car design thread | Page 516 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    ...agreed, and at least another 24" of wheelbase to give it the 'longer, lower, wider stance that we all love.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    wet dream? more like NIGHTMARE!!!!!

energy88 and 330 4HL like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    boxerman likes this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Funny thing is they are shooting for American taste, probably your next door neighbors. Well atleast the headlights are high enough to make Europeon regulators happy. You will see it just before you get logged between the grill bars.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    jm2 likes this.
  7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    of2worlds, 330 4HL, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Very cool interview on Autoline with Scott Anderson on the Ford Maverick -

jm2 likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Watching it now as we speak.

330 4HL likes this.
  10. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Hmmm. you say 'safety' and yet a part of me sees this...
    Should change the dynamics of 'wildlife impact' tho -

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 likes this.
  11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I think this can only be a leaked image of the long awaited April 1, 2022 press release.......

330 4HL likes this.
  12. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Good friend of mine posted this on facebook, and I had to share it here.
    A beautiful execution if there ever was one. Pure design in it's simplest form.

Ben Salvador
    The SHUCK DESIGN SPECIAL (the name I dubbed it): I met Jerry Shuck on the day he was hired. He walked into the GM Advance Concept Center in California with a scale model as he applied for a job as a Creative Sculptor. Solely based on the execution of the model, he was hired on the spot. I found out later that the model was a design of his own, of which he planned on building a running car.
    =AZW0UX1535-zVDQFEprRyA_qyHunNDStP0liI4-UwmSHnBqmeTuB97Ue1JQwSVfEcsoIqyCbICxyA3boTCV5qjgYhHwF7RuhYQ_SQlhu5_y078i4jpD6qWPJ-33N1HI6dkPrOiQhuQ9RnhTSMPJbY95ak6zT-XRci9o3wl_gocSINgPWe2e2g1O0mzaxTe6IwxM&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R']Over the years, he sent me pictures of the progress on the model that he was building in his garage. He did all of the fabrication himself, from the full-size clay stage and including laying up the carbon fiber body with the help of his wife, Kimiko. Jerry retired from GM the same year that I did and eventually built a house along the coast of Northern California. Before he moved, he invited a few friends to his garage to see the culmination of his 30 year project - a finished running car. It was stunning and we thought that the car world should see it.
    =AZW0UX1535-zVDQFEprRyA_qyHunNDStP0liI4-UwmSHnBqmeTuB97Ue1JQwSVfEcsoIqyCbICxyA3boTCV5qjgYhHwF7RuhYQ_SQlhu5_y078i4jpD6qWPJ-33N1HI6dkPrOiQhuQ9RnhTSMPJbY95ak6zT-XRci9o3wl_gocSINgPWe2e2g1O0mzaxTe6IwxM&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R']I’m not sure what plans Jerry has for it but I have a standing invitation to go for a ride in it along the Pacific Coast Highway. He sent me a full set of “studio photos” of the finished car but I am sharing only a few since I don’t know if he’s planning on publishing a book on its development.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki, Tenney, VigorousZX and 5 others like this.
  14. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Lola I'd like to introduce you to Countach... VERY nice!

A bit too geeky perhaps, but the chassis is beautiful -

Tenney, tritone and jm2 like this.
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The Shuck Design Special looks like a Larry Shinoda design project before it got simplified for possible production as a new Monza SS. The real inspiration though; ghosting a Chaparral race car!

Tenney and 330 4HL like this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Another new electric startup, the Indi One

IndiEV reveals electric car with a built-in gaming PC but not much else
    Another California EV startup with some baggage and a dream

By Sean O'Kane@sokane1 Oct 14, 2021, 5:01pm

There’s a new electric vehicle startup breaking cover in California, making bold claims and teasing pie-in-the-sky ideas while remaining guarded about its founder and origin story.

If that sounds familiar, it’s because it’s a story that’s been playing out on repeat the last half-decade. This time, it’s a company called IndiEV, which emerged from stealth mode Thursday with a small prototype electric car called the Indi One that it says will start at just $45,000 — a car it boldly says will launch at the end of 2022.

Parts of the script are the same: IndiEV wants to power the Indi One with a scalable lithium-ion battery pack (that can be adapted to fit more affordable or expensive models or future vehicles); It wants to take advantage of the extra room afforded by the simpler architecture of electric vehicles to do interesting things in the cabin; it blends a futuristic exterior with a somewhat minimalist interior.

like what Tesla is doing with the new Model S.

When pushed on the details, IndiEV shared that this “supercomputer” is merely a custom Windows PC with an i7 processor and an Nvidia RTX2080 graphics card. That’s not even top-of-the-line hardware, let alone a package that could in any seriousness be called a “supercomputer.”

[​IMG]
    1 of 9
    One of IndiEV’s marketing reps said during a Zoom briefing that the hope is that the dedicated rig can power “any triple-A game, any virtual reality game, any augmented reality game.” The company showed off what they said was a working, hand-built prototype of the vehicle that had two 15-inch touchscreens on the dash — one for the separate Linux-based vehicle information system and one for the PC under the hood — and illustrations of people using VR headsets in the back seat while being driven around.

The company’s reps talked about other funny uses, too, like filming drives with the interior and exterior cameras and then editing the footage and uploading it over — you guessed it — the car’s built-in 5G modem. At the very least, IndiEV’s claimed team of about 65 people has created an interesting engineering challenge for themselves, as the “supercomputer” is mounted under the car’s front hood. It’s packaged in a cooler-sized housing that will have to somehow withstand the radical temperature shifts and vibrations that come with driving a car — no easy feat.

Jing-Jin Electric, and battery cells from Chinese supplier Eve Energy.

