Dino 308 GT4 Exhaust | FerrariChat

Dino 308 GT4 Exhaust

Discussion in '308/328' started by [email protected], Oct 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gjpels@comcast.net

Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jul 14, 2014
    Houston
    Hi All-

I'm working at securing the Classiche certification for a 1975 308 Dino GT4. Ferrari (Italy) has raised an issue concerning the correct exhaust silencer for the vehicle. Currently, the vehicle has what I believe is the original exhaust system and rear valance. The system has the boxy silencer with the dual exhausts that align with the valance. It is not the European dual exhaust system. Ferrari (Italy) has raised the issue that the exhaust system should have one tailpipe on the driver side. See attached picture (neither picture is of the car at issue).
    I understood that the single tailpipe as pictured was for the 208 GT4, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Would anyone have insight into this issue.

Thanks a bunch.

Attached Files:

2. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I understood that single-pipe exhaust was for 208-GT4, while dual-pipe (4 tips) were standard on 308-GT4. The Series 1 cars for US started with the heavy thermoreactor silencer, and tips that curved to face down. The turn-down tips were soon replaced by straight tips.

absostone and Pero like this.
  3. gjpels@comcast.net

Jul 14, 2014
    Houston
    Thank you. That is consistent with my understanding.

4. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Perhaps the 75 MY was a single .The launch modal ?

Then by say 76/77 the quad ANSA was a factory fit .
    How ever in the PR disaster recovery plan of the “ Dino “ brand around 76/77 , a lot of original 75 single pipers were retro fitted the quad ANSA along with the nose badge prancing horse and horse stuck on the rear .All locally at dealer level .

Technically the factory ( who have the build sheet specs presume) are correct ……it left the factory with a single pipe .

To confuse matters more I have a 77 208 with the quad ANSA fwiw .

5. gjpels@comcast.net

Jul 14, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks for your insights. I guess the takeaway is that nothing is easy or easy to figure out. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Thanks again!

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The only figure in the 91/74 euro 308GT4 OM showing the exhaust (that I could find) also shows quad tips.

7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    My '75 Series 1 had the quad tips. There's a Ferrari technical bulletin instructing the early cars with turn down tips to be fitted with (fake) straight out tips. I wonder what the date of that bulletin is, because it would establish that quad tips were certainly out before then.

absostone likes this.
  8. Tulammo762

Tulammo762 Karting

Sep 21, 2021
    Service bulletin 266/9 was 1.7.1975, US cars only.

9. Tulammo762

Tulammo762 Karting

Sep 21, 2021
    BTW, that file is for GTB/S, not GT4's.

morcal likes this.
  10. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    NoGoSlow likes this.
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Surely Classiche knows all this stuff???

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

absostone likes this.
  12. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Probably not a lot of 308s have gone through Classiche, and of those I'll bet very few have been GT4s. Someone in Maranello probably just needs a little brushing up.

13. gjpels@comcast.net

Jul 14, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks to all for your help. Learned today that Italy concurs with the quad tips. My bet is some confusion between the 208 and 308 as we suspected.
    Thanks again,
    -Gerry

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tulammo762, absostone, Pero and 2 others like this.
  15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ANSA was not a Factory fitment, as they were putting the thermo reactor mufflers on North American cars..

It was a dealer option item.

It's also well known a lot of Euro cars had single outlet, some 'glass 308GTBs for instance, the rear valences were made with a cutout...
    A "mail slot" valence on the GTB could accept the four tip option without a lot of heartache....

16. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Never seen a 308GT4 with mono-tip exhausts. As mentioned @Tulammo762 the spec.sheet is related to a 308GTB

kiwiokie, BigTex and Steve Magnusson like this.
  17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll admit I am not up on details of the model, across all markets...apologies.

morcal and Plutonium like this.
  18. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I would ask classiche for a build sheet or archive record on the car to prove this…

19. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Bothe the cars in those pictures are very clearly gtb or GTS. They are not gt4. We debate more about the mesh grille or daiper . Both of which support 4 tips.

20. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    "@Tulammo762 the spec.sheet is related to a 308GTB[/QUOTE]"

The tires ( GoodYear NCT) in the pic are also wrong for a 1975 308GT4. So that if @[email protected] would have changed exhausts and tires to follow Ferrari Classiche sheet would have ended having a certified wrong 308GT4...

21. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    I have the original exhaust for my 1975 model, the "thermal reactor" and I also have another exhaust. Oddly, the original exhaust has the "fake straight" pipes on it, and the other one has the downward pointing exhaust without the fake straight pipes. Don't know it it helps any, but the downward facing pipes are factory, and the fake straight pipes were often added by dealers (at least that's my understanding).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone and NoGoSlow like this.
  22. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I reckon we should remove Classiche's certification to certify gt4s - we know far more than they do and care about the cars more.

absostone and kiwiokie like this.
  23. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Quite right Patrick.
    Incidentally a few years ago, just out of interest as I wasn't actually intending to do it, I asked Tony Wilis who was at that point doing all the Classiche inspections here in UK, how much it would cost.

It wasn't as much as I thought it would be, but then I suggested my car wouldn't pass because 1) It now has modern 13 inch cooling fans. 2) It has after market Superformance 18 inch alu 5 spoke wheels 3) It has a modern Momo steering wheel, though I do have the original Momo one. 4) It has a modern replacement fuseblock with mini spade fuses. He told me that none of that would be a problem but then asked if it had an original Ferrari exhaust. I told him - No - it has a Stebro ceramic coated exhaust. He told me for that reason it wouldn't pass. Go figure.

Patrick Dixon likes this.