330 GTC Rear speakers | FerrariChat

330 GTC Rear speakers

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by todaxyz, Dec 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #1 todaxyz, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm connecting up my period radio that wasn't wired. I suppose the PO just put the radio in for looks. Anyway, I want to drop in a pair of speakers in the rear package shelf in the stock locations but can't figure out how to pull the package shelf. I did the obvious and removed the luggage strap tie downs. I've tugged, pushed and pulled on the rear buttress that runs across the back between the package shelf and carpet but it doesn't want to move. Anybody out there that has done this before that can help instruct me how to pull this off? I imagine the is the only way to drop in speakers since the speaker enclosoures are solid metal boxes so installing speakers from the trunk is not possible.

Thx, Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Mine has 2 screws where the pad meets the carpet under where the straps go. I do not see them in your picture. The screws are in a tab that is under the pad. On my car they are visible and have large washers under them. If I remember to bring home my camera I will take a picture.
    Good luck,
    Terry Phillips

3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Tom,

Carefully look for any vertical cuts in the carpet where it goes up under the vinyl padded bar. There should be two metal tabs each with a screw in them under the carpet. On mine you could pull back the carpet at these vertical cuts to access the screws. As Terry said they should be about where the luggage straps are.

4. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great, thanks guys for the hints. I'll take another run at it with this advice.

Tom

5. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    On a 330 2+2, the back of the package shelf has studs that stick down into the trunk area. There are wing nuts that have to be removed. Not sure if this applies to a GTC, but something to keep in mind.

6. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Terry, Steve,
    I pulled the carpet back and looked where you instructed and found the two screws. Great, thanks! The padding came off after that, but now have another question. The rear deck wants to come out, but the fuel filler door release handle appears to be attached to the rear deck. I thought it would have stayed in place allowing me to lift the rear deck above it, but that's not the case. The left side is free and clear, but the right side barely moves and when I tug on the rear deck, the handle moves with it. There's no clearence for me to look under the rear deck and from the trunk, the handle mechanism is too far forward for me to see. Any hints for my next step?

Tom

7. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Look inside the trunk up under the rear edge of the shelf in the center left to right. In my car there is a bolt here. It has been a few years since I had mine out but I think this bolt needs to be removed. You may be able to lift up the shelf cover slightly from inside the car and use a flashlight and see if you can see anything.
    Good luck,
    Terry Phillips

8. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Were you able to remove the package shelf?

9. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OK…so I need to remove my rear shelf on 1967 330 GTC. This thread is confusing to me. Do I need to remove the padded bar first and if so, how? Also, my luggage strap tie-downs don’t want to come off…the screws/bolts just turn, but don’t come up, so I’m assuming there are nuts under them under the deck, but I don’t see them from the trunk? Anyone care to provide step-by-step instructions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

10. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I removed my rear shelf many years ago, so I will test my memory, but I just removed the padded bar a couple of months ago to remove the rear shocks. Attached is a poor photo of the tabs that others are referencing, these hold the padded bar on. My tabs are exposed and by the looks of my original carpet and upholstery, probably always were.

Remove the bar by removing the 2 aforementioned screws. The bar is hooked on a horizontal sheet metal lip, so just lift it straight up, it may take some wiggling to release it from the C pillar side pads.

The luggage loops are attached to the vinyl covered shelf board and do not need to be removed to get the shelf out.

I seemed to remember removing the C pillar pads, and maybe some other trim, but I forgot. Simple enough though.

There might be some screws that hold it down from inside the trunk, I forget.

I do remember that the gas flap release mechanism is also attached to the board from the inside and stopped the shelf from just coming out. I remember getting to the screws was difficult, I think I remember loosening the pull cable, but can't be sure.

Be careful with the black lever knob, mine was brittle and cracked, very difficult to replace.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I meant to say that the gas flap release mechanism is also attached to the underside of the board.

12. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin

Thank you for this! I will give it a try today!!

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Kevin.....what is your task you are taking on with the removal of the rear deck? New speakers? If so what kind will you install? I don't have any speakers in the two "wells" and at some point I need to install decent versions.

Hopefully you are successful in the removal of the back deck. I have done it a few times in the 2 GTCs I have cared for.

14. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I’m installing a bezel for the gas filler door release lever. I suppose I could just drill a couple of holes slightly smaller than the studs and tap it into place without removing the shelf, but would prefer to bolt it in properly.

The photo is from classicperformancerestoration.com. I have finished the part by rounding out the edges and painted it satin black as per photos in the Clete Gardenhour 330 GTC As-Built Configuration Guide (reference page from guide included below)

Attached Files:

15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I need to find one of the black knobs for the fuel release. Any idea where to get one?

16. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sorry, but no idea. Given the state of 3D printing, I would think that it would be “relatively” easy to have a part scanned and then print a new one in a reasonably similar color?

17. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    SCantera likes this.
  18. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Regarding the gas door lever knob, I believe it is the same knob used on the choke lever, in fact I think some of the mechanism is the same. I ended up making my own knob, by hand, from a piece of black plastic. I used my old cracked one as pattern. I would think that 3D printing is the way to go now.

SCantera likes this.
  19. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin

Well….from inside the trunk I can see the sharp tips of the two sheet metal screws going through the rear bulkhead exactly where the tabs are, but there are no slits in the carpeting under the padded bar. I can feel the indentations under the carpet where the screws are, but the carpet is glued down. Only thing I can figure is they screwed in the tabs, then put some glue on the edges of the carpet at the top and tucked it up under the bar. I have zero desire to either put holes in the carpeting, nor pull/rip down the carpeting and try to re-glue it….I am not a trimmer by aptitude and I know I’d screw it up (no pun intended).

Does anyone have a truly unmolested original 330 GTC that could check and see if trim screws are visible just below the rear padded bar? If that’s how they came from the factory I wouldn’t mind cutting small “X’s” in the the carpet to get the screws out and then put proper matching trim screws back in place over the carpeting. I just hate the idea of messing up perfectly good three year old carpeting.

You just have to love old cars, right?

Meanwhile I did manage to procure and install a brand new throttle return spring, so that’s a plus! The old one was quite stretched out. Why it wasn’t replaced in the last few years when significant engine work was done, I don’t know.

Attached Files:

20. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    black knobs are avail thru mr fiat......

SCantera likes this.
  21. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Grazie!!

22. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I also recently put new speakers i my GTC. I found these speaker trays that really alter the sound. I didn't want to remove them or alter the car in anyway but since there are made of plastic the speakers have a bad refection from them..