F8 - 190 mph run vs 720S Spider. Close race! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F8 190 mph run vs 720S Spider. Close race!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gtgtgtgt, Sep 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Because not doing so would mean being an ass towards those I know who owns them. If a buddy calls and say "Let's go for a drive and lunch", I'm not going to say "No thanks. The turbo lag and shape of your car won't allow me to partake in your nefarious activities."
    I will say "Yes, absolutely!" and have a great day on the road. I can do that, but it does not change the fact that I'm left feeling that it's not a car I would choose for various reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    So as a passenger in a 720s , the turbo lag is so pervasive as to obviate any enjoyment of being taken for a drive by your friend. Furthermore, the unappealing design aesthetic of the 720s engenders unease and is an affront to your sophisticated sensibilities. You must be kidding.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very cool.
    There's definitely something different about the n/a mills. If you ask me which car I think is more fun, a 488 Evo Challenge or an F430 GT3 Evo, the latter by a huge margin. It's a bit ofcthe same I suppose.

My point here was more on the road. Here we are dealing with both threshold lag and turbo lag, which are two things many get confused. On the track we are constantly on boost so no threshold, but turbo lag still affects throttle response. Here I think the Pista is better because throttle input generally are more crisp and predictable.
    Now on the street, the F8 does a great job of limiting threshold lag and turbo lag on boost is a total non issue. However the 720S has a very noticable lag in both regards and that I find to turn me off. Overall I just find the F8 to be a more engaging and playful machine. That's just me, your results may differ:)

ScrappyB likes this.
  4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Going for lunch with your friend in his 720s is categorized by you as “ nefarious activities.” Wow!

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think you missed my point completely. That was exactly why I exemplified it the way I did. Just didn't think I had to bend it in neon lights.
    I said, "That's aero for you". Obviously the Pista uses more aero to get downforce and directional stability, but it comes at a cost. Run a GT2RS and a TTS on the Autobahn and the TTS will absolutely spank the GT.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You haven't seen how we go to lunch;)

ScrappyB and SoCal to az like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    How would the TTS spank a GT2/RS?

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    In a straight line it would.

Chizz and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    TTS is faster 0-60 due to AWD but the GT2/RS beats it in the 1/4 mile.

10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Interesting thread.

Had an F8 and F8 spider coming December according to the factory.
    F8 does everything perfectly. Nothing wanting. No reason to ever look at another car. Except I did.

Went on a lark to drive the 720S. Drive my 812 to McLaren Orlando which is one hour outside Orlando(???!??). They have a quasi circuit around the compound it’s temporarily housed in.

Anyone who debates the F8 vs the 720 hasn’t driven the 720. Or driven it hard.

Drive it hard. Really as hard as possible on a test drive. Best driving car I have driven. Steering, braising and (less so) noise. Really amazing.

Did I buy it ? No. I like Ferrari and my Ferraris too much to occupy a slot in my garage with one. But if I had a bigger garage or acquired a commercial property interest with car capacity as some of my friends have, I’d be there the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Boost threshold (threshold lag) and turbo lag are indeed distinct. I have mad respect for Ferrari’s dedication and success in minimizing both in the Pista and F8. It seems McLaren has prioritized peak horsepower and top end punch at the expense of responsiveness. It certainly delivers a different experience which I’d characterize as being more violent and manic in an F40 kind of way.

tekaefixe and Thecadster like this.
  12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This sums it up nicely. Once can be a big fan of Ferrari and still realize that other cars are out there. In some respects different, in others, better. F8 is awesome. 720 is awesome. Best is to get both.

Chizz likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Top speed. Here in Europe we get to test out that suff in Germany. On the Autobahn you really feel that big wing and all the other aero stuff in an RS.

Why do you think a Pista runs out of puff at 342 kph but a heavier and larger Lusso with a taller gear and less power will run 345? It's for the same reason that an 812 runs 360 despite only having 80 more hp than the Pista. It's all about drag.

14. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    #89 FerrariCognoscenti, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Those of us over here also have the ability to buy whatever we want, and no matter how quick the 720 is, to me, it’s just ugly. Mclaren with all their history could only wish they had such dedicated clientele as Ferrari. There is no “Mclaren Classiche” there is no “Mclaren Challenge” series. There is nothing that maintains the identity and history of Mclaren across GENERATIONS. No 720 Mclaren will stay in any family for a generation. And Mclaren design language does not speak to me at all…except the Mclaren F1, but that was basically a different company entirely. Mclaren is just a few years out of a near missed-bankruptcy. There is more to a car than just the raw numbers on paper.

