Michael Andretti to takeover existing F1 team?? Reports . . . | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Michael Andretti to takeover existing F1 team?? Reports . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by pilotoCS, Aug 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Why start something new?

The Alfa that Andretti drove was an embarrassment too. :cool:

375+ likes this.
  2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Not winning any beauty contests, that car

3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    That's the sad joke...they haven't built a winning F1 car since the 1950s. The last winning car they built that I can remember was the 156 in German Touring Car racing.

tifosi12 likes this.
  4. vintagethunder

Jan 12, 2014
    Monmouth, IL
    > That's the sad joke...they haven't built a winning F1 car since the 1950s.

And that one (the 158/159) dated back to the 1930s!

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    With a $200M fee to enter F1, I can't believe that Sauber doesn't have a good value because they already have secured Alfa Romeo funding for the next few years.

Also, a lot of F1 teams came and go, disappeared, bankrupted, etc., but nowadays it's a different story, particularly with the tremendous reach that F1 has experienced in the last 5 years or so. A lot of young people who didn't care about F1 are now interested in it because of the young generation (Verstappen, Lando, etc.). Netflix also helped to attract more audience from the USA too. That means a F1 team is a tremendous platform to attract sponsors, manufacturers, etc.

As far as a I heard a few times, Sauber has a big problem with labour: it costs them twice of the equivalent UK worker and they have difficult to attract talent.

I would expect that Swiss or even EU private equity firms would be interested in buying Sauber.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Jenson Button mentioned Colton Herta a couple of times during FP3. Interesting . . .

7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep, there are rumors floating on the internet for 2022 of Herta taking a seat.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Herta to second seat at Sauber and Kyle Kirkwood takes his IndyCar seat would be fine with me :)

Nembo1777, Terra and pilotoCS like this.
  9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The consortium owning Sauber/Alfa has to agree to a sale. Andretti has interest. No one is saying an agreement is made at all. Of course this is behind the scenes for negotiation. They are only stating an offer is made. Team Leadership has no information as they are not consulted.

10. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Indeed. It seems that the real owner of Sauber is Finn Rausing. I am pretty sure that there will be people calling him to try to beat Andretti's offer.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The list of car companies that have not won is nearly endless, too.
    The list of car companies that have tried and not won is long.
    The list of car companies that have tried and won is quite small.

tifosi12 likes this.
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    So true.

And I applaud all the "losers" for at least trying. Whether that's Lamborghini, Toyota or Alfa. At least they tried.

13. DF1

Yes he could use Andretti as an offset in the face of the better offer. Such 'personal' inputs drive these negotiations lol.

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    So, Toto is basically telling investors F1 is a Ponzi scheme and to just "buy high, sell low". Wúnderbar...

Flavio_C likes this.
  16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Totally disagree. Didn't see that in there at all.

Quite the opposite. The future of F1 is bright financially.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Just bring this future potential to present value then.

18. Where in.....
    View attachment 3219448
    .....does one see.....
    ?????

What am I missing?

Edit: Sorry tifosi12; I just knee jerked a reply. 'Hadn't read your post yet.

tifosi12 likes this.
  19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Through inference...

So Toto said anyone selling now would be dumb, so that means anyone buying now would be pretty much guaranteed great returns in the imminent future.

He goes on to say, he would only sell later when all the changes have been put in place and benefits reaped by all teams, so that would mean as an insider, he knows when the peak is, so that means anyone buying then will be the ultimate bag holder.

bag holder = buying high, selling low = Ponzi scheme success for insiders who dictate the rules

Am I inferring too much?

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes. Not even close to a Ponzi scheme.

21. DF1

https://www.planetf1.com/news/michael-andretti-all-ears-f1/

Michael Andretti is said to be “all ears” should the “right opportunity come along”, but for now there is nothing new to report about his F1 interest.

Earlier this month reports emerged claiming that Andretti, the son of 1978 F1 World Champion Mario Andretti, is said to be considering buying a Formula 1 team, namely Alfa Romeo.

According to The Race, the American, himself a former F1 driver, could buy an 80 percent controlling ownership of Alfa Romeo Racing.

Should he do so, he would hand the second race-seat to IndyCar racer Colton Herta, putting him in the car alongside Valtteri Bottas.

Herta’s main sponsor Gainbridge would join Andretti Autosport to “take over” the Formula 1 team.

Andretti responded to the initial reports by telling Racer that it would “be great, but there’s a long way to go if it were to happen.”

22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Sounds like Toto is blowing hot air into the ballon until he can get out first...and at the best price.

freshmeat and Jack-the-lad like this.
  23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Disagree. Toto could get out at any time and be rich for the rest of his life. He doesn't need to inflate anything.

I'm not a Toto fan, but I believe him in this regard.

PS: What happened to F1 ownership/team managers in the recent years? It used to be a more or less British club (plus Ferrari and Sauber) yet in recent years, there is a ton of Austrian managers everywhere. At MB, AM and McLaren and I'm sure there are more.

24. Uuuuhhhh.....the way I see it.....yes. ;)

Just my take...........I read Toto's comment as just plain common sense business. But, what do I know.....??? Image Unavailable, Please Login

tifosi12 likes this.
  25. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Do you think any F1 team shows a profit at the end of the year? If so, from what?