F430 Alignment specs (Recommended) | FerrariChat

F430 Alignment specs (Recommended)

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by jag-oo-r, Sep 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    All:
    I've been reading-up on some other threads about the F430 being a notorious understeer-er (I think that's not a word). I've been reading about some who've changed to a wider front tire to help that, but others have said that has hurt the overall dynamics of the car.

I could use some direction from those with experience.

For context, I'm not a Pro-Driver, but I am one of the "fast guys" in whatever group I'm running. I'm an instructor for the PCA, and a licensed racer with NASA and PCA. My race car though, is a Spec Boxster: different speed potential, to be sure. haha.

My F430 Spider is NOT used for tracking, except occasionally. But I do want it to handle well around the canyons, AND when I occasionally jump on the track with it.
    Currently, I find that it feels ready to understeer far too easily on high-speed sweeping corners. It simply leaves me feeling a lack of confidence in it.... like it's sort of floating through the corner. I haven't done an alignment on it yet, but I'm getting ready to replace coilovers and flamblocs, etc, and tires, and this is the right time to dial it in.

What settings are you folks using for the car? I'm accustomed to much more camber, and I think I need a little toe-in in front. Does this car respond well to some toe in the rear?
    I can't mess too much with ride-height, because in my area we deal with deep gutters and tall curbs, due to the heavy winters. (I can lower a little, but I'm already using the skid-plates on the nose to enter my driveway).
    What's the hot setup y'all are using? I'm planning to bust-out the strings and get after it! haha.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    jag-oo-r likes this.
  3. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Wow! Ask and ye shall receive! This is awesome!

Can I assume these measurements are in mm? Not degrees? And is the toe setting "per wheel", or total?

I'll for sure be trying the "fast road" settings to start with, and maybe creep closer to the "track" as I play with it.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    per the graph toe is mm. Total or 'per wheel', duh, I don't recall. Will try to remember to look in my records. Camber is deg.