I would take a 355 Ferrari that does 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds with a 20 second quarter mile over any 720 Mclaren. You may get from point A to point B quicker, but I assure you, I will be enjoying the trip so much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chizz likes this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What I wouldn’t give to live near a de restricted portion of the autobahn.

Thecadster and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    What does " Those over here also have the ability to by whatever we want" mean. I do not know where you live, but everyone on this forum, regardless of residence, has the ability to buy whatever they wish.Out of curiosity, which Ferrari or Ferraris, do you own?

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    So your citeria of measuring " spanking" is top speed. Hence, since the GT2/RS has significant aero, which the TTS does not, which will reduce ultimate top speed, the TTS spanks the GT2.The Lusso will likewise accomplish a spanking over the Pista.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If history and events that you dont take part in are most important to you then might find Ford appealing. They also have a racing league not to mention family owned cars for decades. You may even get to your destination faster.

19. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I guess some people forget that Mclaren has only been making road cars for 11 years. They also forget that Ferrari had to be bailed out by fiat and at one point fiat owned 90%. They also forget Mclaren does have a GT racing series. Those same people probably argue that Apple or android is the best and the only phone to have without trying the other brand. I guess some people will just miss out on what else is out there.

tekaefixe, JAM1, SoCal to az and 2 others like this.
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The issue of boost threshold and turbo lag are often confused with the former concept not acknowledged. Both concepts are determinative of a car's acceleration abilities. Sufficient threshold boost is required to spin the turbos. An integral part of the equation when the topic of turbo lag is discussed is the car's gearing and the importance of engine RPM. In order to minimize lag, the car must be in the optimum gear in order to maximize the engine speed which will optimally propel the turbos. Floor a car that is in too low a gear with sub optimum RPM and the lag will be highly obtrusive. Push the throttle in a higher gear and the turbo lag will be less evident. Turbo lag will therefore be more evident when accelerating in too low a gear and will be less noticeable in a higher RPM range. Familiarizing ones self with the car will result in increasing threshold boost and minimizing turbo lag.

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Similar to a NA engine, too low of a gear and it bogs or takes a while to spin up and produce power. Just a different feeling as you dont get that hit.

Coincid likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The emergence of Mclaren and the rennaisance of Lamborghini coupled with the introduction of a range of Porche GT cars, has resulted in a cornucopia of super cars. They are all special and stellar performers, offering divergent design concepts and driving dynamics. Restricting ones' ownership to a single brand without experiencing the others and blindly dismissing them is doing a disservice to one self. Variety is the spice of life and failing to indulge in its riches, is self defeating. Individual priorties and preferences will determine which models or brand will be ultimnately chosen, but true car enthusiasts should be grateful and ecstatic over the options waiting to be experienced.

Thecadster, RoadRonin and Gh21631 like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Exactly. Floor a Performante in 5 th gear reving at 2k and witness the result. Little thrust and stalled acceleration.

Gh21631 likes this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What is it with you? Why are you so insistent on getting into fights with me? I'm being friendly and cordial, use a bit of light hearted banter to keep things humorous, and yet you insist on keeping getting antagonistic. What's the deal man, what's your beef?

I said something to someone else regarding high speed performance between an F8 and Pista. Then you get into it. I use the TTS and GT2RS to make a SPECIFIC comparison about top speed. Yes, in regards to top skeed a GT2RS will lose to a TTS, and badly. Quarter miles? What does that have to do with anything? A TTS is fast because of the AWD system, that's old news, and totally irrelevant to what it's about. I'm also well aware that on a track, a GT2RS is much faster than a TTS? And? You want to get into an argument on track driving with me too? And what the hell does my exleriences and opinion with Lamborghini have to do with anything?

You may own a 765, but trust me dude, don't think it makes you a bigger expert on general performance than everybody else, and don't for one second think I don't know McLarens. Here's what I did for two days at Brands Hatch last week. What car am I driving? Is it faster than your 765? Quite sure that I actually have more track time in 720's and 765's than you, and even if that's not the case with the 765, I know you would have to get up pretty damn early to hang with me on track.

Now you show me some pictures of you on track in your 765. I race often, I know what I'm doing. When is your next day on track? I'm on P Ricard within a few weeks with the Pista. What are you doing with your 765?

You are hellbent on creating an argument DESPITE me trying to let old disagreements be bygones.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Those who are blinded by pertinacious and unyielding partisanship and bias are incapable of seeing objective realities. Closed minds do not permit light to enter.

mkraft3003 likes this.