Why don't you wash your own car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why don't you wash your own car?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by DiamondDog, Sep 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Any interest for those that like washing cars to have a Meetup,at my,house in OC to wash cars together. Warning chiparhina and wine may be involved along with fried food

Jakuzzi, Regular Guy 01 and jc1 like this.
  2. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Had the day off, was able to wash 3 cars. Nothing fancy, just meguairs carnuba wash, but still satisfying to see all nice and clean
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

E60 M5 and DiamondDog like this.
  3. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I quick tip I heard from Maguiars:
    If your car is well waxed, take the sprayer off the hose and just run water down the car and >80% of the water will collect and run off leaving less to dry.

If the wax is depleted, and the paint wets, it won't help much.

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Still laughing at this!

5. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    #31 c8spidey, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    or fill a bucket with clean water and slowly pour over car-it eliminates beading

7. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    :D:D:D

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Jakuzzi likes this.
  9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    jm2 likes this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Ak Jim likes this.
  11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Don’t do it, too lazy.

12. BobH

BobH F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert H
    I wash the 599 only in the rain. Our town water is so hard, no matter how quickly you get back to squeegeeing it off, it leaves outlines in the finish. I've tried any number of spray on solutions at rinse or post wash but in the end it winds up requiring a full polish There are even marks on the glass.

Sine the toy is seasonal I get a mid year detail. Here in the northeast it rains frequently enough for me to keep it respectable.

13. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You need a 0 ppm filter for rinsing

14. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Yes, here in the northeast and have same hard water problem--true need a 0 ppm filter system.
    I now have the CR spotless system-no more spots,works great-delivers 0 ppm.

15. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    #40 DiamondDog, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    If anyone tells you you can filter to 0 ppm without reverse osmosis, run. Even reverse osmosis will leave some TDS. People also don't understand the difference between TDS and Water Hardness. They are not the same. Softened water still can have high TDS, but since the hardness is reduced it's doesn't leave spots. It's hardness you should be concerned with when washing your car

The CR system is a water softener. One that doesn't regenerate. Why someone would pay this much for it is beyond me. You have to replace the resin often because it doesn't regenerate like your home system.

Better off pulling softened water from you home. It regenerates and will cost pennies per use.

People love to scam people with water filtration. I used to work for Pentair Filtration Everpure) BTW and had to educaate so many people that were scammed by ridiculous claims by filtration salesmen. Magnets, oranges, etc. All snake oil.

To the person wasing their car in rainwater....don't. Rainwater is acidic.

If you get high mineral water off your car (you don't let the sun bake the droplets and leave spots) you will be fine. If you get a lot of rain, sounds like it's not that hot outside. I wash my car in 340 ppm TDS water and there are no spots or etching on it

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    This is not true. PPM would indicate TDS. Grains indicstes hardness. Worry about hardness

If have hard water coming into a softner, it actually leaves with more TDS than it started with. Yet it doesn't leave spots. How? Because the hardness is reduced. Specifically Calcium hardness. It does this by exchanging sodium ions with calcium ions through the resin. Then it recharges with the salt solution.

17. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Don't do this. Rainwater is acidic. It also catches pollutants as it falls through clouds and the atmosphere.

Ever hear of the term acid rain?

18. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi, you certainly know more than i do on this topic lol

The 0ppm filter is what its marketed as
    As what it refers to i simply dont know and imagine you are correct lol

19. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    This I why I don't wash my car...
    Too much info to sort out...
    I liked the world better when I was ignorant...
    Fat, dumb and lazy - its worked so far!!!

20. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    This is very technical but having very hard water and my water treatment company-always treating and have salt tank,etc-- advised me to try an a system to remove spotting as they had no real solution.
    So, now have the CR system and now for the first time wash my car and blow dry and when done have zero spots.--really don't care about the cost to replace resins when that occurs.-supposedly when the 0ppm meter tells me to.
    But so far so good.

21. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    You CR system and your home system are both water softeners. I am basing this on you mentioning salt. TDS is every mineral and solid in your water. Some of those are not bad Hardness is what is bad, but only if you let it sit and dry. It's measured in Grains. If you had hard water but wiped down your shower door everyday, you would not have spots. The spots occur because you leave it. Or you get a softer to treat so you don't have to wipe. When. You wash you car, you wipe it right? I wash my car with hard water (434 ppm TDS and about 22 Grains Hardness) and don't have issue. Because I wipe it off.

The CR system is not bad for your car. Let me give you an analogy. You have an empty refrigerator. But you decide to keep soft drinks in a cooler and use ice you buy from the store when it melts. This is what you are essentially doing.

Water threatment is super simple. Basically there is mechanical filtrstion. Like a screen. Smaller the holes. More it filters. For practical home application, mechanical filtrstion can not filter out minerals. Then there is Reverse Osmosis. This filters out minerals. But is very slow and not practical with consumer units. Then there is softening. Softening is not filtrstion. It exchanging ions so that the calcium ions become sodium ions. The calcium creates the scale. Within softening you can get a salt system where you add salt and it regenerates. Or you can get a sealed cartridge system that salesmen love to sell you because they make a ton of money on you for the change outs and frequency of those.

I used to give away cartridge systems if customer would sign a contract to change catrtidges with us. Money is made in cartridge changeouts.

Water treatment at home or for washing cars is super simple. Anyone that tries to make it more complex is trying to make extra money off you. It's ok as long as you are informed.

22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I still feel my solution is the best

A few gallons of distilled water in my portable power washer for the rinse

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

23. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    this will work. Distilled water doesn't have minerals in it either.

24. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I dont think its fair to say the CR system is equivalent to a typical salt based home softener.

From what i understand the CR system is basically a home DI system. Both use resin exchange but not same resin.

DI systems produce essentially pure distilled water. Used in industrial applications. Typically you see them part of the process post an RO system. So it has very pure water to start with and the DI provides that last bit of refinement. Going only DI will be simple and effective at the cost of much more frequent resin exhaustion.

25. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    #50 DiamondDog, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    DI is similar to softening. You can use salt, potassium , chemicals etc to charge a resin bed. . Some manufactures even use oranges. Ha ha. The resin is charged with something to exchange ions . It's not exactly softening but for the sake of car washing, it's similar.

It's not the same as distilled water. It's easy to prove this. Put a TDS meter in distilled water. It will read 0. Put a meter in the water coming out of the CR system It won't be 0.

The key point is, unless you are washing your car in direct sun and letting water dry into your car and not wiping it off, all of this filtration and water treatment is unecessary . This is not a slam on the CR system. I have a very expensive and complex water treatment system in my home. I use unfiltered water out of a hose to wash my car and it looks better than when it was brand new. I simply don't wash it in direct sun or let water dry on it.

The other key point is if you have a softener in your home, it was be so much cheaper to use that water to wash your car than the cr system and get the same result.