Mistral head stud removal | FerrariChat

Mistral head stud removal

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by emsiegel13, Oct 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I'm sure this has been discussed before. If so, perhaps someone can direct me to the right listing. if not, I have a 1966 Mistral being overhauled and I would like to remove the studs but do so without stripping the threads in the block. My engine builder is extremely competent and know what can happen if the studs have cold welded themselves over the years and has all the easily accessed knowledge on dealing with the problem and is loath to touch them know the potential consequences. The studs appear to be in reasonable good shape but since I have brand new replacements and the engine is completely apart now is a good time to renew them for the next fifty years. Any suggestions, reasonable or not, are welcome.

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It depends on how you intend to use this engine. If you are looking to have a nice Sunday driver I would leave the stubs alone as they will most likely outlast you and me.

Ivan

3. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I would like to use the engine as a summer daily driver, hence the idea of putting in new studs. Thoughts on removal without damage?

4. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  5. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    I have a Mistral 4000 engine with new studs and an early 3500 with the old ones (pics below). These need to come out as well. I would probably heat the surrounding aluminium before trying. Lapré Engineering has done this numerous times, also on my 3500 earlier this year. I will ask him again and let you know.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    Just spoke to Mervin Lapré. You need to heat the material surrounding the stud but do not overheat. There will remain a risk that they break. Lapré has made a special tool to mill the broken stud flat in situ. Then a precise centre point. To drill out the studs he has a set of special drills. The studs are very hard and brittle which adds to the challenge. Mervin, the owner, is a great guy and will help you if needed.
    https://lapreclassics.com/

staatsof likes this.