Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 102 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. #2526 lorenzobandini, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Okay.....since the '60s thru now, having dabbled in F1 and, having had his men prep the fastest 512M (another reason he deserves mention on Fchat), an excellent organizer, was and is, one Rogere Searle Penske.
    I shall digress.....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpalmito and Nuvolari like this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Maybe it is because the simulator cannot create the feel of the real car.

ricksb and lorenzobandini like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Maybe but it sure helps: proof when he was 25+pst behind in the championship he decided to use it and mount a comeback…certainly other race incidents of course but it does help with new tracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    All up for debate.

Senna1994, ricksb and lorenzobandini like this.
  5. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    512 M #1040. We had that car back in circa-1996. A movie script could be written about that experience (i.e. including when it was seized from the man we sold it to, by Interpol during the 1997 Ferrari 50 Anni in Maranello, and the subsequent U.S. court case for Quiet Title . . . ).

Its connection to modern F1 is that it's been owned in recent years by one Lawrence Stroll.

jpalmito, ricksb, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

I worked (1980-1983) for the company that sold/supported the "computer" for the F15 flight simulator at Wright Patterson AFB. In order to give the pilots a proper feel of the aircraft, the cockpit was mounted on a 30-40 foot (it's been too long) boom and could rotate 270º in 2 axis and 360º in the other, and whirl around from the base of the boom. The boom was powered by several hundred HP of hydraulics and could simulate 1.5 Gs continuously. The contraption was housed in a room the size of a High School basketball stadium.

This was the era before digital graphics, so there was a 40'×15' "map" of the flyable area and every time the pilot crashed the plane a divot was put in the paper mache "map" as the camera impacted the map (a fairly mountainous terrain.)

-----------

I doubt that the F1 simulators can simulate any kind of realistic G forces on the driver.

Natkingcolebasket69 and ebobh15 like this.
  7. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I've done a little time in an old F-105 simulator (just fly fast and hang on, they could make it bumpy and twisty, but not much else), and more recently in an F/A-18 sim that was linked to six others to allow for both formation flying and air-to-air engagements. Relating it back to an F-1 sim, it wasn't so much the G forces (which my mind was "experiencing" as landscape changed in response to my flight attitude), but the perception of time compressing as events sped up. I've done work in the neural limits to threshold stress (e.g., how the mind can catch up or drop away with enough stimulation, which is why I got into the simulator), and the experience was humbling.

I was rusty, but doing OK; my ACM, though, was pretty much keeping my canopy on my adversary's until they altered course. Once I got cocky, I was shot down when I forgot the other guy also wants to get home (damned wingman, how dare he come up directly behind me). The greatest benefit of sims to me is the ability to explore the edge without facing the physical consequences, something I'd think F-1 drivers would also want without a 51G outcome.

lagunacc, Bas and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes, RD was a really good teamboss. His downfall really was making Max Mosley his enemy. Costly exercise.

FW was a great teamboss for that era...He never evolved past the 80s really. 90s still successful but started to fall apart. He failed to put value on his true assets, sure, some are replaceable...until you create the stink around your team that goes with it! He also didn't pay much.

jpalmito and lagunacc like this.
  9. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Yes, but Alonso will continue to be judged by potential, not confined to accomplishments, That's powerful.

Dubious maneuvers notwithstanding.

Senna1994 likes this.
  10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree,
    I would have loved to see a pairing Alonso-Schumacher in Ferrari (2003-2006).
    One of my biggest regrets in Formula one as a spectator.

stavura, Jeronimo GTO, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

12. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've seen that "map". Was a co-op in the Structures Test Facility (Bldg 65) @ WPAFB same time frame (80-83)

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Could we have run into each other ? I was on WBAFB about 6 times; mostly late 1980 and through 1981.

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Likely not. The one, and only, time I saw the "map" was in spring 1980. I was being shown around the various labs as part of the co-op interview process. I recall at the time it was being used for F-111 low level interdiction training. Lots of cool cold war stuff going on at that time.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    (Digressing, sorry...)

I miss the Cold War, sometimes...I was born and raised on the French-German border; during the "end seventies / early eighties", for an aviation buff, as soon as the weather was fair to nice, you just put a blanket on the grass in the garden and waited, Coca-Cola in hand.
    The RCAF was at Bad-Solingen, USAF at Bitburg, Zweibrücken and Ramstein, not to mention the Brits up North and of course the French...
    you didn't have to wait for long; a jet every five minutes or so, and most of them at full speed and almost zero feet.
    I've seen so many F-104s and CF-104s, and F-4 Phantoms close, or sometimes very, very close (memories of what I think was a Canadian CF-104 flown at the height of the power cables for the train lines when I was waiting in a light truck for the train to come...)...and NO: no F-104 or CF-104 crashed in the garden.
    Nowadays, same place? One jet every month, if you are lucky...and very, very high.

Rgds

16. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal

goodfiend, ktu and Terra like this.
  17. #2543 lorenzobandini, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    gh0st0 likes this.
  18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's got to be ********. No one is that stupid. Don't drive the car to wherever it lives because emissions? Because the very heavy diesel powered truck employed to drive out where to pick it up, bring it to where it lives, the driver of said truck to get to work and back....is somehow more efficient than a lightweight car driving around?

19. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    That article is a very old recycled news story.

It's not an emissions thing. I think he was trying to keep the mileage low on his LaF Coupe and LaF Aperta. I think he's only driven his McLaren F1 road car a handful of times in Southern California.

paulchua, Bas and 375+ like this.
  20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #2546 Jack-the-lad, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Ok, here’s a gem from Autosport.com.

Edit: Comment moved to F1 P&R so as not to offend delicate sensibilities. :rolleyes::D

21. Natkingcolebasket69

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    To all the Hamilton haters:

Just imagine every poll and victory he had for Mercedes was actually in a Ferrari.

Would you feel the same way?

Terra and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t hate him but if he behaved in the same way I’d still consider him a pillock and a knob end.

stavura, Bas and 375+ like this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

I still am not sure what is so wrong with his behavior…
    I mean raikkonen, Verstappen, Alonso, how are they any better?
    Hamilton is just flamboyant and has views and speeches that bother ppl… I get it, but he is pretty harmless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terra likes this.