Daytona Parts Source? | FerrariChat

Daytona Parts Source?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by murphyrg1, Oct 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    We're about to start on a complete restoration on a '69 euro-spec Daytona that will need most of the expected parts renewed or replaced. While I imagine that this is going to turn into a long scavenger hunt for the most part, I wonder if anyone can recommend a few potential sources. So far, I've stumbled upon Mr FIAT, Maranello Classic Parts, All Ferrari Parts, and Ferrari Parts exchange.

We're looking for outfits that have a reasonable inventory of good quality parts who ideally are easy to work with. And it would be a bonus if they had some idea of what actually came on a Daytona. While never started, the engine and transaxle were gone through some time ago, so most of what we need initially should be just body and chassis.

Any suggestions (or warnings)?

Thanks,
    Rory

2. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Eurospares (has plenty of Daytona stuff) and Superformance (for a few things in their Classic V12 section), both in the UK.

3. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    Thanks. It seems like we are likely to have to buy from the UK at some point. If nothing else, Eurospares does a good job with the parts diagrams.

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    GT car parts Phoenix
    Bill has been a Ferrari parts guy for 40 + years
    623 780 2200
    no connection -- just a customer

Dogdish, 375+ and JimEakin like this.
  5. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Cicognani in Italy is the manufacturing source for almost all the rubber trim items for restoring Ferraris; MPI/T. Rutlands is the principal USA agent. Mr. FIAT seems to be primarily cycling Roelofs (Netherlands) mechanical reproduction parts and Cicognani. GTO engineering in the UK. Brandoli Egidio srl (near Maranello) offers a number of reproduced dcoachwork items

375+ likes this.
  6. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    (sorry, typo fixed)
    Cicognani in Italy is the manufacturing source for almost all the rubber trim items for restoring Ferraris; MPI/T. Rutlands is the principal USA agent. Mr. FIAT seems to be primarily cycling Roelofs (Netherlands) mechanical reproduction parts and Cicognani. GTO engineering in the UK. Brandoli Egidio srl (near Maranello) offers a number of Daytona reproduced coachwork items.

7. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    Thanks, guys. I'll run down GT Car Parts to see what they have. And I've already spotted a few parts that I feared were NLA on the Cicognani and Brandoli websites. Thank goodness my daughter is taking Italian as her language elective. Now if I can just get her to forget this pre-med nonsense so she can focus on supporting her dad's car habit...

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Cicognani has the correct looking rubber pieces, as "lancia" mentioned, and a pretty complete inventory as well. One caveat, however, their catalogue is not a hundred percent reliable; i.e., they don't really know which part goes to which car. A Daytona part that you cannot find in the Daytona section, for instance, may be listed in the Dino section.

john

V12addict and TTR like this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Also, many Cicognani parts (for at least Daytonas ) are both aesthetically & technically noticeably “different” than OEM, some even unusable or plain wrong, but this is fairly common with many reproduction items made for these cars today, especially coachwork & trim bits.

The fact that many online (only) vendors have no technical knowledge or understanding of the parts they sell is not helpful either. "They" often or usually just go by what their suppliers tell them and the issue get perpetuated ad nauseam.

10. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    The lack of "correctness" in repo parts has been so common in my experience that I'm actually pleasantly surprised when the new part matches the old one. It's more forgivable when the part being reproduced is difficult to make, produced in very small quantities, made on a very limited budget or with incomplete info, etc. Our biggest disappointment in our last complete restoration of a '73 911 came from buying Porsche Classic parts. Wrong in material and/or appearance was common, and occasionally, the part was dimensionally wrong - this from the company who made(or sourced) the original part. Even the expensive bits like the fenders and hood needed extensive rework before we could use them. Their advertising and catalog are really nice, though.

fasthound, readplays and 375+ like this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    there is just no hope if the germans are incapable of quality controlled parts.

fasthound and readplays like this.
  12. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    We suggested that they reallocate some of their formidable marketing budget to the quality control area.