Intermittent dead electrical system 1991 Mondial T Coupe | FerrariChat

Intermittent dead electrical system 1991 Mondial T Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 19ken96, Sep 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19ken96

19ken96 Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Aguilar
    Good evening everyone,
    I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek the wise counsel of fellow Mondial T owners. My car is a 1991 T Coupe. It had a full engine out service August 2020. As with any old car it seems we take one step forward and 2 steps back.
    I drove it home to Texas from Monterey during Car Week. The car drove well, except for the fuel gauge that has never displayed properly despite numerous attempt by my local shop to fix it. All accessories work and the A/C blows ice cold. The interesting part is that towards the end of the trip when stopping for fuel, the car would start but the A/C system would not blow at all. No cold or warm air. At first it seemed turning the key on and off would help get it to come back on. Later in the trip the A/C would quit while the car was cruising.

I took it to the shop that has done all the work and all accessories worked as they should again. but I noticed a slight clicking sound, like when a batter is almost dead, but the car started and ran strong. I drove it about a half mile up the road to fuel up and when I went to restart it was completely dead. No interior lights or dash lights, nothing. I turned the key on an off a few times and it restarted and drove strong for the 90 minute drive home. I parked it for a couple of hours and went to restart and got the slight clicking again but this time it went dead. No electrical power at all. I turned the key on and off about 5-7 times and then everything lit up again and it cranked strong and started. It ran fine for the 30 minute drive home.

My question is after everything has been looked at, tested and checked and I was assured everything is working correctly by the shop, now they are saying it may need a fusebox. A fusebox is not an insignificant expense, but at this point I have paid for repairs only for something else act up. Am I expecting too much for this car to be reliable after multiple repair bills? I would like to be able to enjoy the drive and know that it will restart reliably. I am ok with replacing the fusebox, but will be extremely frustrated if I have them install one and I continue to have issues.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    OMG, almost exact experience i just had a few weeks ago. Stops dead, no gauges, then restarts and runs without a problem for a few miles, then repeat....dead stop, etc etc.
    Prior to that, no AC -- possibly the harbinger.

Pull the connectors on the fuse panel and i bet you find a browned burned terminal.
    See my post earlier this month, with pix of the burned melted terminal.
    I ordered a new improved fuse panel from Guido (under Red Bay Cars) on this forum. Waiting for it to arrive.
    Costs about $990 shipped (750euros + shipping), but GTCP costs $1200+ and you have to send in your old one, and Scuderia (?i think that's who) is $1800+.
    Guido does the actual work making the boards and also owns a Mondi.

Let us know what you find.

3. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    BTW, like your experience, we were just finishing up a drive from Portland OR, down the west coast and across to Houston (about 2400 miles). Happened just outside Ft Worth TX.

4. 19ken96

19ken96 Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Aguilar
    Thanks Stasha,

I was told by the shop they checked all connections. They tell me the laminated design of the fusebox can cause difficult to diagnose issues. The service invoice states found wire at fuse panel making poor contact. As, I mentioned to the shop, I keep paying invoices, yet the car doesn't run right even just a few minutes after I pick it up. Your experience makes me a little more confident that the fusebox should be replaced. As I stated, I do not mind the expense of replacing the fusebox, but at this point I will be very agitated if I pay another $1000-$1500 repair bill and the car still does not drive as it should. I knew life with an older Ferrari would be expensive but my patience is running thin, throwing good money after bad.

5. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    19ken96 likes this.
  6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Mine starts every time, runs reliably, for the last 135'000 mls... I fitted Guido's excellent electric board years ago. It's a lot of work to fit but fantastic quality. The GT Car Parts board is plug and play and seems of very high quality as well. Ferraris don't just quit by design - there is obviously a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed.

paulchua likes this.
  7. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Well, there's a ray of hope. Have about 95K miles to go -- OR, should I expect after this fuse panel/electrical fix, I can start the clock for 135K miles of carefree driving? :)

19ken96 likes this.
  8. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
  9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Of course! Well... It depends on the state of the rest of your car. What I found by far the 3 most serious issues of unreliability are 1) deferred maintenance 2) "improvements/upgrades" 3) bad repairs. This is closely followed by cars not being driven/sitting too long.
    All I can say that mine is reliable enough to be a daily driver, even in the challenging climate here in HK. So I don't see why anyone else's couldn't be.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    PS: Usually 300mls on a tank before the light comes on.

