Auction - 2005 Ford Excursion 4X4 Power Stroke, Bullet-Proofed | FerrariChat

Auction 2005 Ford Excursion 4X4 Power Stroke, Bullet-Proofed

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by J-P, Sep 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ha! I read your “fully bullet-proofed” and thought it meant it was armored! o_O

Nice truck, these things are beasts. GLWA

Ruben

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  3. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I had a 2004 Excursion 6.0 turbo diesel. It was an upgrade from a 2000 V10 Exc. The 04 had 3 turbos replaced over my ownership (2 under factory), stranded me out of no where twice. It had about 130k miles on it. I put a ton of money fixing it. Intake manifold was a problem for these model.. I guessed I got a lemon. I was happy when I traded it in for a SRT jeep the dealer gave me 10k for it. Later I learned there was a class action suit against Ford and owners got paid good for it. Oh well. Now I own a 2018 Ram 2500 Long Horn Cummins Diesel and that baby can tow. Please don't get mad. It's my opinion as a 2 times Excursion owner.

4. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    No offense taken. Sounds like you had a lemon. I’ve had mine for 10 years, and the only thing I’ve had to do to it other than routine service items was replace the alternator about 5 years ago. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.

Also sounds like you didn’t do your research and bought one without knowing the quirks that were clearly identified by the 2004 model. Yes, the engines had a flaw in the manufacturing process that caused a lot of the problems you mentioned. It centered on not cleaning the engine block properly after the sand casting process, which clogged up various cooling passages.

Perhaps before coming on here and bad mouthing the trucks, you should educate yourself on the cause of the issues and the remedies, i.e., the bullet-proofing process. The nice trucks around these days have pretty much all had it done.

There is nothing on the planet that can compare to the power and capability of these trucks once bullet-proofed. They are extremely powerful, reliable, will out tow just about anything, and will transport an entire family - and their friends and gear - in comfort, with a nearly 800 mile range - while towing heavy, on or off road. Try doing that in your Ram.

Several Ferraris and other cars have model-specific quirks that are identified and fixes are developed that turn them into great cars. It can be exhaust manifolds that crack on Ferraris, or the RMS/IMS issues that plagued Porsches for several model years, whatever.

But, hey, thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to provide your constructive input?

Racedrvr and TroyNVie like this.
  5. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    schumacherf2006 likes this.
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I "have a guy" here in Houston that has the Kevlar fabric, and in fact COULD make the steel doors "bullet proof".....LMK!

Glass of course would be to be upgraded as well.....
    GLWS!

Il Tifoso likes this.
  7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    a stock 6.0 is the very definition of lemon

the bulletproofing a big ++++++ should bring some good money

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  8. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    #8 J-P, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    It’s very well known about the sand casting issues, which is what created the problems. Ford started addressing it later in 2004 production, but since we live in a capitalist country (thank goodness), the after-market is great at coming up with excellent solutions.

Bullet-proofing addresses all of that, and once that has been done, it is a far better engine than the 7.3 it replaced. It is quieter, gets better fuel economy, and has far more torque and power than the 7.3, all the while being just as reliable.

Racedrvr and 19633500GT like this.
  9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Can I inquire what a full bullet-proofing costs? Ive been offered an 06 F250 with the 6.0 and it’s tempting.

LOVE your Ex btw.

10. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Cannot believe the money that vehicle brought !!

daviday likes this.
  11. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    4 -6000 bucks . It's the only way to go otherwise they are junk . I work at a Ford dealership and we really couldn't do them there when that engine was popular due to emissions and that's really not what we do. The 7.3 was the one to get . 6.4 holding up well but when they have problems you better have your checkbook open.