What, exactly, has been funding all these efforts for the last four years? IndiEV’s head of operations, John Kennedy, declined to say. But the startup was founded by a Chinese mobile game entrepreneur named Shi Hai, court documents and state filings show, who started a company called Snail Games a little more than a decade ago.

There may be a reason why he’s not front and center: Shi and his ventures have been sued three times over claims of racist behavior, poor treatment of employees, and in one case, wrongful termination and wage theft.

In 2014, one of the top executives at Snail Games’ US division David Runyan sued the company and Shi, claiming the founder discriminated against non-Chinese employees and made derogatory statements. He also said in his complaint that “working for Shi Hai was extraordinarily difficult as he was a volatile individual who would often make decisions based on raw emotions and snap judgments.” The suit was ultimately settled.

sued the company, Shi, and a number of other founding executives over similar claims. In one alleged interaction, Shi told VanAmburg to fire her male subordinates and hire Chinese women because “Chinese women like to shop and are better negotiators,” according to the complaint. VanAmburg also alleged a number of safety code violations at IndiEV’s Los Angeles, CA facility. Her case wound up in arbitration.

Also in 2019, a woman named Meng Hua Lee sued Snail Games, Shi, and other executives. She stated in her complaint that she worked as a “gopher” for Shi and his wife, Ying Zhou, who was also CFO of Snail Games. Meng was technically employed through the gaming company but said she worked much longer hours driving Shi and Ying around on “work and personal business,” picking up dry cleaning and “retrieving luxury items on their behalf,” caring for the couple’s children at their Beverly Hills mansion, shopping, making travel arrangements, conducting “internet research,” translating, making doctor appointments, cooking and cleaning, and more. Meng claimed she was “on call” for 24 hours a day.

The company allegedly had Meng do many of these tasks for another executive for a telecommunications company affiliated with Snail Games, too, on top of her work for Shi and Ying. When Meng tried to get compensated for what she believed should be considered overtime work, Snail Games allegedly bucked. Meng also alleged that Shi often treated her in “a hostile and disparaging manner,” including telling her not to have children because she would end up “dedicating her life” to him.

run operations at the mansions Faraday Future founder Jia Yueting bought on the Pacific Ocean.

For what it’s worth, IndiEV is at least now trying to engage with the public about what it’s doing, as opposed to something like fellow California EV startup Alpha Motors, which has done nothing to date to prove it’s not some kind of joke or scam. But like many other EV startups to emerge from California in recent years know well — from Faraday Future to Fisker Inc. to Karma Automotive — IndiEV likely has an incredibly hard road ahead.

anunakki likes this.
  17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've been thinking about electric car startups. The problem with them is that even if they've got a good idea for a product or a novel technology, they're at a huge disadvantage to the big car companies who have established supply lines, manufacturing infrastructure, dealership networks, brand awareness, etc.

Is the point of an electric car startup similar to that of the biotech startup? Have a good idea, develop it just enough to look viable, and then sell everything as a going concern to a large company which has the resources to support the product to market?

Will many of these electric car startups become small divisions (or just absorbed entirely) into the Fords, GMs, Toyotas, and VAGs of the world? It seems to me like it'll either be that or they'll get overtaken by the internal R&D of the big car companies and left for dead.

All the best,
    Andrew.

energy88 and jm2 like this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    All good questions, Andrew.
    If the business model/product doesn't offer some advantage/benefit why bother?
    Everyone including investors all want to be 'the next Tesla'. Good luck. He pulled it off with sheer determination, luck & personality.
    It will get interesting as the 'Johnny come latelys' all vie for position. There isn't enough room for them all. Some will succeed, others won't.
    Take a glance at the early 1900's and all the startup car companies that existed. Now try to find how many survived to fight another day.

boxerman, anunakki, tritone and 2 others like this.
  19. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Also... the minimalist interiors of most electric vehicles suck. They evoke about as much passion and creature comfort as a dishwasher.

They could at least make the insides look less like a base model European hatchback you pick up from Enterprise or Europcar at Gatwick International Arrivals. The only difference is the enormous tablet glued to the dashboard. It's like interior stylists have completely given up trying to make humans feel luxury... on cars that can cost $70,000.

I really hope this isn't the future direction for all car interiors.

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Your observation makes me laugh.
    My son bought a Tesla, and was extolling the virtues of the interior design........or lack thereof.
    I told him I was too old to 'get it'. :rolleyes:

21. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Some friends of mine bought a Model 3, loaded up to $68k. It's the most expensive car they've ever bought and they're absolutely in love with every little bit of it.

They took me out for a ride in it, and the straight line performance is impressive. However, the car panicked when someone pulled out in our path - my friend indicated, checked it was clear, and then was moving into the other lane to clear them when the Tesla slammed on the brakes automatically, which meant the car in the lane we were changing into nearly rear ended us. I wasn't keen on that at all.

Also, while the seats are soft and supportive, the rest of the interior has absolutely no character. It's all about the central tablet and the things you can do on it... play a game, something skin to Microsoft Paint, make fart sounds come from the seats, indicators, or horn, etc. It's like the experience inside the car was targeted to impress 7 year olds.

I didn't tell my friends all my thoughts though. I found areas I could compliment, congratulated them, and made sure I didn't say much on areas I hated.

All the best,
    Andrew.

anunakki, tritone and jm2 like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Tenney likes this.
  23. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Looks a lot like my Ford Edge - I like it. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Not bad. Needs a bigger grille and the Lexus is weirder. (partial disclosure - kinda dig the Aztec)

jm2 likes this.
  25. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My gut says none of them will be successful on their own, like Tesla. A few like Rivian will eventually get absorbed by the larger manufacturers they are working with. Which, I guess, is a success for the stock holders.

But i dont see any of them being their own successful brands in the future.