Roof Failure error message | FerrariChat

Roof Failure error message

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by patatty, Jun 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patatty

patatty Rookie

May 22, 2012
    I seem to get these fairly frequently, along with an annoying periodic beep. When I open and close the roof, the error message goes away. I called the dealer and their nonchalant response was just to say if the roof is still working, what are you complaining about?

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Where are you located?

3. patatty

patatty Rookie

May 22, 2012
  4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Get this looked at right away. Do not use (leave it in whatever position it is in) the roof anymore.

My roof failed and damaged its self when it folded opened (guide pins dented top of roof). After a tense waiting period, FNA covered the damage under warranty otherwise I'm sure a serious bill. I only got one warning that there was a problem, don't push your luck.

Turned out pump fluid was low/leaking, easy fix otherwise.

Good luck.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I had one failure in my first Cali, the 2010. It was a Hall Effect sensor and was easily troubleshot and replaced at the dealer. I agree, leave it up or down, wherever it is now and let the dealer troubleshoot it. No failures with the top in my 2012, so that's 50,000 Cali miles total with only one component failure since late 2009.

Rick

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have had the roof failure on my 2013 several times the adjustments were ok and the pump was ok . So it was decided that I needed to charge my battery ..which I did and I have found that seems to take care of it.. I drive my car every day but sometimes it is only a few miles ..

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Do you move your top with the engine off? I always start the Cali before raising or lowering the top. At car shows I will put it up & down a dozen times with no trouble, starting the Cali first of course.

Rick

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    No only with the engine running...

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I have a roof noise issue. Even over relatively smooth roads, there are numerous creaks. When I go over a speed bump, it sounds like a "wap" sound, as if the roof is jumping up and down.

There must be something that can be done to adjust it. So far, two visits and it's still there. Other California owners I know report no noise, everything tight. Is that the consensus? i.e. this is not normal, and should be fixable, right?

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    No sounds from my roof... Probably need to poke around while in motion to localize the sound... Tho after my last service I would swear they changed the software driving the roof closing seems faster now...

SV

11. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    On my 2011, I developed a few creaks and an occasional pop. FOSV lubed and adjusted the top to remove the causes of the noises.

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Never happened in either of my Cali's

Rick

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ERROR MESSAGES
    There should not be any "Roof failure error messages" or else every Cali owner would be getting them, wouldn't we? I used to design and write software for controlling factory robots and error messages were always coded in the software to deal with known conditions, none of which are normal. It is not black magic. Each error message has well-defined conditions for their being displayed or reported.

So if your car get keeps getting these messages, the dealer needs to find the cause and sort that out.

SMALL NOISES FROM THE ROOF PANELS
    As for noises from the retractable roof, mine had an alignment problem caused by improper assembly at the factory and it caused a dent on my roof panel as well as made some horrible noises. My dealer sorted that out and it's working smoothly now.

Other noises you may hear when you go over bumps may be cause by slight movement of the rear roof panel (with the rear glass) sits over the rear cover which opens when stowing the roof panels.

You have to realize the retractable roof is not rigidly fixed to the car. It has to move. It also has to sit on the rear cover without damaging it so it cannot clamp down on it with "irresistible force". Therefore it can shift slightly if the car is jolted. What you may be hearing is a "dry" rubber seal shifting on the rear cover.

You can apply some "Gummi Pfleger" or rubber seal protectant on those parts to cure that source of potential noise. These protectants restore the suppleness of the rubber seals. Regular cars, even very rigid sport sedans, have the same issues with the seals in their door or sunroof. All car openings use rubber seals to prevent water from entering while avoiding damage from 2 unconnected hard objects being in contact while the car is going over bumps. Those seals can dry out or collect dirt over time - you have to maintain them.

BIG NOISES
    However, if you hear a big "clack" or "bang" when you go over bumps, it's likely there is a large gap between panels or a loose object that needs fastening.

14. BeachDad

BeachDad Rookie

Jan 10, 2016
    I've been getting regular roof failure signals...always when the roof is up. Can someone tell me how to check the hydronic fluid to make sure is not low?

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    In the trunk you will see a small panel on the left side, if you open that up, that is where you would find any leaking hydraulic fluid.

However, if the roof is completing the open or closing cycle and then you are getting a "roof failure" message once it's done, it's more likely that one of the Hall sensors is bad.

I have gone through this with my top recently, they just replaced one of the sensors and it seems to be okay now. But the top would operate correctly, and either I would get the failure message as soon as the roof closed, or I would get it sometimes going over bumpy roads with the roof open or shut. Definitely did not seem to be related to the actual mechanics of the top.

Can be difficult to trouble shoot because it is intermittent. On my car, they took their best guess at which sensor to replace and so far, so good.

16. SwedenPeter

SwedenPeter Rookie

May 9, 2013
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Dahlstrom
    where is the hydraulic oil tank for the roof on my Cali 2011 ???