Maserati MC20 | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well at least you didn't say Biturbo ...

Hocakes likes this.
  2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    NO one in the Ferrari universe would even think about how the doors work....

Its realy time that Maserati is treated a little more elitist and not for the usual way to the office, groceries, etc...

As I mentioned before - buy a Levante, Ghibli III or QP if your Maserati should be the daily driver....

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I do. And Ferrari doors open the way they do because they know people prefer them that way.

Yes I may buy one of those. Why can't I question if I can use this more than just a weekend car? I don't understand the hostility. Asking questions isn't permitted?

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I fixed too many. I got some for FREE from some of my customers in the early 90s.

Biturbo: Not a fan
    Quattroporte: Yes a fan!'

Bora: Yes
    Ghibli: Hell yes
    Merak: I prefer not to answer. :)

5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Heyyy...this is a free country and everything can be questioned. But its interesting to see that everything with Maserati will be criticised instead of acepting what it is and - what it meant. And you can drive the hell out of your car(s). I did 29,000 miles in 2 years with my Lamborghini LP400 20 years ago...

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It was just a joke ...

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, some people here somehow think I'm not a Maserati fan. I am, very much so.

8. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Pretty good video of the car, features, the touch screen / NAV, the trunk space, the rear camera. I didn't know it came with power seats.

Seems like the front trunk is not really usable. Its manly for the tool kit and the air pump. Rear trunk seems similar to the Alfa 4c. But the Alfa used some of that space to store the airpump.

You can also see the bare molded CF under the hood and the inside doors.

crinoid likes this.
  10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Bora now seems even more spectacular as a gorgeous, handsomely sexy and amazingly practical mid engine GT. Especially as their first shot at one. Luggage space both front and rear.
    When will it get it's due ?
    The Merak lacks only umph. De Tomaso thought about a turbocharged one but never really seriously went there. A hot v6 turbo in that car might have made for an even better Bora?

am117au likes this.
  11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well said.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I think everyone knows you like Maserati's. But I suppose it would help if you bought one again ... :p ;)
    I still have 3. That's the funny thing ... I never sell ... so far anyway.

wbaeumer likes this.
  13. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I’ve owned a McLaren 650s & currently have a McLaren GT both these cars have dihedral doors, I did 30,000 kms in my 650 & I’m at 7000kms in my GT, neither car has been a pure daily however I drove the 650 a lot around town & never had trouble getting in or out, I typically try to avoid parking lots because of inconsiderate people banging doors & damaging my car, that said I’ve occasionally been forced into car parks & never had an issue any worse than normal hinged long car doors like on my Sebring or other modern sports cars I’ve owned.
    The butterfly doors on MC20 I honestly don’t think will be an issue speaking from my experience with McLaren's, in fact they are easier in & out when you work out the best way to do it for your body type.

Tsachi458 and TheMayor like this.
  14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    words spoken by EVERY longtime Maserati owner! It’s just around the corner of the world’s longest apex, the realist in us deep down feel it probably will never happen.

mullin likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here's a white one that was shown at Cars and Coffee in San Clemente.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm assuming the exhaust noise is from another car nearby?

wbaeumer likes this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There's no one in the Mc20.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I've done some amateur investigation parking next to various other cars and trying to analyze in my head what the butterfly doors might be like on the Mc20 in the "real world". And I'm thinking now the doors in the Mc20 might not be such a big issue unless next to a giant SUV or pick up truck -- and even then only if they park too close.

Part of it is parking in front of the other car's rear view mirror. The doors should clear it as it moves up and FORWARD in a arc. If your mirror is next to their mirror (or more forward in worst case) when the 2 cars are parked next to each other, it should open OK.

The forward movement of the door is the key.

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    We had the first MC20 on a meeting of The German Maserati Club, owned by one of oir members. We had the car on the hotel parking lot next to other Maserati, like Levante, QPs and Ghibli IIs. No issue regarding the doors. Easy to go in and out - and the owner is tall!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, with respect - I strongly suggest NOT to compare the/your Alfa 4C with the MC20. Two totally different cup of coffee, and this on ALL aspects!!!

boralogist likes this.
  21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I was told that a Swiss customer of the MC20 wanted to get the ASAP. Maserati first said "no" but later offered immediate delivery for additional SF 40,000 on top of the sale price for the car. The chap paid.....

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I didn't. I compared my Corvette C8.

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Actually, I would love to see a head to head comparison of the C8 to the MC20. The C8 wins on price being 1/3 that of the MC20. The MC20 naturally wins on exclusivity. On everything else it is rather debatable.

The MC20 is so exclusive that my local Maserati dealer in a major US city (Atlanta) still does not have one to show. I am a long time Maserati supporter but the launch of the MC20 has been rather embarrassing.

I am very glad Maserati created the MC20 and those of us that have supported Maserati for many years want to see the MC20 as a big success.

Ivan

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    In post 634 you clearly mentioned "Alfa 4C".....

25. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Ivan,
    Presently I believe there is only 1 (white) MC20 making the rounds in North America. MNA is in a somewhat transition period, a lot of staff have departed. Covid travel restrictions have prevented Modena personnel from being transferred in to replace Chrysler personnel. Alfa was able to do it faster as their new President was already in USA laying the groundwork for the planned Peugeot return. (Now cancelled)