New Air Levellers for 17295 | FerrariChat

New Air Levellers for 17295

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rovexienus, Sep 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Back at the end of May 2021, I received a set of Air Levellers manufactured by bill26. I finally had them installed on 17295.

They are simply GREAT! Much better ride, look and feel compared to traditional shock absorbers which are installed on my other 365 (17425).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The installation is straightforward according to the mechanic who did the job following Bill's instructions translated in French.

Il Tifoso and raemin like this.
  2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    That's great news, what's the cost? Does he also provide the rubber boot?

I've recently seen on partscollector and superformance that they do sell load levelers, anyone does have experience with these. At first sight these do not look like the stock setup, maybe some monroe load levelers with a rubber boot and custom spring?

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    No springs on mine, but they do have a dust cover(rubber boot).

5. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I would REALLY be interested in getting two new Series I self levelers and springs. OR, having mine rebuilt.

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    My self-levelers do not have springs. It is my understanding that when replacing these levellers by regular shocks a set of (70kg/150lb ?) springs is added so has to compensate for the lift the levellers would normally provide. My levellers do however have a rubber boot that is missing on Jean-Michel's suspension. I have replaced the levellers 10 years ago and the previous ones were just the same (no springs and a rubber boot).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

There is a schrader (?) valve on these refurbished levellers. Is this for topping out nitrogen (Jeff Leblond was performing such a modification back then) or does it mean these are regular air-shoks that one can re-fill with a compressor?

These "fat" levellers do look really nice...

7. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Those shocks from bill26 look exactly like the ones from superperformance.

I suppose the ride height can be altered by inflating the shocks.
    Can rovexienus or someone else confirm this?

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I might be wrong but Bill & Superformance products do really look like customized Gabriel HiJackers. (Any markings next to the valve would make the identification easier). See shocks next to each other:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

By contrast PartsCollector products do look like monroe load leveler with custom (lighter) spring and specific rubber boot.

The monroe are more sophisticated as they are "real" leveller, but the other solution does look more stock.

9. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    So still no proof that the height of the shocks can be altered?

10. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    The load levellers fitted to 365 (Queen Mary), 365 GTC4, 365GT4 2+2, 400 & 400i (Series 1) all have the same part number (even if there are many internal variants under this part number).

They all have the same set point and will seek an "eye-to-eye" length of 400mm. This measurement will set the ride height at the original Ferrari design rear ride height.

Air Levellers cannot/will not automatically adjust the vehicle ride height for varying loads.

They enable adjustment of ride height (within a wide range) for a given load, or, bringing the vehicle back to the design ride height (by varying the internal air pressure) to compensate for different loads.

Regards
    WM

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Thanks Bill for clarifying this.

Could you confirm these are "soft"? Regular (monroe) airshocks are way to stiff and make the ride unpleasant.

Would be nice to add a rubber boot and the newer logos (see my pic).

As advertising is closely regulated here, I will ask Jean-Michel for the pricing...

12. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's exactly what I was hoping for.
    Thanks a lot.