430 - Fire extinguisher, leave it in or remove | FerrariChat

430 Fire extinguisher, leave it in or remove

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Oct 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi all,

This is my first car with an extinguisher... Do I really need it ? My wife is annoyed by it... Can I somehow fix it somewhere else like behind the passenger seat or something? .

I would like to have it with me in case when I track the car... just another location would be nice.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

If stock, does it still show as "good" or having pressure on the gauge? By now most Ferraris of this vintage are likely going to feature a non-functional extinguisher! I removed mine but have retained everything if I ever want to re-install for looks!

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mario Andretti, you should be giving us the answers to this :)

Mario Andretti likes this.
  4. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Yep its în the green as in good pressure .

5. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I would keep it. I can tell you from experience you’ll thank yourself if you need it and have it…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I'd keep it for sure in the car. Behind the seat seems fine to me. Someplace you can get to it quickly is the key. Can mean the difference between a total loss and a somewhat minor if not traumatic fixable event.

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Face it. If your Ferrari catches on fire, it's already totalled by the insurance company. The point of the fire extinguisher isn't to save the car. It's already ruined. It's to save what's left of it and potentially, your house or other belongings which may be destroyed by the ensuing very hot fire.

I've kept a fire extinguisher in every car I've owned. I've even saved one of them, a Porsche 911 that burst a fuel line while I pulled out of my garage. I managed to save that car and rebuild it.

The fire extinguisher I carry in my 360 is one of those new fangled solid state designs that is the size of a large road flare (an Element brand). I keep it in the driver's door pocket so that as I'm exiting the vehicle in a panic, the fire extinguisher is still within easy grasp.

8. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Is that safe for engines/cars and gas ? Which one you got, 50 seconds or 100 seconds discharge. Seems nice and small compared to the stock one, which is also heavy ?

EDIT: It says 50 seconds is over 4 times longer discharge than a 5lbs regular one... Does the one in the car only discharge 10 seconds???

Thanks

9. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Ignore my post, I watched the Normal Guy Supercar video, and it does seem that this guy shoots for longer.. I'll probably get one too for the car, keep the stock one in the garage.
    Thanks

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I got the 100 second unit as it is still very small and fits in the door pocket.

One time, I was cruising around in the Dallas area in my totally restored 1972 Camaro 350 and saw a Jag XJ with flames shooting out of the open hood. I stopped, offered the driver my fire extinguisher, instructed him how to use it, and he put out the fire before it did a lot of damage. At first the guy was all nice about it, then I asked if he wanted to pay $20 for the discharged unit and he got all pissy, called me a scammer and got physically threatening.

If I was a scammer, I could have offered to sell him the extinguisher for $200 while the fire was going. He would have paid for sure.

No good deed goes unpunished.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It’s because he was the owner of a Jaaagggg (in the accent of Clarkson from Top Gear).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Mario Andretti and EastMemphis like this.
  12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    That's Jag-you-r to you uppity Ferrari owners...:D

Mario Andretti likes this.