyle Veit

Kyle Veit Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle Veit
    Hello.
    My 86 328 brake lights and turn signal lights do not seem to work and I believe it has something to do with the stalk. The green little lights on the dash don't even turn on at all when the blinkers are on. I replaced the stalk a year ago because I was encountering a problem of only the right side brake lights working and the headlights only turning on in an odd position on the headlight switch. After I replaced the stalk with a much better condition one, the brake lights and headlights seemed to work fine. A few months later, I am encountering the same problems except, neither of the brake lights works and the headlights again only turning on in a very odd position, and turn signals not working at all. Also, my hazard switch is stuck up I believe the spring is messed up so the hazards do not turn off unless you jam a hammer to keep it down. How do I go about removing the hazard switch and reinstalling a different one?

I need help with this I was told I should clean the stalk connections and I did that with a battery terminal cleaner I got at Napa and still, nothing works.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What version 328? US, euro, Swiss? The brake lights and turn signals not working from the same fault would probably put the failure way upstream (can't think, without checking, how the anything in the headlight stalk or turn signal stalk would affect the brake lights operation, but need to know version to look at the correct corresponding wiring diagram).

7. Kyle Veit

Kyle Veit Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle Veit
    I believe it is a US spec.

8. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    The one time that I pressed my hazard switch, it worked but would not stay down. So I had to remove it and fix/adjust it. Search the threads and you should find what to do, with pictures. For the lights, I had problems with the arm/switch that you rotate to get the lights on. The wires came loose in the arm and had to be resoldered. That switch can be removed, carefully, to see the wires at the end. Be careful, there is a small ball bearing at the end that could fall out when you remove it. There is also a thread on that too.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  10. Kyle Veit

Kyle Veit Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle Veit
  11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I presume you can disconnect the stalk and bypass the spade connectors in order to mimic the stalk, if it still does not work your problem is not on the stalk itself. My own 400i had plenty of light faults, that were related to an ugly modification presumably made by the dealer when importing the car from Italy.

If its the stalk, unobtainium supply can fix it ( http://www.unobtainiumsupply.com/ ) .

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The brake lights and emergency flasher (which then supplies +12V to the turn signal system) get +12V power from the same place. Recommend you:

1. Check fuse #23 (15A) -- if blown (and continues to blow) this may be due to your failed emergency flasher switch (so that would need to be fixed first)

2. If fuse #23 is OK, try unplugging, inspecting the two green wire connection, and replugging the w connector to wipe the connections. Bottom line is those two green wires in the w connector need to be +12V when the key is "on" for the brake lights and turn signals to work (but the emergency flasher switch also has to be OK in the "off" position to then send +12V to the turn signal system).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C

Brake lights depend on the pedal. not the switch ....

Im not really sure, but this may help you. I think.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I think you have two different issues. The brake lights misbehaving have nothing to do with the turn signals misbehaving.

15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login With regard to the turn signal issue..
    Last year my 308 QV seem to be developing a slight issue with turn signals. Could flip the stock left,and no turn signal but if I ever so slightly put a little pressure on the stock the signal would illuminate and blink accordingly. Later on I removed the steering wheel when I was removing the dash to have recovered. Remembered the stock issue and I just went in the shop and had a can of this stuff. (electronic parts cleaner) sprayed some into The turn signal assembly and let’s set. They’ve worked like a champ ever sense. Thought maybe it was worth mentioning. Not sure battery terminal cleaner is what you want to be using. Maybe wait to hear from Steve Magnusson.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Already replied in the Technical Q&A forum (I hate it when people post the same question in different forums).

308 milano likes this.
  17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I started to have a multiple electrical gremlins with the lights and switches and some other stuff, turned out my fuse board needed to be rebuilt,now everything is working perfectly on my 89 328.

Thank you

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hmm... First time I have heard of any issue with the 328 panel (as opposed to the 308 panel)!.. :(