RIP Doug Freedman | FerrariChat

RIP Doug Freedman

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Terra, Oct 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    BREAKING NEWS FROM THE CARMEL PINE CONE

October 4, 2021, 5:10 p.m.

DOUG FREEDMAN, FOUNDER OF CONCOURS ON THE AVENUE, DEAD AT 72

Dear Readers,

Doug Freedman, who founded the Carmel-by-the-Sea Concours on the Avenue with wife Genie in 2007 and made the town a Car Week destination in the process, died of a heart attack over the weekend at the age of 72.

The Atlanta, Ga., resident dreamed of presenting a downtown celebration of cars since the couple's first visit here in 1987, and their tenacity and dedication led to its launch and helped turn it into one of Car Week's most popular events.

The Freedmans made the Cypress Inn their home base for several weeks each year to organize and present the Concours on the Avenue, which has raised more than $450,000 for The Carmel Foundation, a nonprofit serving members age 55 and older.

We will have more information about Mr. Freedman's life and his passing in this week's Pine Cone. And we will continue to update you whenever there are important developments.

Paul Miller, Publisher
    [email protected]

375+ and jpalmito like this.
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  3. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Very sad, such a nice guy and he put together one of the coolest events on car week

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Doug was a very quiet, discreet and friendly man. A true enthusiast.
    In the late 1980s he had traded his extensive Ferrari literature collection to Jacques Swaters/Garage Francorchamps in Brussels, Belgium, and received an F40 for this.

RIP.

Marcel Massini

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very sad news. I met Doug only once when he sought me out at the Cavallino Classic years ago, Keith Bluemel introduced us, Doug wanted to start a magazine focused on Concours and asked me if I was interested in being the editor, I was flattered but am a track person far more than into Concours so I declined. He was very gracious. Not sure if his plans went ahead. I gather he did a lot for the Ferrari community in the US via the club. RIP.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Doug was a former President of the Ferrari Club of America and also a Concours Judge at many shows.

Marcel Massini

crinoid, 375+ and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Shocked, another good friend gone. Doug entrusted me to help restore his 250 GT Cabriolet in the 1980s and Genie, Sue and I became good friends. He was a true enthusiast and spent a year or so working at Garage Francorchamps to organize and catalog Swaters document collection.

8. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    Doug also organized the National Meet in Atlanta in 1999. Some believe this was one of the best National Meets ever staged. True or not, Doug loved the club and was tireless in his support. Doug's F40 lives on at Ferrari of Atlanta as part of the Wettach family collection.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    One of my favorite memories of Doug is tied to his inaugural Carmel-by-the-Sea Concours on the Avenue:
    It was quite amazing how by Tuesday (day of the show), he seemed to have somehow memorized every entrants (or presenters) face & first name that even if you weren’t near your car and just briefly came across him in the midst of crowded show or in the busy dining room reserved for (absolutely amazing) complimentary breakfast/lunch/dinner for all, he would immediately acknowledge/greet each and everyone by their (first) name.
    Even if you've never met him before, it made one feel like you've been friends for ages.

10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    100% agree. I attended that 1999 FCA National Meet.

Lanikai likes this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Very sad & shocked. Doug was a long time friend, and of course a great enthusiast. :( RIP

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I did not know him but based on the comments here I wish I had.

Condolences to his many friends.

Bryanp likes this.
  14. 166MM alum

166MM alum Rookie

Jul 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Darrell Westfaul
    Doug was an amazing guy and a fantastic organizer. Whatever he did, it was first class and done to perfection. I worked with/for him at the 1989 FCA National Meet in Atlanta and he actively supported my events when I was active in the Southeast Region. He and Genie were a great couple and I am sorry for her loss. We have all lost a good friend.

15. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Doug was an excellent organizer, and promoter. Lots of class, and lots of fun. Hopefully his Concours on the Avenue in Carmel can continue in his memory.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Perhaps rename it to Paul Freedman Concours on the Avenue Carmel. Might be very fitting. Or have the main trophy after him.

Perry

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Great idea.

Nembo1777, Bryanp and enio45 like this.
  18. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    I was very fortunate to be out there in 2013, and went to the Carmel Concours. It was fantastic. I never get to see the cars many of you see, or even actually own, in person. I also got to the Historics at Laguna Seca. I want to try and get there again someday. Goodwood is on the bucket list, but that may not happen.

Perry

19. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I just stumbled upon this thread and was shocked to hear about Doug's passing. I recall several conversations I had with him in the mid-90s at FCA Southeast events including one humorous story about his visit to the Ferrari Factory in the early 80s. During the tour, he saw a lightly disguised Testarossa and snapped several shots of it. When he got back to Atlanta, he sent the photos to Gerald Roush who printed them in the Ferrari Market Letter under the headline "Is this the new 512 BB?" Apparently, Enzo himself was not pleased with the early spy photos leaked by Doug and he got in some hot water for it. He didn't laugh when it happened but he laughed when he told me the story. Doug will definitely be missed!

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Doug, Keith Bluemel and I were one of the judging teams at the Ferrari 70th in Maranello. It was a fun and educational day. Doug was the poster boy for the Southern Gentleman.

Jack-the-lad and Texas Forever like this.