Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Superfast275

Superfast275 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Somewhere in Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    Ok let me ask another way. Assume the watch is in stock and available for purchase today - which this one is. What should I ensure comes with it? For instance I remember reading somewhere that alongside the calfskin strap you also got an alligator one - which the AD here tells me is not the case.

2. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    When I received my 5524 about 3 years ago, no extra strap was included ~ brown calfskin only. The box was the traditional, dark wood PP model with the usual documentation (certificate of origine, user manual, etc). No freebies, no discount … only a lot of miles on my AMEX card. If you are purchasing from an authorized AD, everything will be in good and proper order.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  4. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Each AD is different, the "extras" they give is at their discretion which usually depends on your purchasing history with that AD/sales rep. That said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Did you buy from your usual dealer ? Just curious.

MDS

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No, a member here actually who is a dealer. Very good experience. My main watch dealer does not sell Patek.

flat_plane_eddie and mikesufka like this.
  7. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Is the FChat member an authorized PP dealer?

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Congrats on your success and getting to a position where you can afford the 5524! I've had 3 in the last few months and they've gone up tremendously in popularity in the last month. I'm not sure what's going on, could be Youtube reviews or Hodinkee articles or who knows what, but I sold all 3 in the last month even though I had one sitting for 4 months prior. From my experience, it appeals to a lot of non Patek fans because it doesn't look like a traditional Patek. On the other hand, old school Patek fans are 50/50 on it. I personally love it and it's got the same caliber 324 movement like the 5164 but at a fraction of the grey market price.

I haven't heard of anybody getting an extra strap or anything like that as standard. As others have said, I think that has to do more with your relationship with the AD. One of the used 5524s I had came with a small Patek travel case but this customer has purchased over $300k from the AD so they threw it in as a thank you I guess. If I were you, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff like an extra strap or winder or whatnot. As long as you get what it's supposed to come with (watch, box, certificate/papers, booklets, leather holder and the stylus/setting tool) I'd be happy and just enjoy it :).

I am not an authorized PP dealer. I don't believe ADs will discount these as much as I can to an end user. Now of course I can't get a discount or even pay retail for the hot stuff (Aquanaut and Nautilus) but on the more traditional and dressier models which aren't as much in demand, I can get bigger discounts.

Congrats again on your first Patek Jon and I hope you'll enjoy it!

Superfast275, poljav and Jo Sta7 like this.
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Eddie was fantastic to work with. Prompt, knowledgeable, and reasonable. Sent the watch exactly when he said I had it less than 24 hours after I sent my wire. It’s a stunning piece.

11. Superfast275

Superfast275 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Somewhere in Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    Thank you! I fully agree with everything you said, although a travel case would be a really nice extra to get along with the watch!

12. Superfast275

Superfast275 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Somewhere in Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    Love it! Congrats. Does the lack of symmetry (pushers on the left sticking out more than the crown) bother you at all when you wear it? Also the crown sits a little lower (closer to the wrist if I remember correctly), right? Those are the only 2 things that I worry could bug me about it…

13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    You're welcome but those travel cases are around $100-$200 on eBay. It's a nice gesture if the AD does it but again it's not a deal breaker in my opinion.

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    no it doesn’t get in the way at all. Wears great.

15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Congrats bro! You picked well!! I told you you would love the watch!!!

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ask for a second strap but don’t expect it. No winder but see if they can give you a leather travel case. Really nothing comes with the watch other than box and papers. Congrats and 5524 is one of my favorites.

Superfast275 likes this.
  17. Superfast275

Superfast275 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Somewhere in Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    Thank you very much! That sounds very reasonable. In all honesty I don’t think I need a 2nd strap, but I definitely need the travel case.

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Strap changing is super easy on the 5524. Takes all of 30 seconds. I have a brown and blue Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. mlgtoeng

mlgtoeng Rookie

Jul 1, 2010
    Looking for a 6119R 001. I am UK based. Ideas please

20. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Call Mike Manjos at the thewatchbox.com they have two in stock. Have known Mike for over 10 years. He will take care of you. They are an AD.

21. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Is there a more overhyped watch than the 5711??

ShineKen and mchas like this.
  24. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    there is not!

SoCal to az likes this.