599 6-1 headers | Page 5 | FerrariChat

599 6-1 headers

Discussion in '612/599' started by DZ-96, Sep 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My headers from Fabio are on the way and should arrive within the next few days.
    I went ahead and removed all of the stock components. Daniel- you were not kidding....what a nightmare!
    I hope fitting the new ones will be easier!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Don't forgery to order 12 exhaust manifold gaskets, the 2 gaskets for the sec air parts (for the head) and new copper nuts.

Daniel

3. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ok, after quite a bit of work, I have finally finished!

Fabio's headers are truly works of art to behold.

Comparison with stock.

The install presented a different set of challenges to removing the stock components. The difficulty with removing the stock headers is how little room you have to work around each nut. You need a pretty good assortment of tools and lots of patience.
    With Fabio's headers, there is much more room around the nuts overall, so that part is nice. However, fitting them, along with the cats, into the engine bay was very difficult. On the right side, headers go from the top and cats from the bottom (removing the oil filter gives you enough room to work from below). The left side is a lot harder. The headers go in from the bottom easily, but then the cat does not. So, I ended up taking them back out, and sliding in both the cat and headers from the top. You have to disconnect the steering column and also the front hard-line for the secondary air pump to do this. Even still, there is barely enough room and it takes some time. The other option, if you have access to a transmission jack, would be to use that to support the engine and remove the motor mount arm. If I had to do it over again, I think this is the route I would go from the beginning. It would give so much more access all around and make the whole install easier.
    Also, you need to leave everything loose until it is completely assembled, just to allow for some wiggle room to fit components together. So put everything in place, get all of the hardware started, and only then start methodically tightening each component.
    With aftermarket items like these and such a constrained space, there is a lot of trial and error and learning on the fly.
    If anyone buys a set and wants to DIY install, I would be happy to go into more details and hopefully save you some headache. Just send me a message.

Now that everything is all buttoned up, it was time for the first drive. The sound is incredible! It is very civilized with the bypass closed, but when it opens, it screams like a wild animal!

As promised, here is a quick video from my first drive. I will get some better ones in the coming weeks (from outside the car as well). I still need to install the bypass remote controller.
    The video doesn't do it justice at all. I think the volume is perfect with cats. In my opinion, the non-cat version would be too loud for the street. It is already quite noisy!
    Ferrari 599 Fiammenghi 6-1 headers - YouTube

Fabio was excellent to deal with throughout the entire process. He kept me updated with pictures via WhatsApp messages, and consistently hit every deadline that he laid out. If you have been considering these, I cannot recommend Fabio and his headers highly enough. Great product, great service.

Ferrari55whoa, evanmcm, Bas and 12 others like this.
  4. Michael8888

Michael8888 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2019
    Free Republic of Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi all, I just picked up a 599 HGTE...I have already ordered the Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes...I am curious if anyone has combined a set-up like this with Fabio's 6-1 headers?

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can order Fabio's headers without cats and you would need his transition pipes. Not likely (almost certainly not) compatible with the Fabspeed pipes.

Incidentally, those are the primary cats you are bypassing.

Michael8888 likes this.
  6. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi Michael,

Fabio makes his own set of bypass pipes which can be seen in my photo above with everything laid out next to the stock components.
    To me, they look identical to the Fabspeed units in terms of design, so I think you'd be able to use your Fabspeed ones with his headers/cats if you'd like. Best to confirm with him though.

George Vosburgh and Michael8888 like this.
  7. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi all

Bad News about my 599, just since the headers and the GTO Wheel ist was perfect.

I have to go back in time for better unterstanding.
    Before i bought in 2015 the car, it got a new engine from a very large Ferrari dealer in Italy, there was something with a warranty case. This was at 35500 km.
    End of august, about 14000 km later, i Testes the car for about 350 km with the small silencers i for from Fabio, the car got some missfire, the engine Control came up, and the car ran not with all cylinders i it had a ticking noise like from a hydro tappet.
    After i got the the car home i began to check the sparks, cyl. 2 was a little bit darker.
    So i organized an Endoskope and saw that at cyl. 2 one valve was open and 3 were closed.

With Fabio‘s help and Connection i brought the car to italy to an Official Ferrari Workshop for better Diagnostik and the upcomming repair.

After uninstalling the Engine they found out very bad things.

