430 - Oil change every year? | FerrariChat

430 Oil change every year?

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Oct 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    About to do a oil change. Was last done exactly a year ago and 1800 miles ago.

So 1800 miles later….about to do another oil change.

Anyone wait 2 years to do it or everyone does it every year?

Just curious. Have redline synthetic in there right now. Will do LiquiMoly next.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Cheap insurance for what it cost. I do it every 6 months because I'm bored

chenglo1 likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If everytime you drove you brought it up to temp and didn't overheat / or extensively track it ..2 years is a piece of cake

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

chenglo1, ditpixs, Ray Smith and 2 others like this.
  4. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  5. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Every year, even though I’ve been averaging about 1100 miles a year. Along with most of the other fluids. I enjoy doing the annuals and keeping all the fluids fresh. Even if it’s not absolutely required.

chenglo1 and Ray Smith like this.
  6. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

2 years 8 months for me.
    Got caught in the middle of that little pandemic where I didn't go out much. I just got it done last month and my mechanic didn't mention anything about the oil color being anything worrisome. In those two years I think I put on just under 2,000?
    I always wait till the car is at temperature before harassing everyone on the road to move it or lose it
    ;)

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ditpixs likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    For me, even if the miles are low I’m concerned about water (condensation) ingress....so I try to change it once a year.

E60 M5 likes this.
  8. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Since I do it myself, I like to have it on the calendar once a year. Forces me to get under the car and look around for anything else. I tend to save up other maintenance items to do at the same time.

chenglo1 likes this.
  9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Always did annually. Just about to do it soon after 2 years. Not many miles and always up to temp on every drive. Consumption zero and oil is still clean and clear. Might get 2 samples analysed, the old and some brand new to compare the level of additive package missing, if any.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just as a reference point ..i use Blackstone to analyze the oil everytime i change any of my cars including a Hyundai ..and time hardly makes a difference in the report ....that is why I feel very comfortable with 2 years with the following as mentioned by me above ..bring up to temp, no overheating, indoor garage ( if humidity controlled even better)

The TBA is always very high in the lower mileage oil despite time

The metals are also a direct correlation to mileage

The time could go up or down ..so if you drive 5 miles a week vs 5 times a year at 150 miles a pop that would change my time parameters

The fewer times you take her out and drive longer is better for the life of the oil ..

Our engines are pretty sealed from the environment so sitting does usually let any mositure to enter crankcase etc

If you have a very low mileage vehicle it is always good to flush it out the first few times quicker to get the "break-in" metals out

Racedrvr, nessus-gte and ShineKen like this.
  11. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Oil doesn’t go bad over a year…it’s a silly old husband’s tale.
    Change out according to miles and congruent with the conditions used such as racing.

12. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I agree. Plus my old man told me "Oil is cheap, engines are expensive".

On all my Corvettes I changed the oil every 3,000 miles with Mobil-1. My neighbor used to take my old oil and put it in his car since it always looked brand new.

I'm aware of the extended mileage-between-changes claims of Mobil and Pennzoil but prefer to always replace the oil and filter at 3,000 miles. Even though I think Mobil-1 is more than sufficient, I will use the Pennzoil 5W-40 as recommended by Ferrari. The only place I have found locally that carries it (Orange County, CA) is via Amazon at $49 for a case of six quarts (obviously need two) but wish I could source it locally.

I do the work myself.

Ray

13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I do it around christmas time every year....my 360 transaxle "I think" needs it annually. Plus I do radiator and brakes so I throw in the oil. I am sure that the oil is fine....I do 2-4000 a year in miles depending on covid or whatever....

14. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Every year as well as other fluids.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    How many miles would you guestimate is good interval to change?

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #16 flash32, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    There really isn't a magic number because as mentioned it depends on climate, storage conditions, trip duration/ freq, rpm ranges, engine type age

The best way is to run 2500 miles and send a sample (with or without changing) to Blackstone and see how it is doing in your specific situation. You can then.make a scientific determination (after doing it a few times) what is your magic number by looking at TBA and wear metals etc and either running longer or shorter. Of course if it takes you five years to get to 2500 then that wouldn't apply ..

You can have a 2013 viper with sub 5k on odometer (known for heavy metals when newer ) driven for 1 year and at 2000 I would change it based on rpt and then 150000 Santa Fe with 10000 miles oil and still doesn't need to be changed (driving at least 30 miles everytime started )

ShineKen likes this.
  17. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Every 5-7000 miles, drive these cars people, now 86k

brookliner7 and E60 M5 like this.
  18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    This is the only reason Porsche suggests you change your oil yearly should you not do over 10K miles a year. Otherwise the company specifies once every 30K miles (using the specified synthetic). Still I have to say while I don't do 10K miles a year I usually am not changing my oil every year. I chalk it up to taking the car out, driving it like it was intended to be driven, and more than reaching the minimal operating temp.

Maybe someone with more real knowledge on this will debunk my idea that any condensation collected (and I really don't see how) would not be evaporated out of the oil. And certainly seems the engine once parked in the garage is way too hot to collect any condensation. Now if you simply take the car out rarely to putt-putt around to the coffee shop...

EastMemphis likes this.
  19. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    For you who can drive the car year long.... just change on mileage. I need to store mine for about 3 months or more during winter, so I always change the oil after storage.
    But changing the gearbox oil every year is an overkill... that should last at least 30k miles. Same with steering. Now I don't know about the F1 oil, what is the consensus on that one, how often should it be changed?
    Thanks

20. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    1999 360 Modena gated 6 speed.
    My mechanic just changed the fluids after 1500 miles over a 2 year period. Yeah I wish I drove it more. I do drive it monthly at a minimum. Arizona generally dry in summer and winter.
    I know appearance is subjective, but based on what I see every 2-3 years is adequate..... unless you are driving a lot more than I am.
    Transmission oil - every 5 years.
    Coolant - when the engine oil is changed.
    Car has 25K on it and has been totally trouble free.

Attached Files:

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My understanding is that the cats cook the transaxle oil pretty good while running the car. I wouldn't go 5 yrs and don't. I just do mine every year with the oil. cheap insurance & while doing that I always change the coolant. Hopefully no heat exchanger issues either, but that just my 2 cents. I am talking about my 360 btw. Cheers!

22. Kidblast

Kidblast Rookie

Sep 24, 2021
    New york
    Full Name:
    Evan Goldstein
    Motor oil doesn’t degrade over time. Now if the car hasn’t moved for 5 years that’s a different story but assuming your car is being driven from time to time you don’t have to change your oil annually. I would suggest changing it every 2 years assuming like most Ferrari’s that would be no more than 2000miles of driving. What’s critically important is to regularly check your oil level!!!!

9650max likes this.
  23. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good point... hadn't thought about that. Not too costly, although taking the bumper off to get at the screen is kind of a hassle. In terms of preserving the heat exchanger, the coolant change every 2 years should cover that.

24. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    I recall F1 is once every 5 years. Taz???

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Although the 430 doesn't call for a replacement.. the 599 does at 3 years which i think is reasonable and should be applied to all F1 systems

There are dead ends and semi dead end points on the lines which "cook" the fluid