991.2 GT3RS vs 488/F8 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

991.2 GT3RS vs 488/F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Fang911, Sep 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That’s shocking. Strange track where a SF90 beats a Senna by TWICE as much as the Senna beats a GT2 RS. I really liked the styling of the SF90, but I passed on my allocation. I’m just more of an ICE guy. I just get with the concept of electrified cars. I know the SF90 has otherworldly performance, but for my use case (empty 2 lane country roads, no track days), I just don’t anything more than what I already got. Once I get my STO, I plan on adding a 992 GT3, and plus a Singer Porsche, and then I’ll basically be done.

2. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    The closest thing to a GT3RS with 488/F8 power is a Porsche GT2RS.

3. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    Just got back from the driving the F8 Tributo at Continental Autosports...what a phenomenal machine. Although I did not push it past 4-5K RPM, the Pista engine is heroic without perceptible turbo lag and with an endless reservoir of instantaneous power- far beyond what is needed to enjoy the car day to day. The steering is a revelation- faster and with more feedback than I recall in the 488 and certainly when compared to the 458 Italia. Seating position in the racing seats at the lowest position is absolutely perfect. The suspension / ride even in "sport" is very comfortable and filters out harshness without loss of information. The exhaust may not be as tuneful and sonorous as the Speciale but still sounds great. In manual mode the shifts are lightning fast but surprisingly upshifts early and often in auto even in "race" mode- very conservative programming.

It is every bit as good / better than I expected and can easily be daily driven; ultimately the F8 / Speciale / Pista would be perfect companions to a manual GT3. The 991.2 RS is not "better" or "worse" than the F8- just different. The RS is more mechanical, more frenetic, more immediate, twitchier and harsher than the F-cars- probably not suitable as a daily / frequent driver for most while the F8 will have broader allure given it's somewhat more relaxed nature- as xBox stated above- "you gain comfort, daily usability, turbo-power and the 'Ferrari ingredient', which really makes the car focused and capable when you want it to be...while the RS is somewhat of a one trick pony".

AD211 and xBox like this.
  4. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    So many fabulous machines, so much fun dissecting the pleasures they offer ……

5. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Such different cars. You won't get that raw visceral feeling of a GT3RS in a 488/F8. The Pista is close, but just short. Having owned a GT3 and GT3RS, they just feel very different. The Ferrari's are much more comfortable and compliant while being very capable. I think the ideal scenario is to have both. lol.

ScrappyB, Gh21631 and Thecadster like this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’m currently on a tour of Spain/Portugal with a friend in a 675 and about 12 others joining on Monday. I have toured many wonderful cars. The SF90 is another level of fast. It simply walks away from the 675, something that you need a lot of performance for on the road. The SF90 has it, not just in the drivetrain but the manner of delivery, the handling and the braking. I can’t get close to WOT and the SF90 already deals with the 675 easily. It is sensationally fast and good to drive too. Truthfully it is probably too fast, you can’t use all the speed often at all but even at 6/10ths the pick up is absolutely instant, the turn-in razor sharp (we have the AF pack) and the braking well able to cope. I’m having to really concentrate because getting lazy is not really an option with this car. Don’t know which version you have but I wonder if the standard car wouldn’t be a better choice for a roadtrip, some of the Spanish backroads are very poor and the AF is very stiffly sprung with no lift - I’ve had a couple of scrapes underneath already. Still, if you have an SF90 coming, I think that puts you in a very privileged category. Hope you enjoy it.

Ash Patel likes this.
  7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    We’ve had all those, the GT2 RS is not like any of them. Really quite different to GT3 RS, surprising how much different.

8. Pure745

Pure745 Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Hi Fang - good seeing you on here, I saw your posts on Rennlist as I have recently debated a GT3RS vs. in my case, a 458 and ended up securing a 458 for a number of reasons. In my hunt I considered Ferrari and McLaren vs. the GT3RS and have come to the conclusion that nothing compares directly to the GT3RS.. it is that good for what it is. That said, I would choose all of the cars you listed over it and the end goal would be to have whichever car you choose PLUS the GT3RS. As a few others have said, the Speciale would be the closest because I think the fact that the RS is naturally aspirated plays a huge part in the car's character - and I would choose the Speciale over it easily. Add to that, in my search, the GT3RS is now ~$240K+ for a used good spec, it puts it up into the range of a LOT of seriously amazing cars that were more special to me than the 991.

I don't think you can lose either way.

9. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    Same to you, I saw your thread "RS vs 458" on Rennlist from August which generated a lot of good responses and some sweet glamour shots- and congrats on the 458! IMO, it's not a slam dunk in either direction- there is something about the Ferrari that is unquantifiable- the iconic lines, interior design, mystique, history, customization- which I'm trying to "eliminate" from the decision making process- and consider only the driving experience for pure street driving on good roads 2-3x/wk in the Chicagoland summer. If there was some way to drive the cars in a "blinded" way, haha, but I guess that doesn't really make sense either because the looks, design, marque are equally important in buying a car like this. I just don't want the prospect aka childhood dream of owning a Ferrari to cloud my judgement and override all other considerations.

A related example would be if the Corvette or Mustang drove (almost) as well as the GT3 for $100K less...its hard to admit but if I could afford it comfortably, I'd still plunk down the extra $ for the Porsche which I guess would be for the looks, history, rarity, design, and uh, a small measure of brand snobbery. In this instance, the F8 is 100K more than the 991.2 3RS which is worth the delta (imo)- but only if the F-car is equal or superior to the RS for my driving habits / purposes- which is not easy to define as they have very different personalities :<

Pure745 likes this.
  10. Pure745

Pure745 Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Surprisingly mature discussion in that thread with more support for the 458 than I thought. I think the part of your journey that will lead you to your choice is the "unquantifiable" aspects of either car. The RS blew my mind driving it, but I'm also coming from a 911 so I felt right at home driving it but also knew that I would have to push it hard on the street to get that sort of feedback and would need to get it on track for it to stretch it's legs vs. the 600LT or 458 in my case, just starting the car and pushing it around town gets the heart rate going. Not to minimize the 911 at all.. but when I looked at the 3RS in the $240-70 range for a .2 used with Weissach Package, the car overall was very similar to other 911's and especially your GT3 you've already had. In that same range, I was finding cars MUCH more exciting to me and more special. In my search there were ~325 GT3 variants for sale vs. ~55 458's at any given time (last 3 months) and with the 992 hitting dealers, the value didn't make sense to me as it did when the loaded WP .2's were $200ish.

I think you're doing the right thing, go see them and drive them in person - I did this and ultimately the 458 and Ferrari became a no brainer. I am a Porsche guy and I will be back, but not right now :). My 458 is in PPI week after next and then I should have it in my hands shortly thereafter, I can't wait. My vote for you would be the Speciale :) Actually, that's my vote for me too haha!

11. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I ordered mine without the AF package. I wanted the front lift as well as bumpy road mode. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

Lukeylikey likes this.
  12. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    My F8 really comes alive over 5K RPM. Next time you drive one, you really have to rev it up.

13. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    Great discussion here. I was in a similar boat where i wanted a .2gt3rs but with prices in mid 200s for a WP i have decided to wait. I had the opportunity to drive one two years ago and i fell in love with the motor and the grip and rawness of the car. I now have a 458 that i picked up recently and today i drove the f8 tributo back 2 back with my Italia on the same roads. It gave me the clarity i was looking for between the two cars. They are very different cars and both are great. It comes down to what one is looking for. If its speed and getting thrown back in the seat, f8 wins hands down. F8 is also a bit sharper than the Italia. Lot more power and torque and is impressive how it puts all that power down. F8 has a less stiff ride than the Italia (both were driven in race mode and also bumpy road mode was compared). The bumpy road mode makes a bigger difference in the 458 as it rides stiffer than the f8 in race mode. Brakes felt the same in both. Also both were redlined and from a theatrics perspective, it is hard to beat the 458 with its 9000 scream and the boominess in the cabin in race mode. I also felt the smack on the upshifts is a tad bit more on the 458 but we are splitting hairs. The Italia to me just feels more raw, visceral than the f8 and it is due to the sound. F8 is a great car for what it is and it gives a different experience. I got out of the 458 with an adrenaline rush, wanting to redline it more often or wanting to downshift more often to hear the impressive pairing of the drivetrain to an amazing NA motor, while i got out of the f8 thinking they have managed fo make the car sharper and crazy fast (but well controlled). If i could have both i would, if i had to chose 1, it would be the 458. I cant even imagine what a speciale feels like. Maybe one day i can have that in the garage along with a .2gt3rs. I did not compare my experience with the gt3rs as it is dated but what i do remember that after driving it all i knew was that i need one in the garage. Good luck with your search.

Thecadster likes this.