355 - any F355 owners with 911 GT3 experience? | FerrariChat

355 any F355 owners with 911 GT3 experience?

Discussion in '348/355' started by michaelz, Oct 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Hello!

Left field question, hoping to hear any feedback from a fellow 355 owner if you've driven or own a 911 GT3, any generation please do share your thoughts. I'm not a Pcar guy but recently, I find myself really wanting a GT3 or GT3 RS. Sadly to make it happen quickly, I would have to sell a car not only for extra funds but to clear a garage spot.

I know that is jumping straight to the purist modern 911 experience, I did try to break into Porsche ownership softly by test driving a 996 C2 with LSD option and aftermarket short shifter. Originally planned to use that car as a daily driver but I found it too "sanitized" and left me feeling cold after a lengthy test drive.

A 355 owner who's experienced both would probably have the best perspective as to whether I'm insane or not for wanting a GT3, specifically I'm looking at a 991 generation PDK car because they're the most easily accessible ones in my little corner of the world.

I am open to selling my F355, for reference it's a non airbag 2.7 gated GTB, in terms of feel it's raw and exciting but in that old school way. How would a newer GT3 would stack up in terms of excitement and driving feel? It's hard to find anyone locally who will let me have a go at their car to satisfy my curiosity.

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    A 997 GT3 is a phenomenal car that still has an analogue, raw feel. It also has an engine that like the 355 revs to the stratosphere. The 991 generation GT3's are also phenomenal but the performance envelope has shifted so dramatically that IMHO it is hard to enjoy these cars in street driving. A plain-jane 991S goes around the Nurburgring faster than a 997 GT3. That should give you a sense of things. If you want street driving excitement the early GT3 is what you want. If you want lap time bragging rights, go with a PDK GT3. And in my experience the PDK was no substitute for a proper manual. It's gee-whiz cool for the first month you own the car and then you realize that you bought an automatic...

I was (and still am) a Porsche guy for 20 years, but the 355 is a different experience and cannot be replaced by a 911 of any variety.

Duuc, willrace, Yassa and 4 others like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    They tend to be on the harsh side for street driving, and depending on what seats you get can be a PITA getting in and out. And there is no such thing as a relaxing drive, it wants to run hard all the time.

Great cars though, but I would skip the .1 version because of the flawed engine design. They extended the warranty to 10 years on that but on early cars that will start having an effect on value in the next year or two.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This was only on the 991.1 3's. The finger-follower issue is well known and long since solved, there will be no affect on values. It wasn't a "flawed engine design" it was a surface defect on some of the finger followers that have all now been replaced with no more problems.

5. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
  6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I just traded my 997.1 GT3 and kind of regret it, but the deal was too good to pass up for the trade.

I plan on buying another one at some point...maybe something a little more special like a 997.1 GT3 RS Clubsport.

That said, if the aforementioned trade was for my F355...I would've told the buyer to pound sand. :D

Both are special cars...the 355 is probably harder to find in a nice spec.

WATSON, Yassa and michaelz like this.
  7. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Where and how are you driving the vehicles?

I've been tracking the F355 recently and at Sonoma the guys in my group in a GT3RS are running a 12 second faster lap with much higher confidence, regular GT3's are running 7-8 seconds faster. If you're doing it for track days, the GT3 is a pretty good choice.

On road, the question to me is if you're going to push the cars. The GT3 is immensely capable. You're going to need to push it much faster than a 355 to get the same enjoyment factor (at least to me). I kinda prefer the soft / plush (per today's standards) 355 for road driving up to 75% of the car's limit. Past that, I'd prefer being in a GT3.

montegoblue and WATSON like this.
  8. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    GT3 needs to be pushed hard to feel alive. It’s also a much harsher ride. Definitely not a weekend cruiser.

That being said, it's a beast if you're going to drive it the way it was intended.

9. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    I haven't tracked in a long time, 10 years ago I did a bit of everything when I had the time, drift, drag, circuit. It would also explain the fleet of cars I'm currently keeping. A problem has weirdly crept up on me and most of my old modified street cars that would occasionally get used on the track have suddenly become modern classics, parts no longer available off the shelf and my insurance going up annually. Slowly but surely I am selling the cars I no longer use.

F355 is the odd one in the bunch. I purchased this car purely because it was my childhood dream car. I never intended to use it on a track or mess with it by slowly adding Challenge parts since that's not this car's mission.

While I may not track anymore, I do appreciate cars that communicate exactly where their limits are. It makes a difference even on the street because you get a real sense of confidence in how it's going to react in most situations be it in the dry, wet, in a slide, under heavy braking etc. That's what really got me thinking about a GT3.

In saying so, I'll keep my eyes open for a test drive opportunity but do have some reservations about the 991's electric steering.

ruey220 likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What’s the speed limit in Melbourne and how restrictive are the cameras?

11. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    A valid question, maybe 10MPH lower on average than CA?. Fixed cameras are listed publicly. Mobile cameras can be spotted a mile away. Undercover units and highway patrol don't waste their time around slow corners, they're at the end of long straights.

