355 - F355 Metal Interior Trim | FerrariChat

355 F355 Metal Interior Trim

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, Oct 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 PaulK, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Brothers and Sisters Of The Revolution,

Some of you may know that I am a mod on the F355 Fan Club on Facebook. A gentleman who makes Porsche parts posted on there inquiring if anyone wanted interior trim made out of metal- either aluminum or magnesium- as his friend has a 355 and is removing the interior trim to go carbon.

The guy looks to do just about perfect work for Porsche parts but we Ferrari people tend to want OEM even if it means junk. But... What do you think? Would you buy interior trim made out of metal?

Edit: Link not working here, check post below.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Is this the correct link?

What parts in the interior would be need to be made out of metal?

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The center console would be nice (shifter surround).

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Maybe a slightly stronger version of the surround for the toggle switches forward of the gearshift? Not that I could afford it. Does the process involve 3D printing, metallic coating or CNC?

I think you would have problems with the console panels as the graphics need to be backlit.

Hill Engineering provide some stuff ... doorlock posts, seat recline handles (for some models), slick shift gates, etc.

6. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Ironic timing. I was thinking about posting today what people are thinking/doing to modernize their interiors.

The ECU covers behind the seats, the center console, a lot of other parts would look great in carbon. Valence did the center console switch plates and shifter surround as one contiguous unit in carbon - looks great, but from what I've read on here their turnaround time is in years.

Same for the seats, I'm always thinking about new leather with more modern stitching patterns like the newer Ferraris - like diamond pattern.

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am not sure what is involved- the gentleman did come on here but his post was marked as spam and deleted. He is trying to ascertain if there is a market for metal interior trim. I am not sure how he makes his stuff but it looks really good. I am not into modifying my car but others might and I thought this might be helpful.

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Question is what would actually look good in metal. Only thing I can think of is the interior door handles in the same finish as the shift gate and gear knob, or in a satin anodized aluminum. Otherwise what could you actually make in metal? Everything is covered in leather. The center console switch plates in metal -- that wouldn't look good at all.

Qavion likes this.
  9. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    To get rid of the cabin's chintzyness, all the plastic surrounding the switches, gear shift and radio bezel need to be leather covered or carbon. Metal won't look good or be appropriate.

Ferrarium likes this.
  10. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    sturdy metal painted in durable matte black to replace plastic parts would be good!

it can help retain the original look and achieve reliability of those flimsy parts

OCKlasse and Qavion like this.
  11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    PhilB likes this.
  12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree. The only metal I would consider if it was black... maybe anodized.

13. r echo

r echo Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    The inner door releases matched to the gear shift gate would look and feel great and no more gummy black on your fingers