Battery size 330 GTC | FerrariChat

Battery size 330 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fasthound, Sep 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I used search with several different search phrases, but was unable to find an answer. Maybe I missed it, but I sure didn’t see it anywhere. So, here’s my question.

What is the correct size battery for the 330 GTC? Not looking for “vintage correct”, simply looking to replace with a high quality new battery.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Probably a group 24 or 27 and if latter, it could also be 27F (pos./neg. post locations reversed).
    Your battery tray length and width, along with available space for height and intended cable end locations would be good indicators.

375+ likes this.
  3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo is correct, it is a Group 24 or 27 (I can't recall since is has been over 40 years since we owned our car). The battery posts go to the rear, so that will determine if you need a 24F or a 27F. Measure the tray and then determine if you need a "F" or not.

4. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks guys!

5. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    See photo. Interstate battery for my 365 GTC supplied by Competizione. I'm guessing the battery tray is the same size as the one in the 330 GTC.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    And that's where the car will be in a few weeks. Thanks for the photo!

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    A 34R is the same height and width as a 24, but lower. We use lot of them instead of the Group 24 to make more room in the battery area. However a Group 34 battery was not around when these cars were built.

TTR likes this.
  8. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    The last battery I put in my 330GTC was a 27F-85. Fits perfectly.

dRoger45 likes this.
  9. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Dyke, if the 34R is a lower 24, is there a lower 27 group too? In the Daytona the 27F height makes it a very tight fit against the hood latch. Jim

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Jim: I am not aware of a "low" height version of a Group 27. A Daytona uses a 27F, and there is a Group 48/91 battery that appears to be the same as a 27F, except it is 1.3 in lower. I do not have a photo of a Group 48/91, so it may have other different characteristics. I am pretty sure the Group 48/91 is not a common battery, so finding one may be difficult. Also, my battery charts give conflicting size info on this battery.

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Excuse me Dyke, but perhaps you meant “…. same length and width… “ ?

Also worth keeping in mind that while various battery groups (other than 24/24F or 27/27F) may have same or similar dimensions, reasons for their group numbers may be due to different locations (on the side, etc) or types (screw or stud, etc) of cable attachments.

12. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo: Thank you, I always need an editor. Yes, the various Group numbers, in addition to physical size, designate voltage, post position and style as well as other properties of the batteries.

TTR likes this.
  13. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
  14. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My tray is sized for a Group 27, but the cables are set up for battery terminals at the front of the battery with negative closet to engine. I know that’s not standard, but I’m not going to change out the battery cables since I am not showing the car anywhere for points. So I can fit Group 27, 34 or 48 with this tray. My current battery is group 27. Labeling is gone, but I’m guessing it’s a Duralast brand. Made in Mexico. I may go with a group 34 (not the “R” due to my preferred terminal placement) just to get more elbow room in the engine bay. Also going to put a heat shield in the bottom of the tray.

PS - fuse cover is off to replace a blown fuse.

15. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    The trays originally had a bottom plate with asbestos on the underside (heat shield).

375+, christc and JimEakin like this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    With your indulgence .....if I could possibly temporarily go slightly off topic rather than starting a new thread....A few years ago I bought an unbranded battery for my 330GTC and then sourced a Marelli sticker from Parker. Now I can’t remember where or how I got the battery.:rolleyes: Can anybody give me some guidance on getting a good battery without branding all over it?

Thanks,

Jack.

17. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes….I’ve ordered the heat shield from Tom at https://www.classicperformancerestoration.com/ He is going to cut one to size to fit my existing tray. I’ve purchased from him before and have been pleased with the products he offers up. I bought a window crank and visor end caps from him…nice quality products.

JimEakin likes this.
  18. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Why, just go to your file where you keep every every single receipt for the car! There, you will find the receipt for the battery you purchased. :)

In all seriousness, Eastern Penn makes batteries for many brands - including NAPA. The (AGM ) battery I recently bought for my 550 was minimally labeled with vinyl decals that could easily be removed. Similarly, Johnson Controls makes batteries for many brands. You can pick one of theirs up at WalMart and those may have easily removable labels as well. I bought one of their AGMs for the DB9. Fits and works just as it should - as good a battery as you can buy anywhere! Interestingly enough, Johnson also makes many (or all) of the Interstate batteries!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks!

20. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Another small addition to my earlier comments.
    Having recently needed to replace couple of Group 27F batteries (on Daytonas), I noticed their physical size (specifically width) had become slightly (1/8"-1/4" ?) smaller than identical brand/model units they replaced, making the fit of the OEM hold-down bracket little less than ideal, requiring it to be carefully centered and some "filler" material added to prevent the bracket to slip off to one side or the other.

22. dRoger45

dRoger45 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    My uncle go this new 330GTC project and it may need a new battery. Got to finish installing the bumper and amp research board on the truck before we can clear the garage and take her in.