F430 Rear main seal! Still buy? | FerrariChat

F430 Rear main seal! Still buy?

Discussion in '360/430' started by V8haha, Oct 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V8haha

V8haha Rookie

Mar 13, 2021
    Summit county
    Full Name:
    Ian Thorley
    Hello

I’m looking at an 07 spider with 13k miles

rear main seal is leaking.
    Typically i would still buy the car however this is a ferrari is that a sign that most of the gaskets are shot on the car and i will have more issues moving forward?

looking for advice.
    Also what type of discount would i be looking for since the rear main is leaking?

2. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    F1 gearbox? that would be gearbox out deal (actually no matter what gearbox) , so you might as well inspect/replace clutch while you are there...

I would get a quote for clutch replacement and take that money out of asking price, and buy it if all else checks out...

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Unless you enjoy diving down a rabbit hole of expensive maintenance, whatever discount you can wangle is probably not going to be enough to cover it. It might only be the seal but it could also involve changing the clutch (unless it's nearly new), and a hundred other "should do" things while the car is in pieces.

An expensive sports car being sold with a heavy maintenance requirement is a good sign that many things that should have been done, probably haven't. These cars get expensive fast if brought to a shop.

If you're a DIY guy and look at this as an exciting project, then go for it. Otherwise, the sage advice I follow is:

"Buy the absolute best Ferrari you can afford."

and

"The cheapest Ferrari is going to be the most expensive."

Good luck!

NYC Fred, Loxo, jag-oo-r and 3 others like this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is not an easy job, nor is it DIY job unless you are really hard-core. The cost for that at any independent will be $3,000

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I love the caveat at the beginning of this statement. Typically we hear only the latter part of this, but in fact there are many things which are within grasp of a DIY guy, that can save multiple thousands of dollars. For some of us, the DIY is an important part of the ownership experience.

That said: I'm "hardcore", and would still think carefully about a rear main seal in my own garage. If the cost for an indy shop to do so is less than $5k, i'd probably go that route. But as for the other, ancillary things which may've been neglected, I don't think it'd scare me away from the car, if you're a DIY'er.

armedferret and EastMemphis like this.
  6. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Love this, and very much agree! If price is right and takes into account the work required, a diy'r can come out very far ahead with a car like this!

one4torque and jag-oo-r like this.
  7. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    OP never replied, so this has just become another socializing thread :)

one4torque, EastMemphis and jag-oo-r like this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Seeing a lot of pcar vs fcar which should I buy threads as well…. Bored car people?

Or should I buy a coupe.. ?

guess people are bored

9. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    yeah, this working from home has brought a lot of attention to forums :)

PeterS and armedferret like this.
  10. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rear main seal failiure is common on very low mileage cars like this. Budget for cam cover gaskets as well.

At the same time, I would replace the clutch release bearing seals and the crank spigot bearing. Clutch should be OK but check it.

Other than the above, if the numbers stack up there is no other reason not to proceed.

sparetireless, ScottS and jag-oo-r like this.
  11. V8haha

V8haha Rookie

Mar 13, 2021
    Summit county
    Full Name:
    Ian Thorley
    Hello

thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately the owner was not willing to move from his asking price so looks like the deal is dead.

still on my search for a F430 Red spider F1

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's incredible that a seller wouldn't budge for such an obvious problem. Good luck with your search.

13. Jackson32

Jackson32 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    North Carolina, U.S
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Unless you get a quote for almost $12K for such a job as I did. from an independent. My buddy said we could doing it wrong 3 times and still come out cheaper than the quote I got.

o_O

NYC Fred likes this.
  14. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    As an independent, I don't do rear main seals as a stand alone. When you go that far and put the same parts back in, any issue that comes up after that is on us.
    It is not cheap, but I have zero plans to go back in or have to explain to Mr. Xxxxx that we didn't do that to save you money and now you have to pay twice.
    I will advise a client to watch an issue if I think it can be taken care of later. Maybe when he is doing a big service or in some cases, on the next engine out.
    I feel like anything that is an issue down the road comes back on me. I want my client to know everything about there car, even if it is not addressed at that time.

Red 27 and Jackson32 like this.
  15. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    All 430 blocks will eventually leak at the oil/water pump. Front cover is weakest one. Almost all have leaks there. Rear not so common. Cam covers weak as well.
    All jobs are quite doable at home. I would replace all gaskets mentioned above anyway.

16. GTuned

GTuned Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2019
    It is indeed good advice. The only really upsetting part though is when you pay the "correct" price for a car that appears perfect and then issues appear you may lose out (financially speaking).

Sometimes and for some people, knowing you're in for a fix or two (and some more preventative items whilst you're at it) and the price you pay reflects this, you can end up with a good deal. You might even be able to punch above your budget's weight and get a newer/better etc model car that is showing signs of issues but as time passes you will gather up the budget down the line to get them resolved. All cars will eventually develop the common issues that will need addressing down the line anyway and buying a zero issue car with nothing ever done to it will only mean you will have to address those issues at some point, right?

17. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    GTuned said:
    All cars will eventually develop the common issues that will need addressing down the line anyway and buying a zero issue car with nothing ever done to it will only mean you will have to address those issues at some point, right?

Completely true !
    Deferred maintenance is one of the biggest issues I see with cars in my shop. I will add this. Many times the car has a good service history but it is all performed by a shop that is not familiar with Ferrari. That leads to issues that are not addressed because the shop just doesn't know to look. Sometimes the work done is not acceptable and leads to future issues. I see this a lot with silicone sealer, many shop just feel like the client has paid for the whole tube of sealer and they use it all. I have spent hours cleaning silicone from engines and parts. I have pictures of some unbelievable amounts of sealer used.

It is always a good idea to have a car checked by someone that knows what they are looking at. The money spent for this is well worth it in the long run. Even if you chose not to buy that car.

f355spider and GTuned like this.
  18. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    It didn’t deter me from buying mine. I did however get a great deal on my 05 spider. My rear main has a very minor leak in it (I never see any leakage on the floor or weeping from the undertray. I figured I would replace it when I do the clutch. Although I’m at 15,000 miles with 60% clutch life remaining. (So it may be a hot second before that gets done)

19. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Is it a leak, or a seap, or a weep?

How many drops of fluid come out per day?

If its not a leak, who cares. They all get oily and it has no effect on anything.

20. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It depends on what you're happy with but personally I want a dry engine without oil film anywhere.

AandSC and CoreyNJ like this.
  21. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I get that, but unless its new, one with some oil film from use will be a cheaper car to own. After 15 years and its bone dry, its going to be a money pit. IMHO>

actually they are all money pits, but fun.

Jackson32 likes this.
  22. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Can't argue with the last part :)