No Love for stock F8 Wheels? | FerrariChat

No Love for stock F8 Wheels?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SJU, Oct 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    Seems like most bypass the stock design in gloss or matt and strongly prefer the forged. The stock looks more classic modern Ferrari to me....

MorgsAU and Cigarzman like this.
  2. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I personally think all of the factory options for the F8 are ugly. I went with the diamond cut, but ended up immediately replacing them with aftermarket wheels.

JesseRohr, Gh21631, releod and 2 others like this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yea, it's a tough decision. I vacillated literally for months and just prior to going 10R, I selected dark-painted forged wheels. I don't love the style, being forged wheels are lighter and stronger than cast, and for the purist, they are OEM. I may have them powder coated satin black and see how well that might please my eye (my car is status 30 as of today). Otherwise, there's always the option to replace them with an aftermarket set.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    Stock design seems too thin/less substanial but optional forged is at the other end of the spectrum (aggressive/distracting)...

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I got the stock (free wheels )as I was not impressed with the pizza pie wheels. I did buy the diamond cut wheels on my old 488 though.

6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I had the pizza style wheels all ready to go, but decided at the last minute to go with the stockers after reading Kirk’s earlier message. Wasn’t super crazy for them anyway, and I don’t want to have buyers remorse.

I’ll change them out down the road. I like the 21”/22” combination and since I won’t be racing or tracking, it’ll be just for show, and a little for the go…….

Chizz likes this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    A first for me. I’ve never heard the words free and Ferrari used in the same sentence before now.

LVP488, jm2, Mikael-F360 and 4 others like this.
  8. MorgsAU

MorgsAU Rookie

Feb 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm agreed.... don't see many with them though!

9. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    The diamond cut forged wheels arent bad but the stock wheels, while “classic”, look more at home on a VW GTI or Civic Type R. Almost like the design team in Maranello threw in the towel after toiling day and night for weeks on end perfecting the F8 body and interior :)

rw99 likes this.
  10. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    Ya, no effort required as a carry-over from 488.

11. Plife

Plife Karting

Oct 6, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I ordered the stock basic ones because they look fine and are easy to clean… but also knowing me ill prob replace them with something so figured why pay twice. The forged option isnt really that light for the price and im not too crazy about it.

12. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Here I go again… maybe I’m just a fan of the car or I need to be more picky. I like the brilliant silver forged wheels. I think they are “classic” for the F8. I don’t prefer the after market looks. I believe Ferrari designers nailed the right look for the F8.

AD211, Cigarzman and stretchgeneral like this.
  13. Plife

Plife Karting

Oct 6, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Yeah its not bad
    Heres my spec

14. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Plife and Chizz like this.
  15. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I much prefer the standard rims from a nice simple classic Ferrari pov. I can't bring myself to like the optional forged ones and I feel the same about the star ones on the 812. Does anyone know for a fact how much lighter the F8's optional forged rims are compared to the standard cast ones.?

16. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I searched extensively but could not find a definitive answer. I do recall reading somewhere that the front wheels are 2 pounds lighter, and the rear wheels are 2.5 pounds lighter.

17. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    The carbon fiber wheels are the lightest. Anyone spec those?

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  20. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I agree on pista wheels. Are those available aftermarket and if so what is the cost $USD. I’m thinking of doing that if an option.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can find them via Eurospares, or your dealer can order them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Dapuma

Dapuma Rookie

Sep 22, 2021
    If you don't like the stock wheels with the F8, are most people selling them (is there a market for ugly stock wheels) or keeping them in case they sell the vehicle - I wouldn't want to waste the storage space, however is there value in saving them. It seems like you cannot swap out the F8 for the Pista wheels at the dealership when ordering.

23. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I got the base wheels with my F8 spider as I felt like they looked the best. However going to replace them with a different set of wheels when summer comes around. Will run OEM wheels for winter, and upgraded wheels for summer.

I looked at the carbon fiber wheels, but the price point was eye watering.