Peter and moysiuan like this.
  10. 19ken96

19ken96 Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Aguilar
    Haha I hear ya Stasha, but every time I've about had it, I go out to the garage and take a look at it, and quickly put the thought of selling it out of my mind. It has been death by $1000 cuts to my wallet, but when it's running great, I can't imagine parting with it. Maybe I should go back to a reliable Porsche haha.

11. 19ken96

19ken96 Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Aguilar
    Thanks for the link to btw. Thankfully my car doesn't seem to have a severe an issue as yours. It will make a "click" like when a battery is dead but cranks and fires. Once running the engine runs strong and all accessories work. The only time the issue appears is once I have shut off the engine. When I go to restart, no matter if immediately or an hour or so later, the car is completely dead with no electrical power to the interior lights, dash lights, etc. If I turn the key there is absolutely nothing. If I turn the key on and off a few times, the electrical system comes back to life and the car will crank and fire and runs strong until the next time I shut off the engine. It doesn't always have an issue with having no electrical power, just every now and then.

12. 19ken96

19ken96 Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Aguilar
    Thanks for your comment. What specifically makes the board made by Guido so much work to fit? There is a significant cost difference between the part made by Guido, and the GT Car Parts and Scuderia Rampante versions, but at this point I think I would stretch to purchase the fusebox that is more easily fitted and available locally in the USA.

Please let me know more of your thoughts about the parts in question. I'm jealous! I want my car to be like yours and make it start and run reliably for many miles and years to come.

13. 19ken96

19ken96 Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Aguilar
    You are definitely on to something with your statements above. My car is a 1991 that had only 12,000 kms when I purchased it last year. I really did not want an ultra low mile car, because as you stated cars not being driven/sitting too long seem to have the most problems. It was in excellent condition and unmolested as far as "improvements/upgrades" and bad repairs. The shop doing the work is well versed in working on these cars so that's why it has been a bit frustrating. As soon, as I received the car, it went straight to the shop for a full engine out service. As I drove it, other issues and strange noises would manifest themselves and we would address them as well. It has been a bit of a sorting out process, as it is with any older car like mine. I just keep hoping that I am finally near the end of these annoying little issues that detract from the driving experience. It now has 23,000 kms and it keeps getting better, but I also would like to see it drive without issues for at least a few months. I love driving my cars, so that is why all this has been extra frustrating.

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The difference of Guido's solution compared to the alternatives is in its basic construction - he is hard-wiring everything with copper wire, and using substantially larger connector pins. So his basic board and connectors are rock-solid.
    But it means you have to cut and re-crimp every wire and increase the size of the slots in the plastic connectors so you can fit everything back together.
    The other products replace the original board with what I believe is a much higher quality but otherwise similar PCB solution keeping the original pin size - so plug and play.

gsfent likes this.
  15. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    When your car doesn't start are the door lights working? If so, could it be an issue with the ignition key unit?

16. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    The $1100-1200 I spent on the GT fuse box was the best money I have spent on my car. So many issues just ceased to exist after replacement.

Peter, gsfent and afterburner like this.
  17. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Hate to say this, but your car might be on its way to more permanent failure. Our car exhibited small seemingly unrelated and intermittent problems: 1) AC compressor stopped clicking on; 2) gauges would intermittently pop down to zero for a microsecond while driving, then come back up without the engine missing a beat.
    I do not know what you could check, but i'd start with the pulling the side connectors and checking for melted wires -- just in case. Otherwise, I guess you might as well just drive it until something happens, huh.

18. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Curious about this! While many electrical things failed on the car when the engine and gauges quit, BUT THE HEADLIGHTS STAYED ON, AS DID THE DOOR LIGHTS WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR!
    Can you elaborate on the ignition key problem? Maybe I should preventively address the IGN switch while the car is down?

