360 - 360s and 430s are beautiful cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 360s and 430s are beautiful cars

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob in Makiki, Sep 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The 360 was a beautiful "new" design for Ferrari. Simply ageless. The 430... meh. To me the 430 was just a reheated steak dinner compared to the 360 design-- hot and delicious!

2. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    looks more like the F8
    That is a bit harsh :)

After I sold my Modena, I looked hard at the 430, I love the performance numbers and tech in it, even though I do not go over 70 MPH :) The price difference between the 360 and 430 was about $20k at the time. I loved the aggressive front end, the lines there are ferocious and beautiful at the same time, as I moved towards the back, the car suddenly had angular lines, it just did not make sense to my personal sense of taste. I was thinking WTF, did two people design the car and meet in the middle? If the 430 would have kept the gorgeous rounded lines on the side air intakes, I probably would have purchased one. Instead, I picked up a 360 again.

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    KC360 FL said:
    The 360 was a beautiful "new" design for Ferrari. Simply ageless. The 430... meh. To me the 430 was just a reheated steak dinner compared to the 360 design-- hot and delicious!

That is a bit harsh :)

After I sold my Modena, I looked hard at the 430, I love the performance numbers and tech in it, even though I do not go over 70 MPH :) The price difference between the 360 and 430 was about $20k at the time. I loved the aggressive front end, the lines there are ferocious and beautiful at the same time, as I moved towards the back, the car suddenly had angular lines, it just did not make sense to my personal sense of taste. I was thinking WTF, did two people design the car and meet in the middle? If the 430 would have kept the gorgeous rounded lines on the side air intakes, I probably would have purchased one. Instead, I picked up a 360 again.[/QUOTE]

TONY:
    Not trying to be harsh and didn't intend to offend. Looks like we kind of agree with one another. I am a designer and I look at the previous 355 and then the new (at the time) 360 and wow, what an evolution in design. Looking at the 430 and the previous designed 360--- not too much different other than the incorporation of the angular design features (we both seem to agree just didn't have the "payoff") and the interior was not much improved either. Not to disparage anyone's own opinion, just my .02. Look at the 430 and the subsequent designed 458 and again, wow. The 430 simply comes off to me like a stop gap design-- from a purely design standpoint. The 430 has other improvements mechanically over the 360 to be sure.

Need4Spd, Caphill and Bob in Makiki like this.
  4. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Its strange, nearly every person who I ever talk to about Ferrari's who does not own a 360, much prefers the 430.

5. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    TONY:
    Not trying to be harsh and didn't intend to offend. Looks like we kind of agree with one another. I am a designer and I look at the previous 355 and then the new (at the time) 360 and wow, what an evolution in design. Looking at the 430 and the previous designed 360--- not too much different other than the incorporation of the angular design features (we both seem to agree just didn't have the "payoff") and the interior was not much improved either. Not to disparage anyone's own opinion, just my .02. Look at the 430 and the subsequent designed 458 and again, wow. The 430 simply comes off to me like a stop gap design-- from a purely design standpoint. The 430 has other improvements mechanically over the 360 to be sure.[/QUOTE]

No worries, you did not offend, we are in complete agreement about the design. Performance wise, the 430 is a huge improvement over the 360, as expected. I thought the 360 was the best looking Ferrari ever, until Ray Johns drove his 458 to my house :)

6. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    Everyone has different taste.

For me - the designer of the F430 explained it very well
    " always felt the 360 was baked in the owen a bit to long"

I think the F430 has the edge of looks comparing thm both. But I like the 360 also of course.

Just my 2 cents..

DeTomasoGTS74, brookliner7 and tonyc like this.
  7. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    I think because the 430 looks newer. However the 360 is a more classic design. With Ferrari design returning to curves (296 GTB) I think people will start to look with fresh eyes at the 360 and appreciate it more.

8. Mbelliss12

Mbelliss12 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mark Bellissimo
    Owned 9 vettes before getting my 360 spider. When the c8 came out, I was convinced I had to have one. Then, I spent time in one. Nice, but even in 3LT trim, not in the same league materials and paint wise. Still, I have a lot of admiration for them, but I’ve personally moved on…

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bob in Makiki and EastMemphis like this.
  9. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Have you seen the 348 and 355? How about the 458 and 488? These are all design evolutions no different than the 430 is to the 360.

Calling the 430 a stop gap design would be no different than calling the 488 a stop gap between the 458 and the F8.

The 430 was not a way of Ferrari dealing with a problem, it was a massive performance upgrade to an existing model no different than what it always does (its also why the interior looks similar and is “not much improved either).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I was never impressed with the appearance of the 458. When it was initially released I thought it was ugly (relative to its predecessors) and still do. I was always a F430 guy growing up but some shades look spectacular in the 360. I think both 360/F430 are the best looking V8 cars Ferrari has put out. 360 looks better in Silver, Grey, Metallic colors, F430 looks better in Red/Yellow. The 360 needs a metallic color to show off the very faint angles that it has, F430 has sharper angles so it does better in a bright "flat" color like red or yellow.

EastMemphis and CoreyNJ like this.
  11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Good example: (gated 360 in Azzurro California / Crema)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Exactly, You cannot see that line that runs down the side of the car on a red 360. It muddies the lines up

KC360 FL and EastMemphis like this.