Most of the hydraulik tappets wäre broken, 1 was completly destroyed and cracked out from its place, head at this bore destroyed, cams with jammed signs, ....
    They found dry fluid gasket pieces and some Metal Parts from in Front of the Oli pump.
    The heads got much too less oil, because of the clogged oil pump.

Nobody knows and understood why this happened exactly, but it was clear that something went completly wrong when they changed the Engine in 2014.

Workshop got a new head for the destroyed one, all other parts are no problem, Engine block with pistons, liners and crankshaft were without and damage, so a rebuild was possible.

Nevertheless i decided to sell the car with all original parts and close the chapter 599 for me personally

So sad, the car was so perfect with the headers and the small silencers, and i only could enjoy the sound 350 km.

So i plan to sell the special parts, beginning with the the

6-1 headers with cats and small silencers
    GTO grille for GTB bumper
    Tubi propella mufflers
    Tubi cat delete pipes
    Capristo valve control
    Perhaps my GTO wheels

Daniel

Makuono likes this.
  8. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    I did receive and installed today the Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes, ( without combination) the sound is so much different, I enjoy, bravo !

Michael8888 likes this.
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- That is terrible news. Any help from Ferrari?

10. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Daniel, this is tragic! Agree with Taz….would Ferrari help at all?

11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Daniel informed me of all this earlier, I was waiting for him to post to the group. Truly tragic, a great car and a dedicated 599 owner.

12. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    brogenville, Bas and Makuono like this.
  13. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Many thanks for your condolence.

I didn't spoke to Ferrari, why I should ?
    The mistake was caused from a very bad work from an official dealer in autumn 2014.

The gasket material was inside the engine since there, and now it got in front of the oil pump.
    I believe there's no cause for any help.

For me the chapter is closed now.
    I hope the parts will find a new owner which can enjoy the sound and the visual look.

I began to search for another V12 toy, we will see.

Daniel

Makuono likes this.
  14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Scary photos of the damage.

Skidkid likes this.
  15. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    True words Terry

16. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I have seen pictures of that same case sealant in the 599 transaxle filter-which is why I will be sure to follow the arduous process described in the workshop manual when I change the transaxle lube soon.

This just makes me wonder if this excess case sealant is a lurking time bomb in our engines and transaxles. I am wondering if the loose sealant was the root cause of low oil flow leading to the head damage. I would assume that the low oil pressure warning would come on if there is a pressure/flow problem, but do not know how the multiple pump areas of the oil/water pump are actually plumbed or work. I think I will study the diagrams in some detail now. I assume that the pickup in the sump would have a screen that would prevent debris from clogging the oil pump inlet(s).

I am also now wondering if the heads were assembled using some sealant when they should be assembled dry.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  17. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Daniel: PM me on the price of the headers, cats and small silencers. Thanks

18. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    So sad to hear Daniel but understand your (rather brave) desire to move on … hopefully your 599 will regain its former glory soon!

19. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Steve, I agree your thoughts

The upper engine got oil, but to less.
    The crankshaft and the complete lower section was absolutely fine, so this area was without a problem.

I think 1 pump unit is responsible for the upper section, the other for the lower section.
    And also I think that the oil pressure sensor is at the lower section.

So I think the unit for the heads gets clogged, think not 100% but enough to run with too less oil.

I don't know how long the unit was clogged, think it was a "creeping" problem that got more and more critical.
    Engine ran fine nearly to the end, no noises or something else, and after the ECU warning and the misfire I only "ran out" 1 km.

Daniel

20. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    So sorry for you. Will it be possible to know the VIN to avoid to see your car in the future as "original" or " matching numbers" ?

21. Riomaa

Riomaa Karting

May 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    LP
    Sorry to hear all of this. I've actually taken a lot of inspiration from your build into my plans for my car.

Interested in the headers and cat delete if you're still looking for someone to take them.

22. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Oh no!! I am so sorry to see this. Scary pictures for sure. Best of luck with your future plans

23. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Sorry to hear this, Daniel.

24. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    Guys, selling the 599 so selling also some tuning bits including the non-cat 6 in 1, ceramic coated. PM me if interested in the list of parts.

BTW: how can I advertise on For Sale forum?

Sent from my SM-N986B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#125 George Vosburgh, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    You need to subscribe to Silver or Gold to sell a car or anything else.

FIN612 and FNCOOL like this.