High flow Cats vs straight pipe on 458 | FerrariChat

High flow Cats vs straight pipe on 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BradQ, Sep 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BradQ

BradQ Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brad Qashou
    #1 BradQ, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    I recently installed an IPE F1 titanium on my 458 and kept the original catalyst, the sound is amazing but now interested in increasing the tone and intensity of the sound and downshift. My only concern with straight pipe is I heard the car and surrounding will smell bad. Can anybody share his experience with that? I am aware of the CEL and needs for ecu.
    Also, how does the Sound of highflow Cats 200 cell or 100 cell compare to going with straight pipe? Is the sound of high flow significantly less loud or close enough?

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Don't straight pipe it.

The car gets much more raspy sounding and unrefined.

Plus you will smell like exhaust where we you go... Your garage will smell like exhaust.

Leave the factory cats or do high flows.

docf, 250boano and RossoCorsaItaly like this.
  3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I do straight pipes on all my cars

I've lost many girlfriends due to the smells

Cest le vie

deli333, Eric C and technom3 like this.
  4. BradQ

BradQ Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brad Qashou
    What kind of car was it? Does it smell even when you drive it or just when idle?

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    ISF, RCF, FF, C63, list goes on...

The IS-F smelled with windows open when I drove, the rest only smelled at idle (especially inside a parking garage)

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’ve done hi flo cats and decat on a few cars.
    My current Speciale has IPE decat/exhaust. I do not smell any gas unless behind the car. TechnoM3 is correct, it has a slight rasp but still high pitch. Because of this, I’m putting headers on it to clean up the pitch and rasp. Picking it up this weekend and will shoot some vids.
    My old Speciale had full IPE headers/decat/exhaust and sounded perfect to me, high clean pitch and no rasp.
    My FF has Kline hi flo cats and Novitec X pipe and exhaust. Very high pitch.
    My MurcieSV is straight piped, I don’t smell gas from the cockpit and it shoots flames.
    I am going to decat/exhaust my SA next.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

technom3, Boomhauer and halr75 like this.
  7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Do straight pipes cause a CEL on the 458 and how do you prevent the CEL?

How does the 458 sound with straight pipes and STOCK headers and exhaust?

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Current 458S has IPE straight pipe and exhaust - I have a tune so no CEL.
    Without tune, I used to get occasional CEL every 100 miles or so and clear it with an OBD scanner.
    I do this with my MurcieSV intermittent CEL.

I would imagine that decat with stock headers and stock exhaust would be loud but not as high pitched and slight rasp. Do the exhaust with it to clean it up.
    Ideal is full headers back for perfect pitch and tone.
    Vids to come this weekend

9. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thank you sir. Only reason I’m considering straight decat only is because I’ll be doing the install myself and have no ability to access a lift to install an exhaust or headers…but decat pipes are easy!

If I go with 200 cell cats ONLY with OEM headers and exhaust, would the sound maintain the high pitch but with less rasp and increased volume?

10. BradQ

BradQ Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brad Qashou
    thanks for your reply, just curious if you think the sound high flow cats with IPE is close to straight piped IPE especially the downshift sound?
    Why did you get rid of the first speciale?

11. BradQ

BradQ Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brad Qashou

thanks for your reply, just curious if you think the sound high flow cats with IPE is close to straight piped IPE especially the downshift sound?
    Why did you get rid of the first speciale?

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    If you only change the cats, you’ll get increase in volume but the pitch and tone will not change much…need to change the back box for the right tone/pitch.
    Not worth it IMO.

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s a tough one… I’d say short answer
    Is yes. My buddy has IPE hi flow cats with titanium exhaust and it sounds wonderful. My setup with IPE decat/exhaust is just a bit louder with some slight pops, and very slight rasp.
    Therefore, I added the headers to clean up the rasp, which it did. and increase volume, which it did.

I traded my first S for a TDF. Really missed the nimble V8, so picked one back up.

Oops I did it again…Speciale #2
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=9080&share_tid=646146&url=https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/Oops-I-did-it-again%E2%80%A6Speciale-%232.646146/&share_type=t&link_source=app

14. BradQ

BradQ Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brad Qashou
    That is a beautiful Speciale and amazing sound I actually seen this video before on YouTube when I was looking for a good exhaust. I doubt the 458 spider with decatted IPE exhaust will sound as good as a speciale though.

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thank you!
    Actually my friend’s 458 with IPE hi flo cats/exhaust sounds wonderful!

16. Volpini

Volpini Rookie

Nov 19, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dan Volpini
    What did you end up going with? I'm in the same boat you were when it comes to the race cats

17. 250boano

250boano Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2022
    Europe
    Full Name:
    DD
    Installing downpipes of any kind will overwhelm the original silencer. The silencer is sonically tuned to handle a specific soundwave and augment it accordingly. By changing the in-flow you put this out of whack.

You need to change the silencer for something designed to handle the high flow gas from downpipes: Novitec, Kline, Fabspeed - take your pick, although Novitec is the best to my ear. Try to avoid the Far Eastern stuff if you can i.e Armytrix, iPE, Fi etc. Their stuff is ok, but it's not the same quality as the German/Italian/American stuff, and the aftersales support can leave something to be desired if things go wrong and you need manufacturer support.

As a rule:

- Cat replacement pipes: super loud, lots of fuel smell, turns the car into a special occasion car ONLY. You will think twice every time you want to take it out. Also loses the high end howl at the cost of volume. You lose scavenging efficiency by reducing the backpressure too much, so be prepared for a loss of torque in exchange for an increase in top end power...but you notice the loss of torque much more than the HP gain.

- 100-cell cats: This is the sweet spot, big increase over standard without being stupid. Maintains a crisp, high end pitch. Worth mentioning, cold starts are still pretty fruity so watch for that, not extraordinary but still fairly loud.

- 200-cell cats: Almost identical sound to 100-cell but significantly quieter. Good option for those who want more volume but really need to keep it in check.

As for CELs

Cat replacement pipes and 100-cell cats will cause CELs 100% of the time.

200-cell cats won't cause a CEL right away (usually), but over time as the cats lose efficiency a CEL will be triggered and will require management.

You will either need to have the car tuned, or install an OBD Device like Novitec's Tectronic or Capristo's OBD Wizard. These units stay plugged into the OBD port, scan for catalyst inefficiency P-Codes and clear them down so no CEL displays on the dash. All other Warning light functions are retained, so anything OTHER issues you have (cats too hot etc) will still display.

Hope that helps.

18. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    just get some glass packs

19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Do you have a video of how it currently sounds? I'm always intrigued by those that feel the need for more sound out of our 458s. I simply have a valve controller and when it's open, everybody asks me if I have an aftermarket system.

20. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    By having a valve controller, you too feel the need for more sound out of the 458, no?

21. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    No, just more of the sound a stock 458 is capable of! Hey to each his own bro, not knocking you. Do you have a vid of your current system?

22. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    Larini 200 cel in my Speciale and valve controller with standard silencer; the older cats get, the deeper sound comes.. fantastic setup