Euro GT racers richer? | FerrariChat

Euro GT racers richer?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Oct 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Watching the Fanatec GT World Challenge on TV. I know Blancpain is out there too. I don’t even know all the series.

My impression is there is so much more big money doing these gentleman/pro GT races in Europe. Is most of the money manufacturers or rich folks like Weather Tech family does USA? Drivers look younger and more professional. Big professional support teams. Top prepared and expensive cars like 488 GT3.

in comparison in USA seems like we have 1/10th the effort.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’ve noticed this too and it’s the same story across just about all of motorsports and the automobile hobby in general.

Also there’s a distinct lack of skilled craftsmen in the U.S. as compared with, say, the U.K. As an example why is it necessary to send a car badge to a tiny village in England to be restored, to a shop so busy that the turnaround time is 12 months? Shouldn’t I be able to get that done here?

Don’t even get me started on publication of high quality books and magazines on automotive subjects, which, with the sad passing of David Bull leaves only Dalton Watson and maybe a few obscure publishers.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It. Has always been bigger in Europe. That’s why F1 castoffs are successful in American racing. We suck.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Of course it is Rob, much bigger and yes the budgets too, many more high quality circuits as well. This is exactly parallel to what I have been trying to explain to you in the Maserati section, the classic Maserati world is also much bigger in Europe and if you finally got around to give it a proper "Maseratichat" name and direct access, without separation from Fchat BUT without it being a stepchild forum inside a Ferrari forum you would have a LOT of new participation from Europe (and the rest of the world) because a lot of people within and witout the European Maserati clubs would REFER traffic to Maseratichat; recommend it to their Maseratisti friends.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Euro GT3 racing does get more direct MFR involvement than here, particularly Spa and Nurburgring 24. that might be the "younger, more professional" drivers you're seeing (junior factory drivers gaming the driver ranking system)

but yes, there's a ton of money in Europe, and it seems like its more likely that a wealthy guy would be interested in racing at that level in Europe than the USA. In America, it seems to either be vintage racing, or team ownership. You don't see as many wealthy sportsmen driving in "pro" series here, it seems.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    In the U.S., the NASCAR factor cannot be overlooked as well.

Anyone coming up in racing in the U.S. has their sights set on NASCAR as that's where the money
    is and their the 800lb gorilla on the block.

More later after my coffee kicks in.

BHW

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    FIFY :)

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A few things to consider. In the US no one really cares that much about Pirelli World Challenge...err..World Challenge GT America....err...SRO America Challenge World...whatever it is called these days.

The teams with the big budgets run in IMSA. Their championship is more expensive to run than a lot of the European championships. A lot of the reason for that is the length of the races run in IMSA, 24 hours, 12 hours, 10 hours, 6 hours, etc..

I also agree with what Chas said, a lot of the younger guys have factory or other sponsorship support that is paying for the program. This is where the fun world of driver rankings comes in.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't see how these have anything to do with each other. FerrariChat is fueled by enthusiasts, 85% of them in America, has nothing to do with money, but volume and passion. If Maserati had similar enthusiasm there would already be a community out there as large as Ferrari.

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Interestingly you often hear the top pros describe how much they love racing in America on the old school tracks and not those that have been neutered by F1/FIA.

lorenzobandini, rob lay and Nembo1777 like this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very true, Elkhart is fabulous as is the atmosphere there and driving an F50 round there in 97 thanks to its owner Dr Tom Murphy was very special, Mid Ohio too, can't wait to drive COTA. Then north of the border Mont Tremblant is very appealing among other. Thankfully only a few tracks have been castrated by F1 Tilke-ism.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    CF my answer in the other thread...What these two situations have to do with each other is that you were aware of neither, just saying this as a fact. Now let's please take this up only in the other thread to make it simple.

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am heading to Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in a few weeks. Fantastic track, fantastic atmosphere, great racing..can't wait!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are the one that hijacked this thread, now you are running.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes great track too, I visited it in 1998, it was just a track day but I did not get to go out on track.

I tested the last genuine Maserati Tipo 151 at Lime Rock for my Octane magazine article; that is a very enjoyable one, love the Twisties at the back and the up and down sections.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    No just ceasing the hijack:)

Enjoy the GP at COTA this weekend:)

rob lay likes this.
  17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I have several racing friends which fly to Europe to go racing because the cost is less than in the US.
    I have a hard time processing this. You have to think about it. Every weekend in Europe someone is racing at an event. I believe the real reason is there is one governing body FIA which dominates all racing Europe. In the US we have too many organizations running events which drive the cost upward.
    So basically, teams are racing every weekend in Europe which drives the cost down and the FIA governs most of the racing which keeps the rules, cost and fee's down.

18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    My take: there are more money available for motorsport in Europe in order to avoid taxes.

Let's assume you are a business owner or a high flying executive in a multi-billion European multinational. Instead of paying 40%-50% on all your personal income, you instead make a contract deal with a racing team. Instead of taking €1M in salary or dividends and having to pay €400k-€500k in taxes, you send €500k to a racing team as payment of a sponsorship deal and put it in the books as marketing expenses. So you paid for your GT season free of taxes. Imagine the myriad of transactions that can be made, including between companies.

As you said, sometimes I get astonished on the amount of financial resources, racing teams, and championships available in Europe. And to be honest, some stuff seems doesn't make sense at all. Take for example Rebellion Racing. They had gigantic operations, high caliber drivers under contract, but the founder's business was a electrical connectors company that was never advertised on the car...

Not sure if having only the FIA keeps costs down, because they are not the organizers or promoters, each championship had its own.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  19. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    This is a silly comment, but I love looking at the racing trucks and haulers in Europe. The racing rigs are just amazing. The US has box trucks. In Europe the transporters look like modern houses on wheels. The drivers lounge looks better than my house.
    I would go to the race just to see the racing setups.

Thomas S. likes this.
  20. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    As long as the wages do not coincide with the skill sets involved you will see this trend continue.Most craftsmen like myself steer younger people away from the industry. Better wages can be obtained for far less skill investment in other industries.

Nembo1777 likes this.