599 Hot Air From Vents | FerrariChat

599 Hot Air From Vents

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ducati348, Oct 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    Hi all,
    My 2011 599 A/C is not blowing cold. I checked the pressures and they are within range. When I was driving the car with the recirculation button off and the temperature level set to low, I noticed very hot air coming through the vents. I suspect the A/C (cold air) is being mixed with the heater air (hot air) making the combined outcome warm air. Has anyone had this issue with their 599? I suspect the heater valve is not closing all the way. According to the WSM, the proportioning valve goes through a learning cycle whenever the battery is disconnected and if the leaning cycle fails it repeats the learning cycle whenever the cycle is cycled on. I have cycled the key several times, but the result is the same. Any ideas what the problem could be?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Flap motors maybe

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes. I hate to say it but power cycle to reset the system. That is what fixed my AC. And yes, my system appeared to be a mixing flap but it was just a reset.

flash32 likes this.
  4. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    Thanks SkidKid. By Power cycle, do you mean cut the connection to the battery and reconnect?

alex

5. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    Success!
    Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and then going through then reconnection procedure fixed the problem! Air coming out of the vents with A/C on is 36 degrees Fahrenheit now .

Skidkid and flash32 like this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly and congrats. I struggled with my AC for months before I accidently ran the battery down and .... well .... it was magically fixed. I even had my system checked for leaks, evacuated, and recharged without success. THEN I figured out that it was just confused.

Another hint: When you turn on the key, wait for the check light to go off before starting the car. The clutch engagement tends to be very grabby at first if you don't do that.

I believe both of these are caused by a low voltage situation caused by the current draw of the starter during initial startup. It is really only an issue when the car has been sitting for a while not on the trickle charger.

flash32 likes this.
  7. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    Thanks again. Great advice too.
    Cheers,
    Alex

8. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    Let us know if you solve the problem pursuant to the advice above. When my A/C cooling system failed on my 2010 612, the symptoms were the same as yours, but the problem and solution were more complex. If resetting the system doesn't work, I'll tell you about my problem and solution.

9. Fcar dreams

Fcar dreams Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Peter G
    Kahrl, you got my interest, my 2006 612 stopped blowing cold could you share your experience? Cheers Peter.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think ultimately you will find that the TGK valves are going bad. i had this same situation and it got progressively worse. it was about a $3K fix by FOA.... which was not so bad actually vs. taking the entire dash out.

Fcar dreams likes this.
  11. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Thought I was confused once, but it turned out that I was wrong.

Fcar dreams, 599_GTO and Skidkid like this.
  12. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    When my A/C stopped blowing cold air, my mechanic at my request first put in new refrigerant. That didn't work. Then he checked the electrics. The computer was correctly asking for cold air, but nothing was coming out. Finally, he discovered that the system contains a sack of dessicant intended to help remove moisture from the system. The sack had ruptured, and the desiccant had been sucked into the downstream part of the cooling system. I don't know whether the desiccant was in the refrigerant circuit or in the airstream. He cleaned out the grains of desiccant from the system and that solved the problem. It took quite a while to diagnose the problem.

Fcar dreams likes this.
  13. kevchan_uk

kevchan_uk Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I had a similar problem four years ago on my 612 OTO (2008), I tried power cycling the A/C and also turning the temp from low to high which sometimes helped to reset/recalibrate or move the TGK valves. Eventually had to replace the 1 x TGK valve which kept getting stuck in open (heating position). Later the A/C ECU went crazy and started again getting different temperature air from different vents. Eventually replaced A/C ECU and all has been fine now.

Fcar dreams likes this.