Maserati MC20 | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #601 TheMayor, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    I still worried about those buttery doors in a parking situation next to other cars. It seems like unless the doors are fully open you can't get inside. They do seem to go out quite a bit unlike Lambo scissors doors.

2. AZ77

AZ77 Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Andres Z
    You’re quite correct on that, they have to be fully open, or else you can’t get in/out.

And they definitely stick further out than “traditional” scissor doors. Having parking lot nightmares already…

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Isn't everything fast these days? It almost seems like an immaterial point with modern cars. This car strikes me as the most unique car in this category for quite a while. It harkens back to looking good first, then worry about aero later, only Maserati seemingly married the both beautifully. So many modern cars look like CFD exercises

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    All correct - but while Ferrari offers -beside their Tailor-made-program- no leess than 21 different colors, Maserati offers.....5! Sorry to say, but that is BS....

5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ever opened a standard Ferrari door in a parking lot?? Typical that with Maserati everything will be critizised why with Ferrari nobody even spend a thought...

The absolut majority on this forum has never seen, sit in or driven the MC20. I did -the entire day. Big bonus of the MC20 is that the sills are part of the doors. So its much easier getting in and out.

boralogist likes this.
  6. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    +1

7. jojoh12

jojoh12 Rookie

Aug 16, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Johannes H
    I visited the Factory in Modena yesterday.
    On the line we saw a lot of cars for the US, which might be good news if you ordered and awaiting delivery.
    Right now the output is 6 per day, majority is white and black, followed by blue and grey and quite seldom yellow and red. I was told that there will be more colours available short-term.

TheMayor likes this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well the issue is, is this a car that can really be used or is it a weekend toy. If parking it is a problem, its a problem.

9. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #609 boralogist, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  10. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is great information. But it does not show the real situation.

For one thing most vehicles today in the USA are large SUV vehicles and trucks with large mirrors that stick out higher than the Mc20's car roof. So the actual distance is much less if one of these vehicles parked normally next to the MC20 on the driver's side.

Because the MC20 doors to both UP and rotate OUTWARD means you can't look at this simply from one view.

Second I can squeeze into a partially opened "normal" car door. I did this many times in my Alfa 4c which also has a very wide door and a difficult entry. Its difficult and uncomfortable but it is possible to get into the car (albeit while cussing out why its so difficult). But it seems impossible to squeeze into the MC20 with a partially opened door.

At least that's my observation. It will be interesting to hear real world owners and their comments when the cars arrive.

12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Agreed.
    Look, in real life I will NOT park my Khamsin or Bora etc anywhere where they are close enough for some idiot to bang his/her door into me.
    It is the price we pay for enjoying our hobby. Restaurants bars friends homes are evaluated accordingly.

psw, wbaeumer and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I get that. My issue is that if this is going to be an everyday car vs a special occasion car, this is a problem for me. I prefer to drive my cars everywhere, not just park them in front of restaurants or valet it.

14. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Valet it?
    ...now them are fighting words;)

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Everyday car? I suspect it would become quite a hassle with all the young male oglers in rice rockets etc. Not to mention being a target for crime. Special well planned trips ... Maybe if you live near Bodega Bay or Carmel. I get to regularly see an interesting cross section of who buys the Ferraris, Mclarens, Lamborghinis, Bentleys, Aston Martins and yes even Maseratis LOL. So it will be interesting to see who flocks to this car and how much tasteless customizing they do.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But....

if I wanted a toy, I'd buy another Ferrari. To me Maserati's should not be toys. You should use them. They will depreciate one way or another.

There's enough super car toys out there that sit in garages.

17. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Remember these words!
    MC20 is a very different animal.

It will be fun watching their annoying appreciation.;)

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Why do you think that an MC20 in that mid-engine layout should be an everyday car? If you need such a car then buy a Levante, Ghibli III or QP.
    Maserati made the MC20 as something they never made during the last 16 years - a toy! The brand truly deserve this car after all these business carriers.....

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The reason the MC12 didn't sell well is it was a toy. My point is if you spend a quarter million dollars on a car, it should work in the real world.

I can't tell you the number of people who were interested in the Alfa 4c but never bought it because it was too difficult to get in and out of (which it is). If you have an obvious design flaw (again I don't really know if these doors are yet), it limits sales and resale values.

20. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    OK---We are done!
    Be well and enjoy your 4C!

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I may buy a Mc20 convertible. But I need more information.

"Information" from Maserati is like trying to find a ghost. You sense something is there, but you can never prove it :)

wbaeumer likes this.
  22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The reason why the MC12 did not sell in bigger numbers was:

- it was limited to 50 GT-versions to match the FIA-rules for the BPR race series in 2005!
    - the GT- had a price tag of over 750k Euros at that time so could only afford by the "Happy Few". You can not compare this car to the much "cheaper" MC20...

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I am not comparing it. My point is that if a car can only be used as a toy, sales are lower. I myself would lose interest in it.

I'm not saying that yet. I need to see the spider. But I have a question about how the doors work in the real world.

24. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ahh just shut up, put down your deposit and be grateful they accepted it! It's much more exclusive that way! :)

TheMayor likes this.
  25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Last time I did that was to get a Yugo. :)