330 GTC twin oil coolers | FerrariChat

330 GTC twin oil coolers

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fasthound, Oct 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    One of my Coventry/Mocal oil coolers appears to be leaking (not from the pipe fittings themselves). Is there a source for these little coolers? I haven’t checked with any suppliers yet, thought I’d ask here first in case anyone knows of a source. I have no idea if these can be re-cored like water radiators? Certainly there’s more pressure in the oil coolers that a normal water radiator. I have heard that these same coolers were used on MGB’s at some point (?), so I may look at Moss Motors.

I suppose I could use this as an excuse to re-plumb the car with a later system where the oil cooler was integrated into the bottom of the radiator, but what’s the fun of that? Besides, I can’t imagine that would be anything other than prohibitively expensive.

Anyone have any experience with these little coolers?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    No experience with the external coolers, but …..
    In my opinion, unless you could find an original radiator with the integrated olio cooler, you are right, you would be better off fixing what you have, not to mention needing to alter all the external plumbing for a new set up.

My car is a later one with the oil cooler integral with the radiator. The oil temps come up approximately with the water temps. I had mine completely taken apart and recored. It was quite a job as the cooling lines are coiled into the bottom tank requiring complete disassembly and re soldering. I did two pressure test, one for the radiator and one for the oil lines. I also carefully measured the location of all the mounting brackets before disassembly because the radiator is a relatively close fit, especially the clearance to the alternator, at least on my car that is.
    Tom in SoCal

3. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The problem with the separate dual oil coolers is that the oil is too cold under light load conditions. On a cool day with easy driving, the oil temp doesn’t even come up to the 140 deg. F mark with the water temp about 180 to 190. I think that’s why Ferrari integrated the oil cooler with the radiator.

4. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, I have low oil temps with this set up. Am toying with the idea of simply removing the leaking cooler from the circuit. Easy way is to simply block off the lines at the oil cooler fittings. That way the cooler is still in place for aesthetics. Early 330 GTC’s apparently had one cooler, then they went to two coolers, and eventually went to the integrated cooler for the later 330 GTC’s. This is per the 330 GTC As-Built configuration guide by Clete Gardenhour:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JimEakin and turbo-joe like this.
  5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    call me - ed montini

i just restored a car with 2 external oil coolers and did a great amount of research that hopefully i can help you

ill PM u my phone number

6. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    9411 has twin oil coolers.

7. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Ed. Will give you a call.

8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Ed,
    Did you ever consider/implement a thermostat control of some kind to raise the oil temp to a minimum? (For example, a densitometer is used in the 550 gearbox to control oil flow to the cooler.)

9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Jim: This is all really easy. Just block the air flow to one or both coolers by covering it with a sheet metal cover that you can secure to the cooler by bending and wrapping around the face of the cooler, or easier yet safety wire or zip tie a piece of cardboard over the cooler. You can adjust the amount of exposed cooler to achieve the desired oi temps. We did this in the early 70s to the cars and it worked great.

To my knowledge, GTC's never had only ONE cooler from the factory. It was NO cooler, then Twin coolers and then the cooler in the bottom of the radiator.

enio45 and V12addict like this.
  10. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, Dyke. I’ll give that a try.

11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    For future reference on these external oil coolers - you can buy them from moss motors, 99% exact to the orig conventry radiator coolers that are in the cars. Same as MG oil coolers. They are also cheap as compared to Ferrari parts.

Also - correctly pointed out by Dyke, yes cover the fronts to restrict the air flow and you will get the oil temp you are looking for.

Simply solution for sure.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Jim, Dykes cardboard suggestion is just like what you might've seen in my Roadster radiator last spring when I came up to your place.
    Very common, old school method to maintain proper temps in the radiators, especially +/- 100 years ago when most water cooled vehicles, farm equipment, etc didn't have thermostat controlled, pressurized cooling systems.
    I take it you've never driven a water cooled motor vehicle at "20+ below" ambient temperatures and have its engine overheat because the radiator is frozen enough to prevent adequate flow of coolant. ;)

JimEakin likes this.
  13. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I fabricated a hinged plywood flap for the radiator on my MGB (lived in Massachusetts at the time and it got cold in the winter). I simply slid it down in front of the radiator and air flow kept it in place. It covered about 80% of the radiator. On warmer days, I could flip the top flap down to open up more of the radiator to the air. That got me through many, many cold winters. Never failed. Sometimes the simplest solutions work the best.

