FORMULA 1 ROLEX TURKISH GRAND PRIX 2021 - Istanbul....RACE....▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 9 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX TURKISH GRAND PRIX 2021 - Istanbul....RACE....▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Oct 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    All wheels were on, so I think it was one of the wheel gun guys not pushing the button, or thinking they did, but they didn't.

Bas likes this.
  2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Agree. Pitting when they did took him off the podium. I think once you got to lap 50, it was the point of no return,

3. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Same. I was baffled by that penalty. Cost Pierre P5 ahead of ham.

stavura, Isobel, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Good interviews with Toto then LH.

Stop earlier would have been a touch better. Its racing.......and why we watch!

Nuvolari likes this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I see the strategy decision-making at Ferrari as their biggest potential weakness, especially compared to RBR, who I consider have the sharpest pit wall, from Horner on down.

At Ferrari today you have Sainz proposing a strategy, the team leaving the decision of Charles’ stop to him and then that classic line about “you win”. And that’s only what we hear.

Bas likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yeah my thinking as well. Shame as he was having a fantastic race.

7. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Okey looking at the footage again I agree.

furoni likes this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The pitwall has been awful since Brawn & co left. At least Vettel was intelligent enough to make the right calls when he came...though not sure what he was thinking today. Slicks?!

9. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Ham and Toto post-race doing everything but coming out and saying #44 should have boxed when first directed.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bet the PR team made sure LH behaved

Nortonious and ingegnere like this.
  11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Didn’t watch. Did HAM calm down a bit?

I applaud you for having the stomach to listen to a Toto interview. ;)

stavura, Jakuzzi, furoni and 2 others like this.
  12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Agree. I can understand Hamilton’s feeling as a driver, but it was a 50/50 situation. He can’t really say anything about not pitting earlier. That was his decision. The team felt that the gamble wasn’t worth the risk at the end. I agree with that.

Bas likes this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's sad really. I really don't know what the stewards where thinking there.

14. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Yes. He had a Much different tone than his team radio complaining just a few moments earlier. I guess it's too much to expect a simple statement like, "I wanted to stay out, but it looks like I should have boxed when directed."

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lewis was asked: " Do you think you could have made it to the end on your old tires?"

Lewis response: "Ocon did."

Jeronimo GTO, Isobel and Nortonious like this.
  16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Drivers are running on adrenaline, team is running on analysis. It wasn’t too long ago that Norris told his team to stfu…that did not work out so well for him.

Terra, 375+ and ingegnere like this.
  17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Complete and utter b.s. How many times have we seen that situation rated as a first-lap incident?

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Fairly obvious many of the drivers realize the stewards’ calls are totally clueless.

Imagine Checo racing in the rain on worn intermediates, battling with a 7x WDC who pushes him to the pit lane during an attempted pass and he has to ask whether they are going to penalize him…..

It was probably the best commentary on the caliber of current officiating. That Gasly penalty today was an embarrassment.

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    True, but Sochi's conditions when compared to Turkey's conditions are quite different. Last year, Lewis did 51 laps on "inter-slicks." Other dirvers did 45 plus laps on "inter-slicks."

Today at Turkey, it was a repeat of 2020......I believe the drivers could have gone 45 plus laps on the "inter-slicks."

ricksb likes this.
  20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think they were setting up for a defense if Perez were to be penalized for crossing the pit-lane entry and then going back on track. I applaud them for not making THAT inane decision

Isobel likes this.
  21. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Ham really cost himself better placing today by ignoring teams summons

Jakuzzi, Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I didn't get the F1TV commentary today, so had to settle for Dutch TV...what did button & co say?

Isobel likes this.
  23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I agree. I think the drivers get pissed because they are in the heat of the battle and are optimistic they can pull of the miraculous. The garage is thinking more about the loss potential. They felt Sergio, Charles and Gasly could get LH at the end as the tires were going off a cliff (I don’t know if I agree, but I digress).

I just think drivers need to trust their team. Merc was hoping for slicks at the end, the track didn't dry enough. It was a “discretion is the better part of valor” moment, though I understand both positions,

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes he was calm, Im sure the engineer and Toto laid out the process on what was going on. LH knew and stated others were faster around him. Its not a controversy and was evident when he spoke. Not defensive at all. Pretty simple overall. Stop earlier would have been better. All drivers vent. Try Vettel lol

ricksb likes this.
  25. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    questionable, would he have passed Perez? Possibly. I assume Leclerc would have pitted if all of the other top-5 did. Maybe he lost one place. He was 19 secs behind the top-3 before they pitted,

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.