1981 Ferrari 308 GTSi R2 Points Bypass | FerrariChat

1981 Ferrari 308 GTSi R2 Points Bypass

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nicolasaubry, Sep 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nicolasaubry

nicolasaubry Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Aubry
    Hello everyone,

My 308 has been idling very rough recently and wanting to cut out, but at higher rpms it seems fine. After doing some research, I believe that the r2 points are the culprit. What is the easiest way to temporarily bypass them for the sake of diagnostics. I really do not know much about distributors so please describe it as simply as possible if you can. I am no mechanic lol. Thank you all in advance for all your help!

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Put a piece of electrical tape over the contacts on that set of points.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    R2 points were last used on 1979 US version carb 308 (so not present on a 1981 308i of any version). Can you be more specific about what year/model/version 308? The 1980-81 timeframe was when VINs got standardized so you might still have a non-standardized VIN (and "model year" in Europe could more represent when the paperwork was created rather than the car), but, if you have the standardized 17-digit VIN, you can decode it here: http://www.red-headed.com/vin.html

4. nicolasaubry

nicolasaubry Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Aubry
    Oh I did not know that. It is a US spec 1981 308 GTSi 2V. Any other suggestions on what it could be then?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    So many things :(. Your symptom could be fuel as easily as ignition. The usual investigation strategy is:

1. Examine the easy things in the ignition system -- spark plugs, spark plug wire resistances (and repierce at the dist cap, if necessary), inspect the extenders for resistance/holes, inspect the dist rotor and cap. If all that seems OK,

2. Start looking at the basic parameters of the Bosch CIS K-Jet without Lambda injection system to see if anything is now out-of-spec -- cold WUR control pressure, warm WUR control pressure, regulated supply pressure.

After that, it gets harder ;).

waymar likes this.
  6. nicolasaubry

nicolasaubry Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Aubry
    Ok I will try all of that. Thanks for the info Steve, it is much appreciated!! I forgot to include that it just came out of a belt service as well so I hope it is not a timing issue :( but it is normal at higher revs which leads me to believe it is not, unless I’m totally wrong.

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Assuming your problem is on the k-jet, you should first determine whether idle is bad within the first 10 minutes, or rough regardless of cold/hot.

Cold idle is managed as follows:
    1) there is an idle air valve that increases the airflow for 10minutes or so. This one is easy to check : apply 12v, after 10 minutes the valve must be closed.
    2) there is a warmup regulator that increases the fuel flow. This one is more complex to check: you do have to install a test gauge between the fuel distributor and the warmup regulator, and check how the regulator adjusts pressure over a 5 minutes period. The control pressure should progressively raise until it reaches 3.4~3.8 bar.

If the car does not idle properly when hot regardless of the position of the CO set-screw (it's on the fuel distributor, clockwise = richer), then it's time to read the k-jet book.

You should perform these tests with regular spark plugs, as thin tips plugs (iridium, platinium) do not like to be wet so they are a real pain when you want to adjust a stubborn engine...

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If it just came out of a belt service, why don't you let the mechanic have a shot at it.

9. nicolasaubry

nicolasaubry Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Aubry
    Thats exactly what I am going to do. I wanted to see if I can try to fix it myself but obviously it is way over my head. Thanks for everyone's feedback, comments and suggestions!