Ooni Koda 16 Pizza Oven | FerrariChat

Ooni Koda 16 Pizza Oven

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Shark01, Sep 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Finally bought one recently after a year of going back and forth. Have made really basic pizzas on 2 occasions getting used to using it.

As they say, the first few pies are more like a science project than food so it takes a hot minute to get the technique down. Not only the cooking but also the preparation. The first time we ended up with fine white flour dust everywhere. The last time we did all prep over a large beach towel which helped alot. Used the Caputo blue 00 flour and it works amazing.

Speaking of a hot minute, as the adverts say, you can cook a pizza in a minute.....but that doesn't mean you should. It is very difficult to manage with the burners on high, and burnt crust was the result.

The last tip is since we didn't buy a turning peel I struggled turning it by hand (you slide the big peel under, pull it out from the oven, turn it, and slide back in) because it was so damn hot. The 2nd time I used some tongs which worked great.

Now time to start experimenting with different sauces and toppings.

vincent355 and arizonaitalian like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Pics!

T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  3. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    Great hobby as well. I dont have an ooni, i bought a smaller wood oven by clementi. Its a great way to spend a few hours.

Attached Files:

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nice...we bought the propane fired one to reduce the mess.

5. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    Unrelated, but you should join the Diablo owners group on signal. Theres around 30 of us now from around the world.

Pm me with your phone number and I can send you an invite if interested.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    We are now starting to branch out a little since we have more experience. Last night we upgraded some ingredients, and also made cheesy garlic bread in it using a half order of dough.....family loved that.

It does make for a mess to clean up though....

tomc likes this.
  7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    sigh...you know the phrase...

"pics or it didnt' happen"

Such a tease ;):p:D

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    tomc and arizonaitalian like this.
  9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    thanks! I've had some interest in one of these for a while...but then I read from other new purchasers that their waistline wishes they hadn't. I could see eating pizza waaayyy too often!

Shark01 likes this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I read the same, but like most things it will turn into an occasional use thing soon enough so I can't see it being a long term issue. We have used it like every other weekend so far, but will eventually be a once every 4-6 week thing. It takes enough effort that you shouldn't be tempted all that much.

The other thing is you can regulate calories through toppings and reducing the amount of dough (smaller and thinner).

11. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    Get a wood one if youre worried. Its inconvenient enough to keep that from being a problem.

Attached Files:

TexasF355F1 and arizonaitalian like this.
  12. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    We have a Tuscan chef. It is awesome! Wood below, gets going in 30 to 45 minutes. I use it for more than pizza and it’s always fun to spend time outside with family or friends.

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    fighting the urge to buy one of these daily now...

the 16" is up to $599. Ugh.

The 12" is $399.

We really won't use it very often and so either is a lot of money for a half dozen pie's each year...

Still resisting...seeing pics here would screw me tho!

14. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    My wife bought me one. Still sitting in the box. I can't decide if I want it or not. I have a big green egg. I don't like a lot of "stuff" (house small -- i like to be efficient and not weighed down by things).

But.... my BGE is an XL. Takes quite a bit to get the whole thing up to heat. Reading reviews on these -- you can also do steaks and other things in them. Think it might be nice to have something smaller I can fire up quickly.

Any thoughts on gas vs. wood? I am leaning towards wood.

Anyone have a ceramic grill as well? Would it be redundant to have both?

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OP here

We have had ours for 6 months, but have only used it once this year. Like a lot of cooking stuff, it is enough of a hassle that I seldom want to use it. If it broke, I wouldn’t replace it.

Making the dough is much easier with the stand mixer we bought at Christmas, before it was a *****.

Working the dough from round to flat is tricky and time consuming. The kids and wife hate doing it.

Adding toppings while keeping it “launchable” is the hardest thing. You make it on a wooden block or a glass cutting board with flour underneath the crust, but you have to keep moving the dough around and as the dough gets warmer it gets more and more sticky.....so going from the fridge to the oven as fast as you can is needed.

The oven (gas) is easy to set up and bring to temperature and the pizzas cook as fast as advertised. One negative is that you need to use so much flour to keep it launchable that you end up tasting the flour on the bottom of the crust. And the fine flour goes everywhere so it is a pain to clean up.

16. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Don't resist. Give into the dark side.
    We probably do pizza night once a week.
    My recs: 16" gives you more space to work with, easier launch and turning, easier temp fine tuning
    Gas is quicker than wood.

Helpful tools:
    Thermopen temp laser; I like ~950F on the stone.
    Launching peel: https://www.epicureancs.com/product/pizza-peels/
    (just a light dusting is needed.)
    Turning peel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXTDXJ3?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-ypp-rep_ypp_rep_k0_1_10&amp&crid=2KWQXLZ11WTB8&amp&sprefix=pizza+turn
    Kitchen Aid pizza cutter wheel works well.
    BBQ wire brush on a long wooden handle to give the stone a quick clean between pies.
    Dough recipe: "Roberts'a pizza dough" from NYTimes
    Sauce: can of tomatoes briefly blended with salt
    Fresh basil, motz (sample dif brands)
    drizzle some olive oil, sprinkle some salt, maybe some marie sharps hot sauce...
    Oh man, stoked it's almost pizza friday
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350, VAF84 and arizonaitalian like this.
  17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    wow, thank you so much for taking the time to pass along all that info. I had started shopping and realized the peel and turner and cutter and thermometer would need to be selected and there are a lot of choices out there! And not to mention a dough recipe. Really appreciate you passing along your recs.

I agree re the 16" and gas...if I get one, it will be the Ooni Koda 16...

C50 likes this.
  18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    thanks for sharing your experience, its pretty much what I'm worried about. To clarify, what are the "hassle" parts that make it seem not worth it?

1) Setting up and heating the gas oven?
    2) Making the dough?
    3) Shaping it?
    4) Getting it into the oven?
    5) Turning and getting out of the oven?

Asking, because we are most worried about 3 and 4...we have never been able to get a pizza to "launch" easily (even with flour etc) and shaping it and getting it big/round has been a challenge...wanting to confirm those are the "hassle" bits, or other?

Thanks.

19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    which model is sitting in the box still?

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So it used to be 2-5, but having a stand mixer and remembering to grab tongs to help turn it.....now it’s 3 & 4.

One thing we did this last time that helped reduce the time element was make dough ahead of time and freeze it....otherwise it seemed like an all day affair. And ironically the only reason we did that was I told the teenagers we were making pizza after making dough and they were like No Way and scattered.

21. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am out of town, but is the gas fired one. Thinking about switching it to a wood fired one if I decide to keep an ooni.

22. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My friend has one and uses it all the time. He did homemade pizzas for us on Sunday. I enjoyed it. Not something I would want to add to things I cook on.

I'm like you Will, I hate having too many 'things'. People left and right are telling me to get an air fryer. I'm sure I'd like it, but all I need is something else to take up counter/cabinet space that's not truly revolutionary to my taste buds.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    While I am meh about the pizza cooker, we think the air fryer may be the best kitchen appliance since the microwave in the 70s. Use it for all sorts of things.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    hmmm...

25. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9