I hate where this is going! It's truly a rabbit hole that may be unending.
    The greatest fear is that this car will be ANOTHER SIDELINED PROJECT that never gets completed, and ends up getting dumped after a couple years of sitting! No kidding. In fact, I have been the beneficiary of other people's similar sidelined projects, where they just gave up on fixing a car that ended up sitting for a few years, awaiting the time and energy to finish the last 100yards of repairs.

19. 19ken96

19ken96 Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Aguilar
    When it won't start, everything is completely dead, no dash lights, interior lights, nothing. The shop tells me they tested the switch and it is working properly, as they started it to move it every morning multiple days after testing, and the car started without issues.

20. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Some circuits like door locks, interior/courtesy/hazard/headlights/radio memory/horn etc are permanently under power.
    All other circuits only get connected to the battery when you rotate the ignition key to the running position - dash lights/instruments/ignition/all engine systems etc only come on at that point.

So if your car won't start but the permanent circuits are all functional - it could be an electrical/mechanical issue with the ignition key unit itself preventing those circuits from powering up.

Don't give up. Find the problem and fix it. I would look at the ignition problem for sure.
    I noticed on mine that when you try to fold the folding key part it interferes with the knee protection on the column shroud and it will cut the ignition because it rotates back a touch - mind you, it's RHD QV, not a LHD t. Just saying.

21. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Did you check the battery kill switch and make sure it’s fully turned open?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    So the car has no power - the clock will reset to 00:00?

First thing I would do is bypass the battery cut-off switch on the negative side of the battery. A disconnected battery ground would certainly shut it all down efficiently.

A loose positive side wouldn't help either. Just check. There are 2 fat wires running from the positive terminal across the front bulkhead to the fusebox. Check their connection on the battery and on the fusebox left upper side.

And yeah - a new fusebox won't hurt your long-term expectations of reliability! It's worth the money which ever you buy.

Looking at the diagrams - at the moment, I can' see how there could be any rational connection to the non-starting issue - other than through a burned out PCB or connector with the HVAC main supply being affected by coincidence.

I'd look at the AC issue separately; the entire system is powered by 1 wire coming via a relay and fuse from the fusebox.

19ken96 likes this.
  23. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Welcome to the club ! We...all mondial owners did have those troubles in the past years. I did to. First thing I did was making a new fuseboard. Then connecting all massa points in the car to 1 big wire of 4 mm2 and that connected directly to the negative of the battery.
    So once in a while the car would not start...renewed the starter, starter solenoid, by passed the starter relais with a bosch relais and start push switch.
    And still the car did have his tricks...not always starting. The last thing that resolved my problem was changing a coil. Apparently there was current escaping and there was not enough over to start the car.
    I would start with a new fuseboard. Then a NEW cut-off switch on battery. After this you have to find out other errors of bad contacts, one after one other.
    Good luck and dont give up. Those are great cars but its a full time job to keep them on the road.
    Guido

Peter and stasha like this.
  24. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    ... mine handles quite ok....

25. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I also put in Guido's fuse box about a year ago.

I had the SR upgrade for a few years, which is a clever design. It separates the fuse box into two separate fuse boxes; regular and auxiliary. It spreads the load over more circuits. As good as it is (and Dave is as knowledgeable as anyone in taking care of these cars), the fact you are starting with an old fuse box design is the weak link. Guido's fusebox does take some time to rewire and once you start you are committed!! But it has taken care of the electrical gremlins that are the hallmark of our cars.

I would also suspect the ignition key switch. Get the Bosch WR1 relay kit (from memory) which takes the load off of the wiring for the starter motor. Here are the instructions: 106122 Bosch WR1 Low Voltage Relay Kit Installation Instructions (mamotorworksmedia.com)

Last time I checked it was on the order of $30. Very cheap investment. I hid the relay and fuse on the back panel where the Motronic computers are.

Regards,
    Jerry

Peter, paulchua and 19ken96 like this.