Removing old head unit from a 1983 308 | FerrariChat

Removing old head unit from a 1983 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jimmy3993, Sep 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    Hi folks. My ancient Blaupunkt cassette deck has died and I'd like to replace it.
    But first I need to get it out of the car.
    The deck is one of the post varieties where you remove the knobs, a couple of nuts, and the deck should push out the back of the opening.
    My questions are -
    Do I need to take off the HVAC unit below the deck first? And if so, how is that done?
    Is this a crazy project for a novice to undertake?
    thx!

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    First off that's not an "HVAC unit" below the deck it's just a vent box and yea, you have to remove it. I did it about 3 or 4 years ago so don't remember the specifics, it's just some screws, not a big deal. There is not a lot of room there so you'll have to shoehorn the new unit in once you pry the old one out. I remember having a bit of an issue with the main wire harness crossing over from the fuse panels and there not being a lot of space for it.

Have fun.

Jimmy3993 likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You DON'T need to take the vents off.

And it is a 5 minute project suitable for a 5th grader

You got this. Trust me.

4. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    TY sir.
    Here is where I am so far - I popped the knobs off and unscrewed the little thin bolts holding the head unit in place on the front.
    I removed a face plate.
    I started to push the unit back to remove it and it got kinda stuck. Should I just keep going? Is there anything behind the headhunt that I can damage?
    TY in advance. Happy to send pictures if it might help.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I would have to see what you are doing.

The only thing I can tell you with 100% certainty is the car is set up to simply place and remove the radio in the slot from the front without removing ANYTHING else. The vents do not have to be touched.

I have swapped mine, pulled it out, etc 352,862,926 times. Maybe more.

It could be any number of things holding it back and just guessing I would say the wires and or antenna lead is grabbing something in there or are short.

Hard to say not being there.

6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    It sounds like his head unit is not a DIN style that slips in and out of a sleeve from the front rather it has two shafts and a central radio/cassette housing that push through the fascia from behind.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Ideally the radio is held in with a bracket in the back and not just supported by the face or knobs. Perhaps you need to undo a screw at the rear of the unit.

8. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    Yes mine is not a DIN style. It is the older kind with the two posts and the central radio cassette. It pushes through from the back and there two small circular holes for the posts and a rectangle in the center.
    Honestly I am thinking that I will just take it somewhere to get it done. As I try and push the unit out the back, there are a number of wires zip tied together running behind the unit. IDK if they go to the unit or to something else and I don't want to break anything.

9. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
  10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That is different from mine.

I thought they all had a full opening from the front.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have that same Tucson in my Alfa

12. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    yea I think I want to stay period correct. Once I get this one out I'll need to find another Blaupunkt or an alpine.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Get another Tucson

14. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    easier said than done. None for sale that I can find. Just one on Ebay that isn't working.

15. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Each of my first 2 cars (78 Triumph, 80 VW) had this same style of opening for a push button AM/FM radio. I think it was common for those openings to be cut out to DIN size later as that configuration sort of took over in the early 80s.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #16 308 milano, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    I would do as kcabpilot (Paul) suggested and remove the plastic ducting that’s attached to the two vents just below your stereo. That way you can see what’s behind it. I’m guessing it’s like every other stereo of that era and has a metal strap holding the back of it up in place. Where you see zip ties, I’m 90% certain it’s stereo wires.With that plastic ducting removed you can now disconnect the antenna lead, disconnect wiring from the back of the stereo and detach the metal strap at the back of the unit. Should just slide out from there.

I pulled the complete dash out of mine this last winter. It’s a pretty simple set up and there’s nothing behind that Area of the stereo except wiring harness tucked back in there, Metal bracing for dash and steering column and metal box for the three vents below the windshield which also distribute air to the two small vents below the stereo.

17. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C

Jimmy, this may help... forward to 7:50

18. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    Yes. I have that same thick trunk of wires running behind my head unit.
    I like the idea of a thinner radio as a replacement. I just need to figure out how to get the old one out of there.

19. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    https://www.facebook.com/VARoldschool

inquire what you want to this guy......he's very helpful and could repair a classic Alpine you find. I purchased a unit off of eBay and will send it to him to repair... if any leaks and worn bands.

20. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    dont you have the same cover? There you can see the holes where it’s attached to the other cover.

21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I haven't removed a double-post stereo since... gah, the 80's. But seems like it can't be much more than just disconnect the rear harness, remove the post bolts, the rear bracket bolt (if present), and slide it backwards.

Agreed on replacing with a DIN unit. You'll have to modify the opening for the faceplate, but ok.

22. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    yes prolly same cover piece. here is a picture of mine. But to remove the piece it looks like you would need to get at it from behind and it is already tight back there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Mine had been cut out for a single din prior to me getting the car. The good thing is once the cage has been installed you can simply fit an old two pin stereo into the cage. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've never looked but I'd imagine there's a good chance it's riveted rather than screwed on. So yea, it would be a real B to get out.

25. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If you haven't already done this, remove the feed tube to the AC vents. Just gently pull it off, and out of the way. The vent enclosure (always? usually? either way) riveted under the stereo cutout, but I don't see that moving it would accomplish much... it's not as if the stereo will drop out of the bottom.