355 - any F355 owners with 911 GT3 experience? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 any F355 owners with 911 GT3 experience?

Discussion in '348/355' started by michaelz, Oct 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    TV, fridge, dart board, Lazy-boy, GT3, 355....jealous of your man cave!

3. NewYorkLego

NewYorkLego Karting

Jan 28, 2019
    NY
  4. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    And you missed the X19

Targatime likes this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  6. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    As McEnroe famously said: You cannot be serious!!! :)

The SW certainly elevates it, but the stock engine note is already a loud, racy, 9k-revving and overall phenomenal sound. I'd call it anything but 'least sounding'...

Midnight Oil likes this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I run 30 miles a week in a town with thousands of Porsches. Yes 90% are the most common 911/Boxsters, but from behind you are like is that a clanky VW passing me or just another Porsche, usually another Porsche. I agree the higher end Porsches do a "little" better job with sounds, but for the most part Porsche is a fraction of every other 6-digit sports car out there.

8. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    This has all been very enlightening. Thanks for all the feedback, I have found my answer. Keep F355!

911 GT3, still very much on the to do list but will let it happen naturally, not going to force the issue right now. Goal, have both :)

PFDenver and rob lay like this.
  9. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    thousands of Porsches...
    common 911/Boxsters...
    clanky VW...
    higher end Porsches do a "little" better job...
    Porsche is a fraction of every other 6-digit sports car out there...

Ok, ok... now I know you're really joking :)

If that's not the case, then I'll respectfully agree to 100% disagree with you

Midnight Oil likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    actually not. just real life experience owning both and being around them. what gives you a better comparison than being outside on foot in a town where I get passed by Ferraris, Lamborghinis, McLarens, and Porsches every single day.

Anyone that would say any different is just a partial fanboy, doesn’t know what they’re talking about, or is talking about 5-10% of the Porsches coming out of the factory. Some Ferraris sound better than others, but they all sound good even stock.

If you really want something honest to wave the Porsche flag, then you can talk about the quality and their handling. Porsche has always beat out Ferrari in that regard, at a fraction of the price.

11. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Like I said, agree to disagree. And I'd rather just leave it at that, as my opinion (as a Ferrari and Porsche owner myself) is quite different from yours.

rob lay likes this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I like the GT3 sounds, particularly above 6,000 rpm. Unfortunately, in normal driving I would rarely let it wind out that far....I’m better suited for big torque cars.

13. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Most porches are lacking in exhaust. But a GT3 between 7500 and 9000 is beautiful!

Zamboniman308 and rob lay like this.
  14. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I rev mine to 9k (and right below the 100 mph mark) VERY often without having to go to the track, which mostly means when entering a few selected freeways with long straights and great visibility. Revving to 9k on 3rd (and in an MT) is as glorious IMHO with the GT3 + SW bypass than in the 458 stock exhaust. I love them both like my 2 kids.

But I also really like the raw sound of the air cooled 964s, 993s and even the 997s flat6, even at low speeds. The ones that got pretty quiet (non GT) are the 991s+. Specially the 991.2 turbos are super refined to the point of being a bit boring to me. But I also feel the 488s and F8s have gone in that direction too.

But net, net, while I love the sound and overall experience Ferrari produces over Porsche, I wouldn't go as far as to say that the Porsches are that much far away.

BTW, here's some fun to share. I'll let you be the judge:
    1) my GT3 at the track: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kpVjwz6bm5HwmsL38
    2) my 458 mountain ride: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pFMkRkNdcsZ2RiAH8

:cool:

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    That's going to jail speed around here (9k in 3rd is 109 mph) so it is all you on that one.....I'll stick with the cars I have which are loads of fun below 70 mph

16. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Ok, ok... You took my message literally. I always avoid getting to 100mph, so perhaps on 3rd I'm not getting all the way to 9k in the street, but at 8k, or even 7k, which is pretty great and fun already. My general point is that you can take the GT3 (just like the 458) to 9k in some selected occasions that are not necessarily at the track. You can go up to 9k in 2nd gear and be at legal speeds. Add to it the fact that it's a manual transmission, and the thrill is awesome. I'm making this point because I do strongly believe you can have great fun with a GT3 outside the track. Again, my personal and subjective experience.

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^I'm sure you would have fun with a GT3 on the street. For me, with a similar rpm range the gearing of the F355 just makes it easier to do so. (as you're at similar speeds at the top of 4th in the F355 as you are in 3rd in a GT3)

18. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Agreed.

Coincidentally I went out to test drive the F8 yesterday and, while I absolutely loved it, I said to myself the exact same thing. It's easier to enjoy the 458 because I can have loads of fun at under 90 mph. With the F8 I found myself constantly breaking because in a matter of 2 seconds I was reaching the 100 mph limit. :eek:

INTMD8 and JohnnyTT like this.
  19. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I'm regularly behind my buddies GT3 Touring when we go for spirited country drives. From where I'm sitting (always in his review mirror) that's a beautifully menacing exhaust note. Different pitch than the 355 for sure but something I'd be honored to own.

INTMD8 likes this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    how about a stock 911 or Boxster compared to a stock Ferrari?

21. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    IMHO... it will depend on model. 2 examples:

Stock 997 CS sounds pretty darn good compared to the stock F8
    Stock 458 sounds way better than stock 991s
    Stock 355 sounds better than most any cars... :)

... and so on.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so the problem is really turbos. :)

23. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Agree those are a yawn in comparison... but I thought we were talking gt3's :D

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there were 2 conversations. GT3 and how the average Porsche sounds. I had a GT3, but I hear several average Porsches every day out running and they sound like clanky VW's compared to true exotics.