430 - Fabspeed Headers, Tubi Exhaust, Fabspeed O2 Spacers - getting CEL | FerrariChat

430 Fabspeed Headers, Tubi Exhaust, Fabspeed O2 Spacers - getting CEL

Discussion in '360/430' started by lowform, Sep 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #1 lowform, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    I am a few months into the ownership of my 2008 F1 F430 with 17,000 miles. The car came with Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed O2 spacers, and a Tubi Style exhaust. I have been getting the following CEL codes:

P1040 - RH Rear Lambda Sensor - no lambda sensor activity
    P1060 - LH Rear Lambda Sensor - no lambda sensor activity

If anyone has experience with this scenario, I would greatly appreciate any input on reassuring me these codes are nothing I should be too concerned with. Or, on the contrary, something I should indeed be worried about.

Assuming these are simply the byproduct of my Fabspeed headers and/or O2 spacers, what path should I go down to prevent this CEL from coming back? Is there an electrical device I can wire in place of the O2 sensors, or would it require an ECU tune?

Below is a photo of what I have going on:

-Aaron

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Have the catalytic convertors been removed?

3. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    No sir. OEM cats are still there.

4. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Oh boy, I'm still dealing with the O2 sensor stuff (I only have Fabspeed headers), but I don't think I ever got those codes. I think the only true failproof way to keep the CEL off is ECU tune, but that won't allow you to pass smog inspections. The extenders sort of worked for me, but they kept getting loose so I had a shop take them off. Only to find out, that I think there are 4 extenders, and only two were removed?

I should have done my homework, because now I have to figure out how this whole thing was set up.I actually need to get with the Fabspeed rep because I've got some question about this stuff, but keep getting sidetracked.

lowform likes this.
  5. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Basically the ECM is trying to communicate with the aft O2 sensors (downstream of the catalytic convertors) and having no joy. I am a bit concerned as to why your car has O2 extenders on it in the first place. Fabspeed headers and a Tubi exhaust should not be throwing those codes or requiring O2 extenders if the OEM catalytic convertors are in place and working. There has to be more to the story.

RobinMasters and lowform like this.
  6. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    My LH rear kept coming lose as well! I assumed that was the route of my CEL issues, but the light came back today with both rear sensors and spacers secured tightly.

7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0134
    Found this online.

Might be time to replace the O2 sensors? I purchased some the other day, they weren't to expensive. I plan to get them installed next time I take the car to the shop, or may do it myself if I find a better place to work on my car. If your the DIY type, install isn't too hard. For me it's a time/workspace issue.

8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I would reset the codes and see if you get another 6 month run cycle before codes are thrown. I believe many f car owners w after market headers cats that run the bandaids ext o2 sensors just deal w this reset code cycle….

the other option is to tune it out. I’ve read the sensitivity of the secondary o2 sensor code range is widened to deal w catless.

9. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    I would just drive it. Probably just go away.

10. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
  11. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I bought some stainless mini cats on EBay. I think they cost about $30. You have to make sure that there is a small grey cylindrical honeycomb unit inside the extenders.

I have exactly the same setup you have on my 07 430. Aftermarket headers that have no pre-cats, header blankets, original main cats and Ferrari sport exhaust. I have not had a CEL since I installed the mini cat extenders two years ago. I used straight ones and everything fits fine.

When I replaced the OEM headers with aftermarket headers that have no pre-cats, I got CE light and cat codes. I tried simple rear O2 sensor extenders. This worked for a while but then failed after about 1/2 hour of driving. When I installed the extenders with mini cats, the problem went away permanently.

Make sure that the cables are not twisted and that they are routed smartly away from hot items. Twisted cable could cause them to work loose. Mine have stayed tight. I used the workshop manual torque to tighten the O2 sensors and mini cats.

You need to look at the O2 signals. I use a Foxwell 530 scanner that I bought directly from Foxwell with the Ferrari software installed for about $150. You need to watch the signals from the rear O2 sensors to see that they are changing when the engine is started etc... Otherwise, you need to check connections etc... You might also have a clog in the extenders.

Qavion likes this.
  12. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    As said earlier, more to this story. When I installed headers without pre cats I got the CEL. The codes were for cat inefficiency. 0420/0430. (from memory) What you have is something different. No activity suggests the sensors are not seeing your cats at all. Are they plugged in? The connectors are a little tricky. Or they may have been installed without unplugging them, twisting the wires up = bad. Just some thoughts.

13. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    This is not the case with the later cars 2007 and up. They have more sensitive software.

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Big Daddy O2 sensors. Solved my problem with Fabspeed headers.

Ray