California 30 roof operation | FerrariChat

California 30 roof operation

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Quicksilver66, Oct 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quicksilver66

Quicksilver66 Rookie

Oct 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    #1 Quicksilver66, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Hi

New to this forum - so please go gently !!

I have a 2013 California 30 which I love. However, I would like some advice on the roof operation.

Since I bought the car last year with 18000 miles on the clock, I have had the same issue. When I retract the roof the boot fails to close properly and I have to get out and manually push it shut for the last few centimetres or so.

I have just had the car serviced and HR Owen in London checked this issue for me. The invoice says “carried out and adjusted rear tailgate - roof now operates fine”. When I put this to the test yesterday I found that the issue is still there.

Before going back to HR Owen I wanted to check that the fault was not with me. So I looked in the manual. That says when operating the roof the key should be in position II - which is the ignition position.

I operated the roof with the engine running. The boot lid did not close and the warning message came up on the dash - a manual inspection confirmed this. I repeated a few times with the same result.

I then repeated the operation with the engine switched off and the key in position II. The warning light came up to say the boot was not closed - but a visual inspection showed that it had closed. Switching the ignition off and back on cleared the warning message. I repeated a few times with the same result.

The manual recommends operating the roof with the ignition switched on - but why does it close properly with the ignition switched of, albeit with the warning light still coming on? Could I be doing something wrong? I can’t see what so I guess it’s back to HR Owen.

I never have this problem with my Morgan which has a 1930’s style press stud hood. Far more reliable !

Advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

David.

2. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Maybe a stupid question - do you hold the open/close button until the car tells you that the operation is complete?

3. Quicksilver66

Quicksilver66 Rookie

Oct 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    David

I do - yes. In fact a few seconds until after the audible warning, just to be sure.

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It should work the same whether the engine is running or not ... in fact, probably best to do it with the engine running as it is certainly going to be a drain on the battery -- which is already not one of Ferrari's strong points.

tomc likes this.
  5. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    I had exactly the same problem with my Cali 30 not long after I bought it new. My main dealer adjusted it and it hasn't happened since. I'd suggest HR Owen need to be more thorough in their dealing of problems that you have been charged for.
    I always operate with the engine running as that was how I was demonstrated it at the main dealer where I am.

tomc likes this.
  6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    My original Cali had this issue. Dealer said the lock mechanism wasn’t aligned correctly. They moved it and it worked perfectly thereafter.

The dealer hasn’t aligned it correctly and it is marginally correct. Needs a more robust alignment.

SV

7. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    My Cali 30 had a misaligned latch, which didn't impact the roof but did impact opening/closing the trunk easily. I just loosened the screws on the latch and slid it over slightly (this was the left post on the trunk side of the mechanism). Maybe just visually inspect things and look for obvious rubbing/wear and see if there's an easy adjustment to be made? Otherwise go back to the dealer.

8. Quicksilver66

Quicksilver66 Rookie

Oct 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you all for your suggestions. It does sound like a misaligned latch. But it’s puzzling that it works with the engine off, although I still get the warning light. Very odd. Anyway, HR Owen are going to take it back and have another look. They said it looked fine on their computer analysis - whatever that means. I hope I have not paid for them to put this issue right by simply running a computer check without them doing a thorough visual and manual check on the issue?

9. mrmicks

mrmicks Rookie

May 11, 2016
    I’m so glad I’m not the only person with this problem. For me there is no predicting it, except at the most in opportune moment, as I always operate with the engine on.

Sounds like I’ll be giving the dealer a call on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ours does this intermittently; not sure why. We just live with it and manually close the trunk when needed.