Why not to park your car near 5 empty parking spaces | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why not to park your car near 5 empty parking spaces

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by efg2014, Sep 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think his car was looking to have sex with your car! :D

2. pce01

pce01 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2013
    Rochester, NY/Tampa
    Full Name:
    Peter
    He did have an "I Support the Police" bumper sticker! And btw, he pulled in that way as I was opening my driver door to get out! Almost took the door off.

3. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The thing that bothers me the most is that I try to park well to the side of the last space at the end of a row, next to a curb, so that I only have to be concerned with one side, yet some SUV will invariably park well to the side of the space next to me, so that all the room I left is theirs instead.

kes7u, Florida Joe and GTuned like this.
  4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I own the car. I don't let the car own me.

Have fun.

ScottS and AD211 like this.
  5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La

6. FORZABLU

FORZABLU Rookie

Jun 4, 2011
    So, i parked my new 2000 360 Modena at the very end of the shopping center parking lot. Nobody around, and at least 6 rows away from the center entrance. Passenger side next to the curb.
    I come back to my car, and there is a new extended cab truck parked next to my drivers side. The passenger door of the truck is an inch away from my side view mirror. The right front tire of the truck is turned into my front wheel well!
    I waited there for about 30 min for the *******. No luck. I got in my passenger door and turned my wheel so i could climb the curb. I was able to back out of the space. I left a nice message on his passenger door.

7. AZ77

AZ77 Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Andres Z
    I'm always mocked and rushed by my wife when looking for a "proper" parking spot, no matter which of my cars I'm driving around in. After all these years I haven't been able to win that discussion lol... As her little hybrid can park literally anywhere and she has zero concern about dings and scratches, I don't have to get the paint on that one fixed hehehe

8. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    I once parked my 308 out on the North 40 at Costco in a totally empty line of parking spaces and came back as a guy was getting out of his truck which he parked next to my car, but at a reasonable distance. He saw me coming and anticipated my reaction, and said “I love your car and am being very careful. I just wanted to protect it from someone else giving you a door ding!” How thoughtful!

nicholasn, AD211, Lusso123 and 7 others like this.
  9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was thinking.. you know you *could* be a real ***** by parking in the left most spot and then on the right just happen to drop some sharp metal that would puncture a front tire if they were to park right-next-to-your-car. Must have been left there by the prior car... ;)

10. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Does that mean you’ll park in the space closest to the entrance regardless of the type and condition of the vehicles on either side, and the distance between them?

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Vince, it was our shopping cart. Had to figure out how much we could fit into the car. Understand the runaway shopping cart concern though. Been there done that.

12. ple0107

ple0107 Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    I hear you, man! Went to my nephew's wedding in a new car (NOT a Ferrari). It was a ways from home so my wife and I left plenty of time. Got to the church a little early, first car in the lot. Parked relatively close but not on "Pole". While waiting in the car a family pulls up right next to us on the passenger side. Their kid kicks open the back door right into my right front fender hard enough to dent it. That's as much as I want to remember about the wedding! People irritate me.

13. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Its so true, people don't care

14. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Many people don't care, on a few occasions I've found people sitting on my car to take a photo, and parking is always a concern, when I have to, I try to find an end space (grass/curb/landscaping... on one side) and angle my car (within the space) as close to the curb as possible, it allows at least 8-10 inches from the space marker/lines and MOST of the time that works, however it inevitably happens that someone will park close to the line next to you (not between the lines). In one instance as I was going back to my car a younger person quickly pulled in, threw open his door and hit my car door chipping the paint, all I got was a quick "Ooops" as he ran past to meet some friends at the restaurant..
    I'm not proud to mention this but I was so pissed I went to the general store (next to the restaurant) bought some crazy glue and squirted some in his door locks.
    Not sure what the end outcome was but I felt better about paying for a paint touchup.
    Now I carry 2 small 12" orange highway cones and place them beside the door, most people notice them and are a little more careful, and YES they get hit once in a while but the plastic doesn't chip my paint.

15. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Its crazy, tooks my wifes x5m to parent teacher night, i said before we left whats the bet some kid opens the car door on our car, sure enough we arrive, got out of car, a car pulls up and kid slams there door into mine, mother didnt even care
    asshats

Dolcevita likes this.
  16. AZ77

AZ77 Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Andres Z
    I get what pilotoCS said, like you can’t let the fear of having you car dented or dinged control your every move, but there’s so many a-holes out there that don’t give a **** if they or one of their offspring slams the door into your car, and then act completely indifferent… the attitude carries more weight than the actual deed.

I have had situations where the person apologises and asks to pay and such, and I’ll say “don’t sweat it”, but I’ll chase down the entitled a-holes and make them pay for the damage.

KC360 FL and rampante550 like this.
  17. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    An old thread, but it keeps on going. Caught my attention so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents... I drove my car to the dentist one day for the heck of it. Their office is in a strip mall. I parked about halfway up the fairly large parking lot. I left at least 5 empty spaces, but came out to find a beat up old mini van parked right next to me. No damage, but what is the deal with this? There's got to be something psychological about parking next to a "loner."

18. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Brilliant!

19. Wittlebit

Wittlebit Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Elizabeth
    The number of times I have gone around and around the parking lot finally finding the "safe "spot. Then I think I see a better one, leave the last one and go to the new one. That might happen three times til I think I am sort of safe. I always wonder what someone watching must think. Is she out for a cruise in the parking lot? No matter which I pick it will have someone dangerously near when I get back. People are mindless, uncaring or actually spiteful. Have a safe park.

AD211 likes this.
  20. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    When I attended the Ferrari Racing Days at Silverstone just a couple of weeks ago the people who parked either side of me parked so close I couldn't get into my car to drive out the space! :-(

On (my) driver's side they had parked so their passenger side was about 8" from mine so I couldn't access the door and the other person on the other side had parked their passenger side against me so you could just about open the door but not really get in. Had to open the door slightly and with my wife holding the door to stop it touching theirs I had to edge in sideways just enough to release my handbrake then push the car out of the space before I could then get in. Really annoying ad don't know what I would of done if I wasn't on level ground!!!!

Sort of behaviour you'd expect from non car people but when I saw them set off the next morning at least one of them was in all the Ferrari gear as if they were heading for Silverstone. There's no hope ???!!!!! GRRRR!!!!!

Just to counterbalance...

When I arrived at Silverstone and parked as directed by the Marshalls (who in effect decide how close you park to each other) as I opened my door the owner of the 458 next me got hold of my door which I assume was in effort to prevent me dinging his car. Felt pretty offended TBH but didn't say anything as didn't want to make a scene. I'd never dream of opening my door on someone else's car even if it's the rustiest heap ever and more importantly...DONT TOUCH MY CAR!!!!!!

Rant over :)

21. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Hammerless punch. Does wonders for the mind. I keep one in each of several cars just for the occasion of celebrating new paint and bodywork.
    A friend taught me the wonders of "tripping and catching yourself" on the door mirror, driving it down into the door sheetmetal.
    I also miss the pre-TPMS days of a soft valve stem and what you could do with a pair of dykes. I knew where I could find the azzhat for the next few hours.

I stopped expecting contrition long ago, because it so rarely happened (even got a few "So?" responses), and these days...........

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  22. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    My trick, as a young hoodlum, was to find a small pebble, put it in the valve cap, and screw it in just far enough that I could hear air start to hiss out. Would take a fair while for the tire to go flat, but most folks don't really pay attention until their tires are pretty darn near empty...

BJK and willrace like this.
  23. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Now I carry 2 small 12" orange highway cones and place them beside the door, most people notice them and are a little more careful, and YES they get hit once in a while but the plastic doesn't chip my paint.[/QUOTE]

Seems like the point is to park in a manner to avoid attention and the likelihood of getting a ding. Setting up cones screams "you poor people in your cheap junky cars are not rich, cool, nor special like I am so do not get near MY Ferrari". Setting up cones around your Ferrari may tick off one of those "trashy" people and you will end up with something a whole lot worse than a little ding or scratch.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,
    So many people ask me or to you afraid to drive your Ferrari and I said no I'm afraid to park it. I normally drive around looking for the best place but I've had similar experiences to all of you. Many people are inconsiderate, when it comes to the Ferrari I take this very seriously.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dolcevita likes this.
  25. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Seems like the point is to park in a manner to avoid attention and the likelihood of getting a ding. Setting up cones screams "you poor people in your cheap junky cars are not rich, cool, nor special like I am so do not get near MY Ferrari". Setting up cones around your Ferrari may tick off one of those "trashy" people and you will end up with something a whole lot worse than a little ding or scratch.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Sounds like asking for trouble and or drawing more unneeded attention.

Bill Phillips likes this.