Tire Recommendations | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Tire Recommendations

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sledge4.2, Jul 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Well, I was replying specifically to Santa Fe Jeff who posted yesterday, not to the rest of the thread and it's point that was nearly 11 years dead prior to Jeff's post. ;)

Yes, the Extreme Performance 200TW tires will have far more grip than UHP or Max Summer tires or UHP All-season tires - and far more grip than the car was designed for back in the 70s or 80s. Tire and suspension recommendations actually go hand in hand - spring rates on a sports car are (should be) selected based on the grip from the specified tires. Having too much tire grip can overwhelm the stock shocks and springs - that's why I mentioned that even the latest UHP all-season tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 have more grip and traction than anything available in 1985. For something like the Yoko A052, you'd need at least double, more like triple the spring rates to fully use that grip (and at that point the chassis is too soft without reinforcing/stiffening).

Without running autocross or track days, I'd suggest the Extreme Performance 200TW tires are overkill, too much for a stock-suspended 308.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I ran that class (now discontinued RE11s, as posted in this same thread 11 years ago) with my otherwise stock 328 and completely agree it was overkill. It was nearly impossible to break traction without driving far too aggressively for street driving.

It was overkill in all areas except one keep exception...braking performance. Braking was orders of magnitude better. Given the tires otherwise cost the same and again, I never hit mileage/wear before the 5 year mark, still felt it was the best path for a strictly no snow/>50degF driving only car.

Case in point, I am waiting for Bridgestone to bring over the RE-71RS for both my 512TR and 6.0, and use its predecessor, the RE-71R on my 575. The RE-71RS appears to be inferior (absolute grip) vs the RE-71R, but it comes in wider range of sizes with what appears to be a more progressive break away (and as you mention, for their comparatively older designed suspensions).

If driven occasionally in a snow or dusting, heavy rain (as in aquaplane risk), in under 50deg (and definitely under 45), or with any real frequency such its 200 wear would an issue.... I agree with you completely. In fact I use Continental ExtremeContact DWS for that very reason on my daily drivers and my wife's cars. It is a great tire, now with a recent updated "Plus" version. Phenomenal tires I would trust my family on.

3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I went for the OEM Pirelli P7's and couldn't be happier nearly 2 years on.

Look amazing and the car handles really well. Can't ask for more.

Not the cheapest solution but if you've got a Ferrari that shouldn't be your first consideration.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Concur! Mark's 328 looks great in the new "old school" P7's.

Thomas Magnum and Rosey like this.
  5. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Is Anybody using Michelin Primacy 4 on a 328?

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes; got these recently on my GTS, after a set of Pilot Exalto that were eight years old. The GTB is still on Pilot Exalto, now three years old.
    No marked difference, but I don't push the GTS hard. But they are better than the former Primacy, which were rather for tourism, not for sports car, though.

Rgds

RodC328gts likes this.
  7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    They will be my next ones

ciao

Rosey likes this.
  8. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Very pleased with the Pirelli P7s. Almost 1K miles on them so far. They look great too!

Du_Man, Rosey, RodC328gts and 2 others like this.
  9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Simply the best choice possible

Ciao

Du_Man and Rosey like this.
  10. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    there are also the PZero Rosa
    there is also the PZero Collezione. Which are like 200 dlls less

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #61 Albert-LP, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Pzero came out in 1987. So no 308 ever was factory equipped with PZero: that's the reason why on a 308 like Thomas Magnum one the best choice is P7 Collezione, P7 was the factory tire for Italian cars with 16" option rim: P7 collezione has the original look and name with a modern compound.

Ciao

Rosey, Thomas Magnum and RodC328gts like this.
  12. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Salve Alberto. I think I was just asking around for the tire, wasn’t thinking about period correct.

i own a 1988 328. And just looking for good tires.
    I was offered Michelin Primacy 4.

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Technically every modern tire is more than enough. What Pirelli engineer told us is that the biggest problem when making the P7 Collezione compound was to take one with not too much grip, as it woul destroy the car original balance. He told that using a an ultra grip compound (like PZero R) requires a new suspension setup. So they choose a better grip compound than the original but not too much.

Ciao

Thomas Magnum and RodC328gts like this.
  14. robertcope

robertcope Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Robert B. Cope
    Getting my P7s installed this week. Pretty excited about it, probably unreasonably so! But it really should get the look right!

15. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Here's a pic of the P7 Collezione's on my GTB (225/50-16 fronts and 245/45-16 rears)
    Look is period correct and, to me, the ride and handling greatly improved over the prior tires...

Rosey, Thomas Magnum and RodC328gts like this.
  16. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    more pics please.
    Side pics.

I would really appreciate it. I’m considering this option right now. Or go the traditional sizes.

17. robertcope

robertcope Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Robert B. Cope
    Rosey and RodC328gts like this.
  18. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Rosey likes this.
  19. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
  20. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Du_Man likes this.
  21. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    I like that idea and had thought about it after going with 225/245. The 225/50-16's fit decent on the factory 7" x16" wheels, but they're ever so slightly wide for the 7" wheel. From a "measured rim" range standpoint, 225mm works fine on a 7" width rim. You may get a little more understeer.

I were to over again today, I'd seriously consider the 205/55-16 front with 245/45-16 rears. It's interesting, the 245/45-16 tire on the 8" wide rear wheels are spot on from a visual aspect of tire sidewall to rim look, the fronts are slightly "bulgy." That said, the 225 front width does give a more menacing front stance.

RodC328gts likes this.
  22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #72 Rosey, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    They look great buddy !!

I've had my set for over 2 years now and love them.

Other than the cost (which is not over the top) I seriously don't know why every 328 and those 308's with 16" alloys don't use them.

Best decision I have made.

Attached Files:

• p7.jpeg
      p7.jpeg
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
  23. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Let me take it one further.....how about 205/55/16 on all fours? Consistent tire size all around? From a visual perspective only, I just like the skinnier look to match the size of the 14inch wheels/tires.

24. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    I so agree! Regarding 205 or 225 front tires, I tried to take similar angle top-down pics of the front 225/50-16 P7's on the 7" wide front wheels (with a little more sidewall rubber showing) vs. the rear 245/45-16 P7's on the 8" wide wheels (with a better sidewall to rim match). Hope this helps...

Front:

Rear:

RodC328gts likes this.
  25. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    wheels are 7J and 8J.
    IMO 205 too small for 8J

rear wheel drive and heavy weight on the back, makes sense for a wider tire on the back.

Edit: I just noticed you have 14” wheels. I don’t know about that. I have a 328 with 16” wheels