EASY (& simple) editing tool for driving videos ? | FerrariChat

EASY (& simple) editing tool for driving videos ?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TTR, Oct 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I basically video record some of my own leisure and client car test drives using a small onboard recorder (Sony HDR-AS300) from which I download the footage(s) to my iMac desktop, but would like to find an easy/simple-to-use editing "tool" (i.e. app or program ?) with which I can use for cutting down or off any uninteresting/-necessary footage sections.

For example, I just downloaded something called iMovie and it has various editing features, like color/tone/etc changes or single still image cropping (none of which I need), but no apparent(?) option for cutting down deleting any (middle) sections of footage.

A while back, I had something (free) called "adobe"(?) and I think it had a features allowing this, but they ceased operations.

I see there are various monthly subscription based programs, but I my needs are quite limited or infrequent that I would prefer something either free or with one-time modest fee.

Also, I do not wish to download my videos (or photos) to any external "hosting" site to get these types tasks done.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    iMovie does that. Adobe is very much in business and their video products are quite excellent but have a steep monthly cost.

Here's a cut and paste I got from Google.

Trim unwanted frames using the shortcut menu
    1. In the iMovie app on your Mac, press and hold the R key, and drag across a clip in the timeline to select the range of frames you want to keep.
    2. Control-click the clip, and choose Trim Selection from the shortcut menu. The clip is trimmed to the boundaries of the selection.

TTR likes this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, thank you very much for that.
    I’ll definitely try it

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I did try some of this earlier today and while it’s likely due to my lack of computer skills, I wasn’t able to find or figure out this “Trim Selection from the shortcut menu”.
    Without actually using “the R key and drag” method, I somehow managed to figure out how to move or select (narrowed) timeline perimeters, but that’s as far as I got.
    I’ll try tomorrow again, but…

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Being that my wife is (a much) more computer literate, I asked her to come by the shop this morning and advise.
    After she stopped laughing at the old age of my iMac (which she bought for me years ago), she laughed at my overly complicated efforts of trying to get this editing/trimming done and proceeded to show me how easy it can be.
    Turned out, I didn’t need iMovie or other external programs.
    Everything needed and then some is/was already in my existing photo and video viewing programs.

BTW, did I mention I (almost) hate computers, but thank you @EastMemphis for your suggestion (which would’ve work also, if I only knew how to coax needed details on to the darn screen).

EastMemphis likes this.
  6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Utube has tons of tutorials and how to’s. Google and watch a few. Make notes on post-its.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you for your reply, but as noted in my previous post, I got it all (or most ?) already figured out and written down for the next time.

My immediate need for this was to compile couple of test drives featuring two different “custom” exhaust systems I created/fabricated and wanted to document the noise/sound levels (in decibels) inside the cabin, while driving the same car, on same sections of same roads in same gears and speeds, etc.

Actually, my wife ended up doing some pretty cool editing by piecing various footages (scenes ?) together with “fade-to-black” transitions, added texts introducing next scene + same for the beginning (w/Title) and the end (w/copyright) and some brief super cool layover texts indicating the gear in use, RPMs, speed and dB measurements.

All came out great and although not sharing any of it publicly, we’re just waiting for Academy Of Motion Pictures to send her at least nomination, if not the Oscar himself. :rolleyes:

NbyNW likes this.