It mostly comes down to being sensible when using your vehicle.

12. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I think it’s hard to paint the 991 GT3 range with a broad brush. Big differences in usability between a GT3RS, a GT3, and a GT3 Touring. These differences are magnified more depending on which seats are in the car and which gearbox (RS is PDK only). Pros and Cons to each model and each seat/gearbox.

I’ve had a 355 and I will say that my 991.1 RS is more comfortable for cruising than the 355 - the 991 GT3 range is quite remarkable for its flexibility.

There has to be someone with a GT3 near you where you can at a minimum get a ride. That’s the best way to advance the decision that’s best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConT and michaelz like this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I owned two 355 and a 996Gt3. The GT3 is too harsh for the street and the 355 is too soft for the track.

14. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Just like you, I used to do a fair amount of track driving. I had a 991S and found the electric steering to be awful -- the steering wheel felt transparently like it was not connected to anything real, just a potentiometer. I did a couple of track events with it as well, and like all the newer cars it does *not* communicate exactly where its limits are. It has a bunch of nannies that conceal your mistakes and give you a false sense of competence. We had a problem several years ago with guys bringing the new 911's and M3's etc to the track, advancing up the run groups until they were going quite fast, and too much of their "progress" was aided by nannies. What would happen is at some point they'd make a mistake too big for the nannies to correct, and fly into a tire wall. Give me an older analogue car on the street or track. At least it's honest driving.

bradyward, michaelz and MAD828 like this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #15 Shark01, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    That is not true at all....was just on Rennlist and they were discussing it. And it will sure as hell have a huge effect as that 10 year warranty expires. Guys are blowing engines all the time.

And it IS a flawed engine design....which was promptly changed for the .2

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1238878-would-you-buy-a-991-1-gt3-today.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1271416-2015-gt3-to-buy-or-not-to-buy.html

michaelz likes this.
  16. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Like the 997GT3 but wouldn’t trade either of my f355s or 993s for one. Can’t come terms with the interior materials and cable shifter at that price point. Lots of cheap plastic all over the car as well. Just seems really cheaply made for a $100k plus car. For a track car it wouldn’t matter but I like the other two better for the street.

michaelz likes this.
  17. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Excellent feedback. I rarely find anyone complain about Porsche electric steering in reviews however what you have described exactly matches my experiences too with all the modern cars I've driven or owned. Part of the playfulness of a car is hydraulic steering, it returns to center naturally and the assistance doesn't vary so you know what to expect when trying to recover from a mistake. That's a good enough reason to take a step back, will let this happen naturally than force it. Ideally I'd like to keep the 355 :)

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not a GT3 but had a 997. Much happier to be back in a 993 as well (along with the F355 of course)

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    When I was in Brisbane a few years back, my buddy drove me around in his Superleggera. With the speed limit, cameras everywhere, it was difficult to get anything meaningful out of it other than a 1-2 sec spurt of acceleration here and there. In that situation, perhaps less power, higher revs, more engagement is a better choice for the road. We have about double the road freedom you have in Australia and even then, I think the 355 does a superb job.

My buddy bought a manual 991.2 GT3 and sold the Superleggera. He tracks it often, but I haven’t chatted with him regarding how much he can let it open for the road. At the very least, the manual should make it more engaging.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That is surprising to hear, I thought at this point in Australia all forms of fun and freedom had been banned.

JohnnyTT likes this.
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Not in Brisbane lol.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  22. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I own a 1998 F1 355 spider and also bought a 2007 997.1 manual GT3 two years ago.

Two completely different cars.... I could go on and on regarding the differences, but for the sake of brevity:

Want to go fast? Drive the GT3
    Want to turn heads? Drive the 355

Jakuzzi and michaelz like this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would argue there is more similarity and only a few contrasts. I had a 2015 991 GT3 and have a 1999 355 now. There is a 15 year difference, but the 355's are before Ferrari started going softer, so the GT3's are still built a little sportier like all Ferraris use to be built.

They can both be a little stiff around town, neither of them understeer, naturally aspirated, and similar power outputs.

The Porsche will have perfect quality to the point of being bland, where the 355 has "personality" with so many quirks. The 355 is one of the best sounding cars in HISTORY! The Porsche to me is one of the least sounding sports cars, but the SharkWerkz exhaust was pretty good.

To me the 355 wins over because of rarity and best sound and driving "experience". The GT3 you will hardly ever be noticed, the 355 will be noticed so much it might make you uncomfortable.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

john a barnes, michaelz and MAD828 like this.
  24. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Horses for courses.... meaning these cars are made for different environments. The GT3 is a racer - which I've tracked for several years in the North East (Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Tremblant...). The 355 sounds like a racer but isn't.

Now to your question on should I buy a GT3 over my 355 3-pedal GTB- answer is NO. My opinion but I feel that F355 will have their day coming soon while Porsche and GT3's are already there in terms of price and demand. Also if you don't routinely enjoy the weekend DE or Autocross, then definitely keep the 355.

Rick Weston and michaelz like this.
  25. TTEC

TTEC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Terry Tecco

Attached Files:

GTO Joe likes this.