The Biltmore for Thanksgiving - (Asheville, SC) | FerrariChat

The Biltmore for Thanksgiving - (Asheville, SC)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by VAF84, Sep 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I haven't been to Asheville, but I am considering taking the family to stay at the Biltmore for Thanksgiving. I had a few questions:
    • Is three nights enough for a family of four, with a two year old and a four year old; or is there a lot more to do for small children? I thought of staying a day or two longer, but assume the city is geared more towards adult interests.
    • Has anyone tried the Thanksgiving meal that the Biltmore offers?
    • Should I take advantage that I'm here and spend some time in Asheville proper?
      • Is it better to stay in Asheville?
    • Is the weather worth bringing my F430 with me for a spin in the mountains, or is it too wet/cold/snowing during that timeframe?
    @SCantera - Steve, I'm copying you on this since I know you live in the area.

2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The Biltmore is a beautiful estate. There are two hotels on the property..the Village Hotel and the Inn. The Inn is a mid-rise and while it has two restaurants in my opinion it's a bit sterile. The Village Hotel is a bit more low key and classic. And there are restaurant choices a short walk away.

I understand there are also cottages available at the Biltmore that might be better suited for a family of four. But I can't say I have ever stayed in one nor know anything about them.

I actually like the Grove Park Inn as a more classic hotel more than the Biltmore. But you have young children that you can entertain in different ways at the Biltmore. It's very much family oriented. I think the Biltmore House will be decorated for Christmas by that weekend. It's beautiful to tour. And I think they light evergreen trees on the grounds. There are carriage rides on the property and other activities your children might like. You might have to research this. Here is a link to kid things at the Biltmore:

https://www.biltmore.com/things-to-do/activities/kid-friendly/

As far as weather for Ferrari driving....hit or miss. It probably won't be cold enough for snow but it can be wet and rainy. How about when you confirm your dates if my girl and I are not traveling we can drive a couple of my cars instead? If the weather cooperates of course. Leave your 430 at home. 6 Ferraris and 2 Alfas to choose from in my garage.

We are about 35 minutes W of Asheville. I invite you and your family to pay us a visit out here at Living Falls. Our doors are open. House and garage.

3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for the tips and the gracious invite! Regarding the hotel, unfortunately, everything appears booked except for the Inn, but with the kids and the fairly short time frame I’m sure we’ll be fine. I hadn’t even considered that things may be decorated for Christmas, I’m sure my wife and kids will be thrilled if that’s the case. I wasn’t sure what to expect about the hotel at first, but the more info I’m gathering, the more excited I am about taking the family there. I’ll have decide and book soon though, rooms are filling up! I’ll let you know once/if we book.

rampante550 likes this.
  4. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    You may want to post in the NC section. Several members live out that way. The FCA Chapter has had several weekend get-aways there. I guess most people would like to see the Vanderbilt at least once. The Grove Park Inn has a lot of fans as mentioned above. Wx also unpredictable as noted. Probably 50s but it can be dreary that time of year. Foliage will be over.

VAF84 likes this.
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I didn't think to post it there, thanks for the advice! Shame we'll miss the foliage. I'm getting a few days off from my project, and it's only a 6 hour drive versus a 14 hour drive home. We thought it would be nice to visit since we're in the area, and I'm not sure when we'll be back. Debating on staying there the whole long weekend, or spending another two days or so in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    We spent last Christmas at the Biltmore and thoroughly enjoyed it. Ironically the Northeast had record warm temperatures, and it snowed Christmas Eve in Ashville. So we had a white Christmas.

We have stayed at both the Village Hotel and the Inn. We much prefer the Inn, but with two little ones you would be better off at the Hotel because it is in the middle of the action. They normally have a shuttle but it wasn't operating due to covid, that may have changed by now.

I believe it is either the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving that they do a big production of bringing in the huge Christmas tree to the mansion. That should be a real treat for the kids.

I don't know Asheville well. The only area we visited is the little village just outside the entrance to the estate. It is worth taking a walk around.

SCantera and VAF84 like this.
  7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for the feedback, at this point we're pretty sure we're going to lock in our stay at the Hotel. Oh man, I just realized our tentative checkout would be Friday. I may need to extend a day then. Glad you brought this up.

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    If you can get an extra day go for it. Plenty to do and experience at the Biltmore and the Village nearby. Not having to change hotels makes the visit less hectic.

And please if you have the time to drive out to see our place and waterfall the door is wide open. I will PM you with my contact information.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh, so I guess there really is a waterfall in Living Falls! :)

10. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Hey Steve! Sorry for the delay, I had to make a quick round trip drive to Atlanta over the last two days. I'd just booked the three days around the time of the last messages; let me see about that fourth, if so I'd love to swing by! I'm just waiting on one more thing that needs to be resolved next week to decide on the extra day. As of now though, we'll arriving Tuesday and departing Friday; the day after Thanksgiving.

@Nospinzone
    I did validate that the place would be decorated for Christmas when I called them. I'm having difficulty recalling the receptionists exact comments; but I think even if we extended an extra day, we'd miss the production of that weekend.

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I will be in Dixon KY next weekend. Going to my girl’s family reunion Friday leaving Monday. If I can find the time to sneak away I might be able to look you up for a quick visit.
    Steve

12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Sounds good, text/call me if you free up and I'll let you know what we're up to! Usually in the office until 5p Fri/Sat, free after that. We sort of make decisions on the fly for Sat/Sun as to whether to make a day trip to one of the larger nearby towns.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Nospinzone likes this.
  14. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    and by the way, Asheville / Vanderbilt is in North Carolina.

15. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    We plan on being at Biltmore the week after Christmas. Visits to Chimney Rock and waterfall there. What other waterfalls are in the area to visit?
    Reservations at Curate, Cucina 24 and Limones. We have been to these 3 and worth a return visit. Any other restaurants not to miss?
    It is a PIA to park F250 downtown Asheville...mainly plan to do some hiking and biking.
    Thanks