To Apple Carplay or Not?? | FerrariChat

To Apple Carplay or Not??

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Glenn Quagmire, Sep 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    I elected not to check the boxes on my current F8 or Portofino. However, with an SF spider and Porto M at 10G currently, I'm trying to decide before the clock runs out, whether I really need this feature on either car. Dealer says take rate is about 70% on new orders.

These cars are not driven often or on trips, so navigation integration isn't important. Bluetooth seems just fine on my current F-cars. But, I'm curious if anyone here has a compelling use that might change my mind? TIA for your responses!

2. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Apple carplay on SF90 is way beyond poor connectivity. It disconnects phone or sometimes rejects phone.
    Also, you can not have apple navi on normal navi screen. You have to have navi module to see navi alongside rpm and car info.
    You have to change to carplay screen to see apple navi.

In short, it is useless unless they update software to decent level. Still I doubt I can access carplay navi without switching to carplay screen.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

cesman, ryalex and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  3. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Thank you for sharing. It sounds no more sorted than when I ordered my ‘20’s.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It's the price that makes one wonder.:rolleyes:

vraa likes this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I got to drive an SF90 with CarPlay for a day and what I found is echoed above by @j09333.

I am usually a fan of CarPlay, but I also do not like how they’ve implemented it in their new setup.

Yes, it is true that you can use the media functions while using what I will call the Ferrari screen (big central tach flanked by sub screens).

The problem is when you want to use the CarPlay itself- it takes over almost the entire screen, with speed, and I think RPM over to the side. I don’t agree with this choice as this is a Ferrari and not some other car. Also, if you have elected to leave it in the Ferrari screen and a message comes in, if the phone is connected via CarPlay, the screen will momentarily switch into CarPlay mode. I found this distracting, and thus, my opinion is it could be dangerous.

I hope Ferrari will address this. My suggestion is on the main Ferrari screen- with the tach in the middle, there are several sub screens in their layout. The one to the right is a fairly decent size window- I think they should give you the option to put CarPlay into this window.

And then there is the price. Its very expensive for what one would hope is future proof technology.

Ferrari must have excellent market research, but my opinion is they should include CarPlay (and AndroidAuto) on all models as standard and allow the driver whether or not to enable it via a software toggle. Raise the base price of the car by whatever it needs to be raised. I think the new generation of buyers will expect it and could be turned off by making it optional and at such a dear price.

Normally I would order it, even at this price, but after seeing the implementation, I’m not sure. The one argument in favor is simply the car would have a possibly desirable option that sets it apart when the time to sell comes. I just wonder if it will be desirable with the current implementation.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

SeattleStew and j09333 like this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    In my car the only thing I use Carplay for is on a trip to use Waze. I have never really figured out the value of other apps as they are just distractions.

7. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Use the cplay2air adapter. Use it for maps and Amazon music. Never had an issue with disconnecting. Calls work fine. Same on the Portofino. Apple CarPlay was a must as I can’t see Ferrari doing map updates…… both cars have wonderful displays and will end up with old, out of date, maps.

8. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I echo everything above. It’s total crap. Disconnects all the time and you can’t share Waze or Google/Apple maps on the screen. So what’s the point?

Caeruleus11 and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  9. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    If you hold down the Hone button it will switch back to Ferrari display. I only discovered this inadvertently recently.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Headsuppassinglft

Dec 24, 2020
    Addison, TX
    Full Name:
    Christine Fritsch
    Will Waze still show in a screen next to the center one?

11. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Unfortunately not. Just not that well integrated. It’s really not worth the cost.

12. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    I just took delivery of my new 2022 BMW M850i xDrive, which came standard with Apple CarPlay.
    It is seamless, perfectly integrated and was included in the base price of $103K. Ferrari should do the same on all cars.

This M850i is an amazing engineering feat, by the way.

cesman, Caeruleus11 and jm2 like this.
  13. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Yes, Audi and Merc also work flawlessly. Ironic that Eddy Cue (Apple) is on Ferrari’s board…

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Agreed about flawless Apple CarPlay in Merc’s. If only my two ‘21 G63’s weren’t the biggest pieces of **** I’ve ever owned…

15. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    When I was shopping for a new daily driver it occurred to me that most cars these days come standard with Apple CarPlay. I'm sure the base price has been increased to account for it, and it would be nice to see Ferrari do the same. It's like free shipping, the shipping isn't free, the prices of everything just went up a bit to account for the shipping.

When I ordered my first Ferrari last year I was surprised and not surprised to find out it's an option (and a $4k one to boot). My SA had done well to explain beforehand that when ordering a Ferrari the car is the car, and if I want to add any creature comforts, change colors, materials, etc it is all an option. And that most things that come standard on other cars are not going to be standard with Ferrari. CarPlay was an absolute must have for me on my 812SF, so I paid for it, and overall it was fine.

Caeruleus11 likes this.