Would you buy a 101k mile F430 with no records for $70k | FerrariChat

Would you buy a 101k mile F430 with no records for $70k

Discussion in '360/430' started by vrawlani, Sep 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
    Hi all, I'm new to Ferrari chat so I appreciate the help.

I'm looking at a 2007 F430 that has 101k miles! It seems like the price will be $65-70k. The car has no records but runs. The e-diff light is on (tires/wheels seem fine) and the batter drains. I'm trying to line up an inspection, but does anyone think it's worth it even if it checks out? What if it does not? I'm ok putting $20k into it right away but I'm not sure if it will pay off if the 430 continues to depreciate.

Thanks!
    Vinay

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Will you being the work or having a dealer/ indy do it

Is it a f1 ?

Either way get a a good PPI and decide from there - someone at least pulling codes

20k comes quick on a f1 car when being fixed by a shop

3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    If you have the PPI done by a REPUTABLE place who knows these cars, AND everything looks good, then I'd say yes, but offer a bit less, like 60k. Then daily drive the heck out of it, because it will NEVER be collectible.

4. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I would NOT buy it. 100,000 miles on the frame, suspension and other parts does make them wear out and it could get costly. Spend the extra $20,000 and get a better car. The cheapest car you buy is the most expensive.

Jackson32, CherishedCC, PBT58 and 2 others like this.
  5. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani

Yeah, it's an F1. I would have the dealer work on it. The car is 4 hours from the closest dealer, so I'm getting an independent to to the PPI, but they can pull they codes. But at 100K miles I feel that any thing could go wrong at any time and that dealer bill will hit $20k pretty easy I feel. Thanks for the insight!

6. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
    The one thing I will do is drive the heck out of it because theres nothing to loose!

Jackson32 and brogenville like this.
  7. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    That is 100% absolutely not true, even when it comes to Ferraris.

legendd likes this.
  8. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
    Kk. I really just needed one person to say not to buy it. Man, kinda sad now. I was going to drive it 24/7.

9. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I would do that for sure. Do the basics and check it out. Not all high mileage cars are bad. You can could have the high dollar BAT car and still give you problems. Its clear that this car still works and drives. So yes it would be a go for me.

the_dan, Zed82, patina and 1 other person like this.
  10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

agree with this. Get it checked out and if the stuff that needs sorting isn’t too bad, and price is is commensurate with mileage and needs, then nothing to lose! After all, it’s not like a lemon or abused Ferrari is going to make it to 100k miles and still run well!

the_dan and clean512 like this.
  11. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
  12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It depends.
    How do you measure worth and cost ?

To y’all who can simply pull the engine or wrench it yourself there is value in high mileage cars priced well. To those of us who drive our cars, things like a grey market origin or maybe salvage title give us the experience for less.

To those who can restore a scud in their garage and take chances on a value as well as the likes of ratarossa the rules and value are different.

To guys like me who send it to the dealer ( because I cannot do the maintenance )and those that want to lose as little cash as possible, the high mileage deferred maintenance cars are not practical and wind up with higher total cost at the end of ownership.

Even if you replace the whole car in this case, piece by piece, when you’re done you will have a high mileage Ferrari worth less than an equivalent low mile car in general.

I would say to those who think they should drive the heck out a high mileage 430, you should drive the heck out of all Ferraris. Period full stop.

Personally if the OP can do the work and if he can buy this car right, go go go. For me the price is 55-60k according to the formula but only if the OP can do the work himself.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    very hard to say what high milage means without doing an inspection. If you daily drive your car on the highways for a few years you can put 100k miles on it easily without wearing out (even F1 gearbox) components. I drove my Maserati 4200 F1 (same gearbox) for a few years 100 miles daily. Even after about 100k miles I have still 65% wear left.
    Driving around the boulevards, race tracks, 1/4 miles etc is putting much more wear. But even then, a well maintained car can last for a very long time. I have seen 360s and 430s with well over 150k miles and still doing good.

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Everything has it's price point. But with that said, I have bought a fair amount of cars in my lifetime of all marques and I never have seen a car that was a "fixer upper" that was worth the money I would have paid for it when the dust settles. Especially considering that the costs of repairs and parts have gone up in a lot of instances 50% or more-- and yes I do most of the work on my cars myself.

The late Bruce Anderson of Porsche Club fame always said "buy the best car you can afford"going in. And I have found that to be a very good piece of advice. You can get lucky. You can score a great deal and encounter very few problems but in reality, that's a big gamble that is most times wishful thinking. I really shy away from the cheapest car on the market. Most times the joy of ownership is sapped right out of it in short order.

A stellar PPI says the car is in good condition--- now. But a 100K mile Ferrari can surprise you the day after the PPI with a multi-thousand dollar repair. And from what you describe the car already has some issues that will need to be addressed. My opinion; move on and look for a nicer car for the apparent 90K you feel like you will spend on this car.

In any event, best of luck.

PBT58 and EastMemphis like this.
  15. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
    I own a 85k mile 360 and a 17k mile f430 and I can tell you that the 360 is running better and had perfect service then the 10k versions some people have in there garages . Those are the Ferrari that will cost a arm and a leg in a few years due to rubbers drying out and all the other gremlins that come up will sitting. Just buy the car to drive . You won’t lose money on that price and complete ******** that it will cost more then a much lower mile car. Just have it checked at a dealer to see where the clutch is and what had been done to the car even if there is no paperwork you still can see parts that are replaced or needs replacement. Those engines on a 430 are Verry good and I have seen a 344k km last year that was a rental and is still running like a wild horse

the_dan likes this.
  16. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I wouldn't buy if if your plan is to instruct your dealer perform any remedial and/or ongoing works. As a DIY car however it would be good.

brogenville and timjen88 like this.
  17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you're going to keep it forever and the PPI checks out I'd consider it.. maybe..

... but if you EVER have to sell it, you will loose every dime you put into it.

I wouldn't personally with a better car being had for what you put into it. Right now the market is SOOO inflated. For a DD I might HAVE to pay a premium if my DD crunks. But for a weekend fun toy I would just wait till the market cools a tad in the next year or so. TBH that 100k car is probably worth in the 60's as an F1. While many of the 360's out there in F1 are probably worth in the 60-70's. EVERYthing is overpriced right now.

18. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    344k km = 215k miles, so are you referring to this car in the video below, which was at 157k miles 3 years ago? Interesting to learn if that's the updated mileage and it's still going strong.

19. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
    Ah yes that could be the one but it was driving in the netherlands/service point or was for sale @ one point I think it was now 344K Km first engine no rebuild still going strong. We also have a Guy with a 368k km Maserati QP5 . No issues and still running like new

20. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Like others said, if it is in good condition and looks good, and drives well, I would take the chance for up to 60k. I am a DYI guy, so I 'd do it.

21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'd buy it...for 50 grand or less.

22. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Ever seen an F430 for that amount?

DOWORKFCAR and Mario Andretti like this.
  23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    No. I’ve never seen a beat up, Ill maintained 100k mile F430 either.

24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  25. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    It already has an apparent issue with the e-diff. Those lights don't come on for fun. The fact the guys just driving it around or letting it sit with the known problem does not bode well.

I am pretty sure I know the car. It is the Pozzi Blue one in Bakersfield area thats been passed around. Good luck.