Official book collectors thread | Page 156 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    We’re being screwed, just a reprint because there’s demand for the title. And for more than twice the original price. They should stuff em!

Rosey, Jack-the-lad and Lusso123 like this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Porter seems to be hemorrhaging credibility. Of course, it’s their business, they can charge whatever they wish, and more power to them, but this (the sudden discovery of 250GTE book copies) seems a little odd.

Seppefan, bloomberg, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    They still say they are a numbered edition out of 750, so can't be a reprint.

Lusso123, Buchpilot and Zeltweg like this.
  4. Zeltweg

Zeltweg Karting

Apr 8, 2021
    Very interesting. Today I noticed Ferrari 250 GTO - The Autobiography of 4153 GT (Limited Edition; 100 copies) was also back in stock. The listing has a logo that says “Vintage Porter” which is also on the 250 GTE listing.

Seppefan and Buchpilot like this.
  5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    #3880 jtremlett, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    I imagine that they have reprinted damaged copies (although it would help if they were clear), just as Palawan did with Ferrari in Camera (I must have missed the indignation about that). I don't really see what the issue is. No-one is being forced to buy at the higher price. In any case, the 250 GTE book is still better value at £200 than the 20 GTO book at £450.

With regards to Vintage Porter, I found this "Welcome to Vintage Porter, a newly created division of Porter Press International that encompasses our special editions, the last few copies of a particular book, one-offs and specially-signed copies. Vintage Porter is for the collectors. Most high quality motoring books go up in value, not down..."

6. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Porter has some very nice titles, as they have some duds. But they clearly want to milk the cow as much as possible. And they do not communicate well with their audience, they may wish to devote a ‘division’ to solve that problem!

Seppefan and Rosey like this.
  7. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I think, Porter Press operates the same price system than Palawan, but in contrast to Palawan they do it rather unofficially and that causes irritation. The first copies of Palawan's Aston Martin V8 book cost 650 GBP, then the price went up to 750 GBP, and the last 50 copies cost 1,000 GBP. But they said so right from the beginning and everyone knew what he or she would have to pay now and in the future.

In my opinion, the Porter Press team are absolutely honest and cordial people. They would never try to market re-prints or sell copies of questionable pedigree (if you excuse that word in this context). They just got their communication a little bit wrong.

Seppefan and Zeltweg like this.
  8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Personally the higher price doesn't effect me at all. I bought my copy of 250 GTE on release and am very happy with it.

What does annoy me is the SOLD OUT status and then nearly a year later it's now "unsold out", put under a "vintage" category and priced at double the release price.

A similar thing happened with the Ferrari Store when selling their 1000 GP book (which was also a subject of discussion) where they sold the book on their official website advertising it as 1/2000, then they sold out and a week or so later they "unsold out" but not mentioning they were now selling the 1/8360 edition.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/official-book-collectors-thread.200937/page-133#post-147780165

If it's sold out it's sold out.

Don't hold 50 copies or so back and then charge punters a premium.

Porter Press should be more transparent and use a term like... initial release allocation sold out, further releases to follow.

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I agree they should be transparent about where the extra copies have come from. However, I doubt they have "done a Ferrari" and printed a few hundred extra. Rather, I think they have "done a Palawan" and reprinted damaged copies. But there is no reason why they can't be clear about it.

Seppefan likes this.
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    As I mentioned prior Porter definitely have not printed more unnumbered new copies, I just mention the Ferrari situation as an example of a sold out book becoming mysteriosly available again.

Seppefan likes this.
  11. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Mate of mine bought a copy for about £260 I believe from Cotswold as sold out. Now rather p@s@ed off !

12. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Tells me it was not as much but over £200. Seen it for sale nearer £300 recently.

13. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge

Hortons have had one for months for 200 quid!!

Seppefan likes this.
  14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You know things are out of whack when Horton's price is in line with the publishers !! :) :)

Lusso123, Zeltweg and of2worlds like this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #3890 Marcel Massini, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021

https://www.fullcircleferrarigto.com/

Hardbound.
    228 pages,
    Very entertaining.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ivo73, of2worlds and Zeltweg like this.
  16. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Great - I have been waiting for a new GTO book a long time ;)

Seppefan, stevewak, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mr. K:
    See post #3757 from September 2021.

Marcel Massini

18. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I'll do more research but personally looks like a bit of a shelf filler to me rather then a must have.

Seems like a memoir of the man and how the car crosses his path, rather than the other way around.

Seppefan, Buchpilot and Lusso123 like this.
  20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    375+ likes this.
  22. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    According to the GTO register recently published by Porter Press, Bodin owned the car for 19 years, from 1974 to 1993. The current owner acquired the car in 2004, so in two years he or she will equalize the "record".

Zeltweg likes this.
  23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  24. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Off topic, for the ones with a soft spot for Zuffenhausen:

Porsche Silver Steeds,
    Porsche Racing, a dedication 1948 to 1965
    Roy Smith
    Palawan Press
    Poor man's edition at pre-order GBP500.- (first 150 copies)
    Leather fetish edition from GBP2,000.- (first 15 copies)

Zeltweg, ChoroQ, Juli and 3 others like this.
  25. DeRRis

DeRRis Karting

Nov 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dennis B
    I can only find this book from Veloce Publishing?