Talk me out of ordering an SF90 Spider | FerrariChat

Talk me out of ordering an SF90 Spider

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by buddyg, Oct 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have not been real fond of the looks of this SF90. However I got an email from my dealer that SF90 orders have to be in by the end of the month. (maybe just coupes) It will take 2 years to get a spider if I order one so I figure I can change my mind and probably make money. Right now the coupes are selling for 1 million and the spiders would be more. That of course could change if things get back to normal.

I have the oh **** if I want to order one now's the time thing going on. Plus 1000hp!!

Am I going to love it?

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Order it. The rear is the most challenging for me but the front is beautiful. The sound is average. But if you can shell out $700k without worrying about it, go for it. Even if things go back to normal you should still be ok value wise.

Thecadster and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #3 ryalex, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    My take is the worst case scenario -- assuming the market is not as strong -- if you don't enjoy it after arrival you would get your money back but might lose some of the taxes and registration. If things are even close to this then it's a win just to order it. You could come out way ahead.

For Nevada, that would be around $56k in sales tax and $11-14k in registration.

I'm with Menasce, if you have an F8 now, order the SF90. It's going to sound the same or better and be a lot more car.

Did you get to the road show tour?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster likes this.
  4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    On the other hand, the technology is new for Ferrari. There has been and will be, teething problems since the car is excessively complex. It is the dawn of the era of hybrids that will only improve. What about this model will be deemed special or more valuable once the superior hybrids appear. The aesthetics, while subjective, is not a universal winner. The Pista, for example, is an end of era car that is far more aesthetically pleasing. Value appreciation would make the Pista a better investment. Chris Harris is not at all impressed by the appearance of the SF90 or the driving dynamics which he claims is clearly inferior to the F8. Harris believes the SF90 is an unfinished product that will continue to undergo improvement.

ryalex likes this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Harris didn't like the 765 either, but I reckon you might disagree with him on that one. Why should we take his words seriously now?

D11, Divexxtreme and manya81 like this.
  6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Many do take Harris seriously and respect his expertise.

ryalex likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I say order it. Did your dealer give you an ETA if you order a coupe? 12 months?

ryalex likes this.
  8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ordering a Spider and it is 2 years, LOL!

Thecadster, D11 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    And he says the F12 is still the best Ferrari! ;)

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on a great choice!

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    He’s not right or wrong. We as a society are constantly searching for the newer and better and equate the two. If someone finds something they truly click with, there’s nothing wrong with clinging to the assertion of its superiority.

As a journalist, though, he does have a responsibility to speak more objectively on the matters.

ryalex likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Who knows, maybe?

It's an awesome car with a lot to offer. If you like what you have now, the SF90 will blow you away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

D11 likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Super cars may be all stellar on objective criteria, but their driving dynamics are extremely differentiated and as with appearance, highly subjective.

14. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Of course you should. As much as I love my F8, it's simply not on the same level as the SF90. The car is breaking track records left and right. I personally believe it's best supercar/hypercar currently in production that you can buy at any price.

15. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    When are you getting yours? Coupe or Spider?

16. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Coupe. Paid my deposit on 26 July. No idea when I'll get it, but my configuration is showing in my Ferrari app, so that's a good sign.

Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    You say you’re not fond of the looks. So is this a gamble that the styling will grow on you (unlikely) or you think you can make money on it (even less likely)?

You’ll no doubt be blow away by the performance so ask yourself if that alone is enough for you to buy one over any other similarly priced exotic (including used). It’s quite possible that the SF90 replacement will be unveiled very soon after you take delivery of yours. It’ll be faster, and possibly even more visually attractive to you. Heck, it may even have a screaming V12.

18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Harris’s argument this time is that the SF90 he recently drove feels differently calibrated to the first one. The first one was a standard car and this one was an AF car?! I think he is being wilfully down on the SF90 because he doesn’t like the idea of a hybrid. We just returned from a 2k mile Spain/Portugal roadtrip and I can say the car was faultless and absolutely brilliant to drive. In the last 10 years I have driven about 25k Ferrari roadtrip miles around Europe and these SF90 miles were absolutely the best. We have old cars, new cars, big cars, small cars. The SF90 performed magnificently in the Spanish mountains and just drove away from everything else. It is fun, fast, rewarding, engaging, adrenaline-fuelled brilliance. Not trying to persuade anyone to do anything but if you listen to the guff about this car, you could miss out in a brilliant experience. It’s always the same with ‘change the rules’ cars. The 12C had it too and I remember that being nothing like the criticism it received either.

Corsaspider, stavura, D11 and 10 others like this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Thou doth incessantly feel compelled to repeat the glories of your SF90. Rest assured, your message has been received.

20. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    What’s the problem with that?
    Isn't this forum also about owners sharing their experiences?

TMO98000, 350MH83, D11 and 5 others like this.
  21. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Now that I’m thinking of ordering one the looks are growing on me. Plus 1000hp!

Now what color:

Red
    Yellow
    White

Caeruleus11, ScrappyB and ryalex like this.
  22. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Whatever you do, it needs a metallic and ideally a three layer pearl. Those simple curves look much better with some depth to the paint.

IRL I've seen one rossa corso and Elettrico and one IIRC in TdF there is no comparison, the metallic finish makes it pop.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I’d go Blu Elettrico. Launch spec minus the stripe and carbon wheels. Base or forged wheels painted in gloss black.

Or, Viola Hong Kong with yellow calipers, gloss black wheels.

AF pack is a must in my opinion.

Thecadster, Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  24. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Or, it might be 100% electric ...

But, given the EU noise restriction timelines, screaming will likely not be possible except for "in-cabin" via hot tube (or completely artificially generated)...

plenty of unknowns for what's happening in 2024

ScrappyB and JJ77 like this.
  25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    My own enjoyment of our own car is my business and it matters not what the opinion of others is (for example one of my driving buddies doesn’t like the look of our car - do you like it’s look?…”no, it’s ugly!” I also have another friend who sold his SF90 quickly because he said it was ‘soulless’, something I profoundly disagree with but both are absolutely entitled to their views and we’re all good friends). But when there is so much nonsense being proffered, especially when there are what I believe to be confusing opinions given by respected journalists, I think it’s only reasonable for a contributor to fchat to counter such opinions if he/she has experience and finds different. This thread is titled “talk me out of…” so it’s rather relevant don’t you think?

My findings may not be for everyone but my ‘ugly’ friend drove the car and was deeply impressed. I don’t think my views are far adrift and the general view about the car from 12 other drivers on our trip was very positive.

N.B. Hopefully you also see that I could substitute the SF90 in your comment with 765 LT and send it back…:)

stavura, 350MH83, D11 and 9 others like this.