JimEakin likes this.
  14. Dtrapp

Dtrapp Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Full Name:
    David M Trapp II
    If you want to overhaul your oil coolers look for your nearest aircraft engine rebuilder. They will know where to send the oil coolers for overhaul.

15. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    After Ed Montini confirmed that the coolers are the same as used on MGB’s, I then started wondering about the fitting sizes on the coolers and hoping they were standard 1/2” BSP, but knowing Ferrari wasn’t always consistent with parts on these old cars, I wanted to be sure. Should I just go ahead and disconnect the leaking cooler to check fitting type/measurement? As I was looking more closely at the coolers, I realized near the top of the non-leaking cooler (with a Mocal sticker on it), there was actually still a barcoded tag on the side. And guess what…the two part numbers on the tag correspond exactly to the 13-row oil coolers stocked by every MGB/British Leyland parts supplier out there. So I picked the one that could get me the cooler in one business day (we all like instant gratification, right?), and so I will be able to replace the leaking oil cooler this coming week. And based on the date stamped on the tag on the Mocal cooler, it was replaced back in the early 2000’s so hopefully it won’t need attention any time soon. Looks exactly like the one that is leaking that has the old Coventry tag on it. So, for $65 including shipping, I’ll hopefully have this little oil leak resolved. Damn cheap for a part for a Ferrari! And virtually identical to the original factory-installed coolers.

Oh, and I found a blanking cover plate for these coolers for only $20 on another site, so ordered that as well. Snaps on and off so will be useful to get the oil up to higher temps (especially in cooler weather) while still having both oil coolers connected and operating as per factory installation. So, total cost to fix leak plus allow higher oil temps will be less than $100….if I manage to not screw up the removal and replacement operation which is never a sure thing.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

16. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    send link to the blanking cover plate pls

17. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  18. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    fasthound likes this.
  19. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oil cooler and blanking plate both arrived. The blanking plate is actually plastic/vinyl with foam on the inside surface. Very easy to install on the cooler and the foam will keep it from rattling around and should keep 99% of the air from going through the cooler. Really nice pieces and all for under $90 including shipping!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

V12addict likes this.
  20. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well, I am just now finally getting around to oil cooler replacement (long story for another time) and have decided to pull the cooler oil lines and redo them and also clean up the "t-fittings" connecting the coolers to the oil lines. So...some questions for those of you with the twin oil cooler setup.

1) What is the proper finish/color on the steel "T-fittings" pieces that connect the upper and lower oil lines to the coolers? Black? Clear Zinc? Cadmium plating? I'm having a hard time finding photos at that level of detail and have no idea how these are supposed to be finished.

2) Should the oil lines themselves be stainless aeroquip-type lines or simply black cloth covered lines? I'm trying to make it look like a factory installation, so if anyone has an unmolested or correctly restored 330 GTC with twin oil coolers, I'd love to get some photos of your installation. My current oil lines are heavy duty black rubber with MADE IN USA on them so pretty easy to assume those aren't factory correct.

And in removing the steel fittings from the existing coolers, I discovered that the newer oil cooler has a stripped lower fitting, so I'll be buying another cooler as well. Not expensive and then I'll have two brand new oil coolers, so hopefully won't have any issues for at least a few years.

And I bought the correct "Coventry Radiator" stickers for them, so if I can get the oil line hose type and steel fittings finish/color correct, I'll be all set....at least on this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help/advise on these items.

Cheers,
    Kevin

21. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    T fitting - Cad plating

oil lines, they are stainless aeroquipe lines - NOT black cloth or rubber - , then u have to take the shine off of the stainless, i don't recall if we media blasted the stainless to give it the satin look or we used scotch bright pad.....either way the finish should be dull/satin

22. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks, Ed! Much appreciated.

23. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Ed. Yep, those are the tags I bought for the coolers….from your recommended source, I believe.

enio45 likes this.
  24. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin