Dino 206 #0184 | FerrariChat

Dino 206 #0184

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Oct 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    The dino is my favorite cars in all their varieties. The 206 probably is my favorite and still kick myself for the one I restored and sold. I wanted to get another one but the prices are way up there. I bid on the Verde Scuro car at the Gooding auction in the UK but went way above what I was willing to pay. Yesterday morning I got a email from a guy who was considering restoring his 206. After talking with him he figured it was best to sell. We made a deal and I picked it up 24 hours later!!! The best thing about this car was its original configuration. It was Dino Blu Mettallizzato with beige interior with YELLOW CLOTH INSERTS!!!!!!!! The car is very low mileage with 29,000KM about 14,000 miles. All the impossible items to get are there, ash tray, shift knob, seat belts, fuel cap and wipers. I need wood steering wheels, books and tools. The car has wrong tires, wrong exhaust, wrong interior materials, clock, amp guage and parts in the engine compartment are gloss black. Also horsie on back and ferrari logo. The Dino spent its entire life in Venezuela except for the last 3 years where it's been in the current owners den!! There is an interesting story about the original owner and why it left Venezuela I will be the third registered owner and first in USA. I won't be starting restoration anytime soon as my plate is full so I'll get some driving in. If anyone can help with steering wheel, books and tools let me know. Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

franmort, FF4X4, NoGoSlow and 6 others like this.
  2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    What a nice catch. Congratulations! Finding all books and tools might be challenging but I cross my fingers for your luck.

best, Peter

3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    great stuff, love to see the car back in it`s original configuration.....

4. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    "At the beginning of 1970, Commendatore Enzo Ferrari and his creative group decided to launch the Dino 206, GT and GTS project, which were the only cars of the Dino series that were not destined for racing, and in them was expressed the desire of the Commendatore to pay a tribute to his recently deceased son, Dino Ferrari Garello. The first batch of them was addressed to the official mechanics of the brand who were scattered throughout the main capitals of the world, and there was a decision to give each one of them one of these well made Ferraris, and to receive as payment the vehicle they used daily. The one designated to Venezuela went to the master Felix Varona, that simple and noble gentleman who gave his life to this brand, getting to know them so intimately, that there was no aspect of their operation for which Felix did not have the most immediate solution."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F40org, NoGoSlow, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  5. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Matthias what does the letter from Ferrari say. It’s too small to read.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The interior (seats) looks to be black when you enlarge the photo. It also has SF shields on the wings, possibly put there by Sr Varona?

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    headrest and upper rear wall was always black vinyl with the 206 GT`s .....

but also possible they changed interior colour early in live....

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    F40org, NoGoSlow and ingegnere like this.
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Jon,

Congratulations!! What a great find! Great original color!

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The correct serial number is 00184.
    This pic shows the engine number.
    Car has been on the market since January 2018 when it was for sale on eBay by Clean Classic Cars of Sarasota/FL, described as rosso dino with black interior and 29'037 kms, asking price US$ 750'000.
    00184 was then for sale at the Worldwide Auction in Scottsdale/AZ, Lot #42, on 16 January 2019, estimated price US$ 525'000 to US$ 625'000.
    The factory certificate of origin was issued 7 October 1968.
    It was delivered new to Ferrari dealer Carlos Kauffmann C.A. in Caracas, Venezuela, on the 13 November 1968.
    Kauffmann sold it to first owner Josefo Burguillos Felix de Varona in Caracas with invoice #223/71 on the 10th September 1969. In 1984 it was sold to USA to the second owner who kept it for the next 34 years.
    Original exterior color: Blu Dino Metallizzato 106-A-72.
    Original interior color: Beige 430, Panno Giallo (yellow cloth centre part of seats).
    Chassis type 607.
    Engine type 135 B, internal #45 (FIAT #000.4474).
    Gearbox type 607, internal #44.
    Scaglietti ALLOY Body #39 D.

Marcel Massini

Eltel246, NoGoSlow and EastMemphis like this.
  11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Hate to burst the bubble, but 29k km is equivalent to a hair over 18k miles, not 14k.

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Your correct! My poor math 6.2 x 30,000 about 18,000 miles

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  15. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I now have the Dino stripped of all the parts except the fiberglass. I'm going to try something different this time. I'm going to the it media blasted with the fiberglass in, may be easier to see the seems and rivets. Then I'll remove the fiberglass and get it media blasted again, then the metal work can begin.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

V12addict likes this.
  16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  17. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Do you take any special measures to deal with galvanic corrosion between the aluminum body and the steel frame, or is it not an issue if everything’s well painted?

mark

18. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    This car doesn't look like it really has any issues compared to last one I worked on. I will be talking to a couple of metal guys who are well versed in aluminum bodied cars to get advice and opinions. The body is riveted on it would be nice to separate it from the frame. Work in progress at this time and I'll see what the media blast uncovers. The blasting place i'm using here in Austin uses ground up plastic to blast with which creates less heat. Important on the aluminum body. As we know they used no rust prevention on these cars and i doubt the frames were painted before attaching the aluminum. This is one of the best 206 bodies I have seen.

375+ and NoGoSlow like this.
  19. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Jon, it will be spectacular when you get done with it— that’s for sure!!!

20. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    NYC Fred likes this.
  21. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Every restoration I’ve done as part of the process I have the switch rebuilt and tested. The wiring is replaced, and anything wrong is corrected. Over the years they seem to get butchered often times replaced with 308 bodies. This is a video of testing the repaired switch with all of its functions from my 206.

rbsloan11, V12addict and GermanDino like this.
  22. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Keep going.
    ( I’m learning a lot,, thank you)

smile,
    Edwardo

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I should get the body back from the media blaster next week. In the meantime I picked up the lids and doors and cleaned up what the media blaster could not get
    like way inside the doors. Took the seats all apart down to the frames so they will be ready for upholstery with new foam and Tan Dino vinyl with tan cloth inserts. I took the dash all apart and rebuilt what was necessary there. Made new door cards, so now all the interior is ready for recovering. Next week we start addressing what metal work is needed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    A few more photos.

Attached Files:

25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed