Gated f430 vs manual gt3 | FerrariChat

Gated f430 vs manual gt3

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ffre92, Oct 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I’m happy with my garage but I’m restless and thinking about trying something new. The universal praise for GT3s is hard to ignore, but don’t know if I’ll regret swapping any of my cars, all of which I’m fairly attached to. For those who had/have both a gated f430 and 6mt 991.2, or lucky enough to have a 6mt 992 gt3, how do they compare?

There was a rennlist thread last year that was pretty biased towards the gt3 (surprise surprise):

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1044320-997-gt3-vs-f430.html

However their responses are largely performance and maintenance based, which is not fair for a 15year age difference. Regardless the limits of both cars are far greater than any road. Track performance and maintenance are less of a concern for me. I want a weekend fun car and fair weather daily driver that feels alive, connected, and raw. The gated f430 really fits this bill (other than the daily driver bit) with an insane rev happy engine, great sound, slick shifter and good steering feel.

I just don’t know if the limits of the gt3 are so high that it may not be as fun as the 430 for street use. I’m hoping the 991/992 has a similar personality, just in a more modern package.

2. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    I can't add anything to the 992 GT3 conversation. However, between a 430 stick and 991 GT3 stick, the GT3 is a "better car". I am a Ferrari guy through and through, and I would rather have a 430 stick every time. I dont care about 0-60 or lap times, or for that matter daily usability. I care about how I feel when I look at it, get sweaty palms when I drive it, and what I see on the roads around me. I love the 991 GT3, it is nearly perfect, but it always feels like a Porsche to me, similar to Boxster Spyders, 911 GTS, or Turbos and all of the other great cars Porsche makes. The 430 on the other hand, is always special and even after driving hundreds of different F cars, still gets me excited (and a little nervous) every time. Nothing compares to a gated mid-engine Ferrari with no electronic guidance. Its a thrill and a skill to master, tame, and appreciate. There will probably be many more GT3s produced, but never another Ferrari 6-speed with a 8,500k redline.

chenglo1 likes this.
  3. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Thanks!! That’s great feedback. For modern porsches, I only have my 981 gts to compare to, and I have a similar sentiment. It’s a near perfect car and every day I drive it I am still surprised how great it is. But I definitely don’t have the quickened pulse that I get when I walk towards the door of the 430, before even starting the engine.

chenglo1 likes this.
  4. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    I recently purchased a Scud and came from a 997.2 GT3 which was setup for track use e.g. monoball suspension bits, 2 way external coilovers, cup car exhaust and 996 cup shifter, upgraded brakes, guard LSD etc. I also have a 73 911 with a hotrod 73 RS engine and a 964 C2, so I'm a Porsche guy who happens to now own a Ferrari.

While my old Gt3 is a bit different than the 991.2 Gt3, perhaps my feedback could be of some help as the 997 generation GT3 is a much more engaging car than the 991.2 Gt3 IMO.

Part of my reason from going from the Gt3 to the scud is the Gt3 was too good for the street. The 7 GT3 is an objectively better car than the Scud IMO. The GT3 was extremely sure footed and precise so much so that it made driving on the street a bit boring. I felt it only really came alive on the race track where it's performance could be exploited. As a result, I found myself reaching for the keys of the aircooled cars over the GT3 these past few years as I decided to take a hiatus from the track due to covid and kids needing more of my attention.

The 991.2 GT3 is leagues ahead of the 7 GT3 in terms of outright performance, but at the same time is super comfortable even at slow speeds thereby allowing it to be daily driven if wanted to. This dual personality made the 991.2 GT3 even more boring to drive on the street for me than my old 7 GT3 since its limits are even higher than the 7 gt3. It was less of an event to drive if you will. Unless you prioritize straight line performance, it really is hard to extract the performance of the 991.2 GT3 on the street other than the occasional WOT pulls on the highway.

In contrast, the 430/scud is a much more emotional driving experience compared to the Gt3 while driving on the street. The sound of the exhaust especially with the S-line Xpipe is insane and it's hard to beat a gated manual. These characteristics of the 430 provide such a unique experience that makes the car fun at slow speeds as well as fast speeds. Also, I've noticed that the rear end movement of the Scud happens at much slower speeds than the GT3 likely due to the higher HP and skinny 285 rear tires (gt3 comes factory with 305). Thus, the Scud is a bit more "playful" at slower speeds which makes it more fun to drive at slower speeds.

If you are one to prioritize steering feel and chassis feedback, the GT3 is much better than the Scud and 430 IMO. The 7 GT3's steering is perfectly weighted and has so much texture to it that you can really sense what is happening with the front axle. While the 991.2 GT3's electronic steering isn't quite up to par with the hydraulic steering of the 7 it's close. Steering feel on the Scud in contrast is one of the drawbacks of the car IMO. The steering is very quick, but is overly light and numb. I find myself having to just trust what the front axle is doing. With that said, the power train of the 430/Scud more than make up for its short comings.

IMO, the 991.2 GT3 is the car you want if you need something with a dual personality. The 991.2 GT3 is highly capable on track in stock form much more so than the 7 GT3 and 430 while at the same time is easy enough to daily drive if you wanted to. If you are willing to give up some of the event/emotion of driving a Ferrari, the 991.2 GT3 is probably the car for you. But, as a pure toy for the weekends the 430 especially with the gated manual will likely be hard to beat.

I'd say drive the 991.2 GT3 and see if it calls to you...Good luck.

5. market-reasearch

Silver Subscribed

Jul 21, 2021
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    D. Gabathuler
    Owned a 997.2 GT3 and still own a 991.2 GT3 Touring. Most of the time I take the 430 Scuderia key when leaving the house. So much fun and drama. The 991.2 needs to be pushed very hard to come alive but then it is an amazing beast. The 997.2 was a great track car but lacking pull for twisty mountain roads.

Ffre92 likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    performance use - GT3

if passionate about the marque - any F Car.

drcollie, AtomicPunk88 and THINKFAST like this.
  7. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    The above is very well said..

chenglo1 likes this.
  8. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Thanks to all the feedback, incredibly detailed and helpful. It’s amazing that even compared to one of the best modern performance cars, the f430 holds its own and has its unique spark.

I’ll probably hold on to my 430, but still considering switching out my 993c4s for a gt3. Unlike the 430, the 993 just doesn’t feel as exciting anymore. It is lightest car I own, but feels the heaviest, prob because of the slowish steering ratio and low torque. It’s just so beautiful and well made it’s hard to let go…

9. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    A c4 and a S to boot with the wide sexy hips. The 993 is a bit soft from the factory. Add a fister stage 3 exhaust and the right suspension bits, smaller diameter steering wheel, and the car wakes up considerably.

Ffre92 likes this.
  10. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    There is something about the shape and happy color that always gets enthusiastic thumbs ups whenever I take it out
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

boostedt0y likes this.
  11. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    FFmaybe likes this.
  12. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Wow, what a trio! Beautiful picture composition too!

yes speed yellow

boostedt0y likes this.
  13. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Will tell you this…. When I suggested to my wife and kids I was considering trading in the gated F430 for a manual 991.2…… a revolt happened. :D

ryalex, Ffre92, chenglo1 and 3 others like this.
  14. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I went from my 2001 996TT to my 07 430 spider. Both manuals. Although they were both fun to drive, the 430 has SOUL. I ordered both cars new. The 430 puts a smile on my face every time I shift. Nothing better the driving up hwy 1 through Big Sur with the top down on a sunny day. It is not a track car. It is driving Nirvana

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As another owner of both Ferraris and 911s (not biased either way) I would agree with all the above. I don't think I can ever sell my gated 430 not because of some irrational connection, but just because there is nothing else that gives the same combination of thrills, purity, performance (fast car even now) and glamour and looks.

Specifically on the 991.2 GT3, it's a fantastic car but boring at even enthusiastic normal road speeds. You are aware you are in something insanely capable, but it doesn't feel insane, just capable.

I haven't driven the 992 GT3 but just sold my 992 S for the same reason. I took it on a weekend route I take my 430 on. For 90 percent of the time it was either no fun, or less fun. 10 percent, on a damp twisty road, it was as much fun, but less of a thrill, less passion and soul. Hugely satisfying car to own but not a weekend thriller like a gated 430.

They have tried to engineer some rawness back into the 992, the Turbo S for example is more raucous and less slick than its predecessors, but it's a different kind of car.

I have extensively driven almost every Ferrari since the 430 and there is only one that beats it for thrills, at a multiple of the price. No Porsches have done so, but they are a different car for a different purpose.

The gated 430 has a magical balance of qualities. I question whether even a hypothetical gated 458 would be as fun. Again, more boring at normal speeds.

chenglo1, catdog and Ffre92 like this.
  16. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Ok, you can’t just note that only one Ferrari model beats the 430 for thrills and not disclose! Let me guess...Speciale?

17. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    F40?
    288GTO?
    Enzo?
    LaFerrari?
    What is it?!!!

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I LOVE my 997 and now that the Turbo doesn't come with a stick, the GT3 touring is my dream DD.

I wouldn't give up a stick Ferrari for a modern Porsche. F1 for DCT absolutely. but not a stick for stick. I really really liked my friends Gt3 when I drove it with a stick, but it didn't have the sense of occasion that the 360 has for a weekend car. Very very competent and had a really nice road feel, but the Ferrari feels raw and dangerous. She'll slap you if you dot' get it right... I like that. :)

Ffre92 likes this.
  19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    If you can have only 1 and you like to track your car the GT3 wins easily. Every other conceivable reason for owning such a car the Ferrari wins easily.

Ffre92 and boostedt0y like this.
  20. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    I had both a 997gt3 manual and f430 auto at the same time. The 430 steering was vague and the brakes were poor compared to the 3. You can kick out the back end of a 3 around a back road turn and never feel out of control (it’s like a go cart at one of those kid ride parks, same feeling). Never felt enough feedback from the 430 to feel safe doing it. Could have lowered it and got stiffer springs. At the end of the day I sold the 430 and kept the 3.

Now I have a 360 spyder stick. Tastes change. I’ll prob sell me stick in the spring and get another gt3. Who knows. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    "Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

22. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    It’s funny because I was just thinking about how subjective steering feel is. For example most people prefer the granularity of the 993 steering, but I prefer my cayman’s much better despite the EPS (the horror!). I do think the 430 is a bit over boosted for my taste, but still very sharp with decent feedback. I wouldn’t say vague, but I do have fresh PS4Ss on them with alignment. Only minor criticism of brakes is that they could use a little more feel, but they are plenty strong for me.

Gonna keep the 430, it’s just too good. But i have to find some way to add a gt3!

23. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    I tend to agree with @cladd2000 about steering on the 430/scud. It’s the first thing I noticed when I drove one, but the engine more than makes up for it. My scud has new P4S as well and the steering is quick but doesn’t communicate to you like a Porsche does.

Below is an excerpt from a Scuderia review back when the car was new from one of the car mags. The reviewer touched on the steering issue and is consistent with my experience as well as those in my circle of friends that regularly attend DE events (10-20 events a year) who have driven my car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    Yes. What is Porsche (especially gt3)? Brakes and responsive steering. That’s what makes up for them having meh HP. Now, the regular 991 are a pretty sterile driving experience. I test drove one this spring and said no thanks. I’ll get an M3 and save the money.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ffre92 likes this.
  25. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Sounds like I really need to get my hands on a gt3!